VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you ready?

I'm not talking about ready for dealing with the death of others. I'm talking about you.

Could you die right now? If you knew you were going to die in 20 minutes, would you be comfortable? (Keep the sarcastic comments to a minimum... that just suggests you're trying to avoid reality.)

This doesn't seem to be a topic that many people bring up, but it just happens to be one of the only universal topics.

·
Registered
54 Posts
No, I'm definitely not ready. My man and I just moved in together and...I want a whole lifetime with him! Plus I have some professional projects that won't come to fruition for a few more months, and I'm SERIOUSLY excited about them!

So, no. Not ready.

But if it happens, it happens. I'll just roll with it. Death doesn't scare me - only the deaths of my loved ones.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNEasy View Post

No, I'm definitely not ready. My man and I just moved in together and...I want a whole lifetime with him! Plus I have some professional projects that won't come to fruition for a few more months, and I'm SERIOUSLY excited about them!

So, no. Not ready.

But if it happens, it happens. I'll just roll with it. Death doesn't scare me - only the deaths of my loved ones.
How long is a lifetime? If you died while living together at any point, wouldn't that be a lifetime? Or would you by definition have to extend living together beyond the time you've already lived to essentially equal your specific lifetime?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbows View Post

How long is a lifetime? If you died while living together at any point, wouldn't that be a lifetime? Or would you by definition have to extend living together beyond the time you've already lived to essentially equal your specific lifetime?
By a lifetime I mean both of us living until we're well into our 70s - at least. I want to have a family with him and see our kids grown (I'm already in my 30s).

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
I'm not ready to die, and some of the reasons are that I have much left to do, to experience to leave behind when I die.

In a very practical way, my life is too messy right now, so much unfinished business, like seeing my daughter graduate high school, get a solid education and be well into a career she loves and will provide her the opportunities to support herself well after I am gone. I also want to leave a house and money for my child when I die and those goals are FAR off.

On a selfish level, I want to experience more joy, relaxation, deep moments, fun, passion and security before I die.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I don't fear death so I guess I'm ready? Death seems fairly simplistic. It's the people left behind that get screwed and have no choice but to deal with it when I die but life goes on, the pain lessens with time though it never completely fades.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
What do you have to be ready for?

(Rainbows, your threads are always so uplifting.....)

·
Registered
711 Posts
Yes. There's no-one dependant on me, I have no property or money to leave behind, and no plans for what to do with my life beyond June.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
I would be ready. I don't know if 20 mins is enough time for all the goodbye phone calls I'd want to make.
I have zero attachment to the physical, my mind is one over all.
If it is my time to go, then may I rejoice that my body decomposes and the atoms that made up my body be recycled to fertilize a beautiful flower or feed a fuzzy rabbit.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
i'm prepared and my parents know what to do with me if i'm unable to make my own medical decisions. but i'm not ready to die on any given day.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Psh I'm not ready. Too much to do. Travel the world, teach kids, hopefully find a special lady. What also bothers me is what it would do to my parents if I were to die before them. It would probably break them, at least my mom, for quite a long time.

Also death is rather unnerving. I'm having a bit of what one could call an "existential crisis" at the moment. Doesn't help that I spent last week worrying I may have some fatal organ disease, and the week before that 2 of my classes were completely focused on death. :/

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Dying a virgin would suck pretty badly, yes.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
No I'm not ready to die. I don't want to die, ever. I don't want to stop existing and being conscious. I'm not particularly attached to having a body, since it is so limiting, but I like being aware.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post

I will never die
This! It's a major benefit of being a veg*n.

But seriously no. I have a family that needs to be provided for and my son need a few more years of exposure to my my "wisdom" before he's emotionally/mentally ready to be a well adjusted adult.

But as for me and me alone. Sure I'm ready. After all, when you're dead, you aren't aware of it, so it's no big deal. It's just like being asleep ...permanently.

Although, given a choice, I would choose life.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
No, I'm not ready to die. There are more things I want to do and experience.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Tell me, who IS ready to die, I mean really. Other than people that commit suicide. If you don't commit suicide, I'm assumed you don't want to/aren't read to die.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
No because of my family. Plus I wouldn't want to know I only had 20 mins. That would really make me crazy. I would get all panicky, nervous and freak out about all the last things I had to do in that little amount of time. That's just way too much pressure and would make those last final moments suck.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
i never really will be. but at the same time, i am pretty sure the highlight of my life has passed by now, so i am not too upset to die

1 - 20 of 64 Posts