VeggieBoards banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sigh... I really need to get off social networking sites....it's such a downer when just the mere mention of the word vegan has the angry carnist hordes swarming. Whats more bothersome is so many ignorant want to stay that way... I can't stand when people use false information. I did alot of research when I when I started my journey to vegetarian and then veganism... I still do because there is always something new to learn so when someone says something so blatantly ignorant and stupid about something they obviously have no idea about whatsoever, it irks me to no end. I wonder, does it get any easier dealing with the stupid things omnivores say?<br>
The picture was of a newborn calf with the tale of how he was torn from his mother and doomed to the miserable existance on a veal farm and how could anyone drink milk knowing that.... I commented telling my friend that that was one of the many many reasons I am vegan and gave her some information (knowing shes an omni) about the real horrors of dairy farming. I promptly got reactions like these from her friends:<br><br>
-Wow you guys need to come to Alberta, Our Milk cows sleep on waterbeds. They also do in Germany too. Milk cows are treated Very, very well and so are there babies because they are the next gereration of milk cows.<br><br>
-if we are greedy pigs for drinking milk, then by the same logic, calves would then be cannibals.<br><br>
-a chicken will lay an egg if it is eady regardless if a human gives it consent or not . wow<br><br>
-as for the dairy calves, they are allowed to sufficiently suckle of the mothers at certain times each day. holsteins produce more milk than any calf could consume in a day. in fact if they were't milked and nursed on regularly every day, you wouldn't have replacement cows as the calves would die, and the mothers would develop mastitis.<br><br>
-the point i was tryng to make about your statement that somehow its inhuman of us to want to drink cow milk, is tattamount to saying that by the same logic calves are then cruel beasts too for drinking milk. ALL mammals drink milk - it makes no difference if your human, bovine, carnivore or whatever! animals of different species raise the orphan babies of other species. thats nature, not exploitation<br><br>
- its true natural genetics, genetic enhancement and sellective breeding to list a few has produced "super cows" that can deliver many litres of milk a day. the same goes for wheat, barley, soya, beans, tomatoes, chickens and everything else we eat, be it animal or plant. you need to remember htat "eating veggies" and not meat, affects animals negatively too. the more plants we eat, the more land we require to produce. so where does that land come from? its taken from the wild and turned into farmland. wild animals and plants are eradicated. many have become extinct through humans doing this and destruction of natural habitat. so even being a vegan affects animals. its not about whether you eat meat or plants - i eat both and with a vengeance lol - its about BALANCE.<br><br>
-its about respect for the commodities we use to support and sustain us - be it meat or plant - on earth - in all its forms. and that we have to learn to give back to compensate equally for what we take, before we have any hope of restoring a balance. i am not knocking your beliefs at all. i am jus ttrying to point out, that the repurcussions of idealism reach much further than we usually think about<br><br>
Anyways, sorry so long....just so frustrating to deal with... I replied to the first few comments but the last three I havent... she works in the industry and it's like fighting with a wall, she wouldn't accept truth or matter of fact if it hit her in the head... I can post all sides of this if wanted, just didn't want to make my rant any longer then it already is. Sigggghhhh.....

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
My friendly take on this is to let it pass. It's her bread and butter (so to speak), and to say anything else will keep the argument going. If the friendship is worth it to you, let it go, or don't bring it up in the first place. If the friendship isn't worth it to you, stop talking to her. Hang out with other people.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
It can make you want to scream, I know. My take on the matter is that our way of living causes others to look at their own which makes for discomfort and throws them into defensive mode; hence the waaay out there answers. It's just part of the deal. Sorry you had such a tough time.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
'Lo Taiya, sorry to hear that the great unwashed are grinding your gears.<br><br>
Problem here is that most people are so deeply buried in the dirt that they simply cannot see the light of day.<br><br>
On the upside it is possible to have a little bit of 'cruel to be kind' fun by poking holes in the dirt and letting a little daylight in.<br><br>
This piece o'poo , f'rinstance ...<br><br>
" .. holsteins produce more milk than any calf could consume in a day. in fact if they were't milked and nursed on regularly every day, you wouldn't have replacement cows as the calves would die, and the mothers would develop mastitis."<br><br>
Q. "Are Holsteins (it is the Holstein-Freisian hybrid that is the super lactater nowadays, btw) not specificaly bred simply because they produce more milk than a natural cow would?"<br><br>
A. Some variation of "errrr .." or "well, yes, I guess .."<br><br>
Q. "So the problems of overlactation in Holsteins are problems that have been deliberately created by humans?"<br><br>
Best just to watch and see if the mud dweller at hand moves towards whatever light that may cast into their world of darkness or shrinks away from it before continuing, of course ..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts