VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me out- I don't eat mac and cheese often, but sometimes I just get a craving. I bought a box of Road's End Organics Cheddar style, and it is okay, but I had to dump a lot of salt and pepper on it first. Does anyone have anything else that is better? This is good enough, and maybe I am expecting too much, but I was hoping for something a little tastier. Or course, at least it isn't neon orange, and it is probably just the fact that it is so low in salt-- shocked my tastebuds after the usual over processed crap, lol.

***Sorry, I put this is the wrong spot accidentally. Can anyone move it for me?***

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Are you vegan or vegetarian?

If you're vegetarian, try Annie's. They're all pretty tasty.

Personally, I like Road's End Mac and "Chreese", but I wasn't expecting it to be exactly like cheese when I first tried it. That's the one thing with vegan "cheese", its not anywhere near as good tasting as the real thing, IMO.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I love the Road's End Organic - cheddar style shells. I think it takes getting used to. Have you tried added extra soymilk and Earth Balance (or something similar)? It makes it a lot creamier! I had to experiment for awhile to get it to the right consistency.

You could try vegcooking.com or the VB Recipe sections for other mac and "cheese" recipes. I don't have any in particular that I can recommend, though, sorry.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vegan (as of a week ago!) I wasn't expecting it to be as good either, and that is my attitude towards all of these new things. I have been pleasantly surprised a few times now. Road's end will do if it has to, I might even like it better after trying it a few times, but I was just trying to see if anyone had another alternatives out there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

I love the Road's End Organic - cheddar style shells. I think it takes getting used to. Have you tried added extra soymilk and Earth Balance (or something similar)? It makes it a lot creamier!(
Yeah, I think that was it- I can handle the flavor difference, I was expecting it, but it just is so thick. I actually doubled the 1/4 milk that it did call for and I did add a bit of earth balance, but not a lot. So maybe I will mess with that a bit too..

·
Registered
37 Posts
There's a great nutriyeast recipe... the classic is in "The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook"... there's a more recent, mostly as good, and less time consuming version of the recipe in "La Dolce Vegan" (the third in the How it all vegan series). The second cookbook is probably more purchase-worthy, just 'cause it has a huge range of yummy, easy recipes... If I remember the recipe right, to make the sauce, combine on the stove: 1 cup water, 1/2 cup nutritional yeast, 2 tbsp flour, a little salt, 2 tsp oil, some dijon mustard & some soy sauce... you can add paprika, garlic sauce & whatever else to taste. Bring to a boil, turn down & wait until it thickens. Make the macaroni on the stove & mix with the sauce when it's done. You can bake in the oven to smooth it out if you like. If you don't like nutriyeast, I think there's another one with vegan cheese in the cookbook too. Enjoy!

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

Yeah, if you're vegetarian, I would go after frozen, not boxed.
Why? Nothing beats Kraft boxes.

But when I'm looking for a vegan alternative, so far only the frozen variety has been edible (with lots of pepper added to mask the flavor).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts