VeggieBoards banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does green tea that has been decaffeinated still retain the same amount of antioxidants as caffeinated green tea? I read an article a while back that said something to the effect of the decaffeination process destroying a lot of the flavonoids, but now looking again I can't find that article or anything else on the topic. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
As for tea I don't know if the flavonoids are retained, but I guess that they are. I know about decaff. coffee however that the it increases the risk for getting rheumatoid arthritis. So I agree with Collin to use non-decaff. grean tea.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I've read there's a few different decaffeination methods. I'd rather stick with the caffeinated, but I drink a lot of green tea (probably about 8-10 cups) everyday so I figure it might be a bit better to cut down a little from that ~300mg caffeine or at least mix the two.

·
Registered
219 Posts
my goodness.. that's a lot of tea. But I suppose it is much better to be drinking that many cups of green tea rather than that many cups of coffee like a lot of people do. Personally, I've heard so many horror stories about the decaffing process that I would personally stick with the regular green tea unless you can find a decaf green tea brand that indicates they decaf the tea in a more natural manner... but I don't even know if that is possible. But if you are still really worried, maybe you could switch things up with some different teas during the day that are naturally non-caffeinated like red teas, herbal teas, and such.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts