VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm notoriously hard to offend. I tend to be able to brush off stupid comments by people and whatever is thrown at me. I work with cops. They've taught me lots on how to brush off stupid people saying stupid things about the profession and us as people in general. I don't know if this week I'm being an over sensitive little pansy since I've ran out of Paxil and can't see my doctor until tomorrow and beg her to give me lots and lots of Xanax to last me until I can see a shrink, or if I've finally met someone so ignorant that they've managed to genuinely bother me. So, uh, bear with me VB because I can't see a therapist until the 6th of July and I may have snapped by then.

So, here's the deal. I've been a vegetarian for going on eight years. I'm obviously committed to it. My living situation has been strange for a while since my apartment is run by a literal slumlord and I've essentially moved in with my boyfriend since January. Around the same time, his roommate started dating a rather...immature eighteen year old straight from the hog farms of Nebraska who I'm sure has never encountered a vegetarian before.

She's around just as much as I am, and while that's fine and whatever, this girl apparently lacks the ability to comprehend that this whole crazy vegetarian diet does exist and I follow it strictly. My boyfriend honestly believes that I am the first vegetarian she's ever met. So, attempting to share a kitchen with this girl and her boyfriend can only be described as a living hell. As I type this, there is bacon grease sitting in an open bowl by the sink, and she's boiling water to inevitably make macaroni and cheese with bacon or hot dogs or something that definitely involves pork products.

I honestly don't understand how this girl is skinny with the amount of bacon she consumes. I'm a little disgusted, really.

So, every freaking time this girl decides to cook, she will force bacon on me. Bacon. Bacon. Bacon. I feel like I'm stuck in a freaking Beggin' Strips commercial with talking dogs wanting bacon. And every time, I politely decline, and then it hits her that I will not be eating her abominations of food because I can not and will not eat meat.

Bacon.

All the time.

Bacon.

It's a food group.

I've asked her to not offer me food ever, and she says that she won't do it again, but the next time she cooks, there's bacon being shoved in my general direction. Going out to restaurants is pretty much hell because she will try so hard to make me try her bacon laced food and put it on my plate.

It takes every ounce of energy to not completely ****ing lose it on this girl because she doesn't have the mental capacity to understand that vegetarians don't eat meat.

Other omnis occasionally forget. Even my boyfriend, the tolerant omni will occasionally forget that I wouldn't want to go on a fishing weekend. But this happens rarely. Some people forget that I won't pick meat out of food, or that most soups have chicken or beef based broths.

At some point, it crosses the line of sheer ignorance and enters the disrespectful territory. If I can remember that she hates onions after the first time I made dinner for everyone, then she can remember I won't eat meat and to not offer me it. I'm trying to not be an ass about it, but how hard is it to remember that I do not eat bacon and I find it just as revolting as this girl finds onions? It's disrespectful because if you can't take the thirty seconds to ask me a few questions about my diet and commit that to memory and remember it, you really have issues.

For me, it is the closest thing to a religious belief I have. She's a somewhat religious person, so I would have figured that she would have reasoned with that and understood that it's not going to change. Then again, this girl has also asked one of my boyfriend's Jewish friends if he wanted to try her ~amaaaazing~ bacon and cheese abominations of food. And then asked why he couldn't eat pork products because ohmahgawd bacon bacon bacon.

So, vb. Help me not kill this girl between now and July 6, and hope to all things good and holy I can make it until the end of July. Next year I'm living with my boyfriend and a mutual friend of ours, so it's not an endless thing. Right now, however, it feels like forever.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Well, there's the broken record technique: Just keep saying NO, over and over and over, like a broken record.

There's Lorrie Morgan's famous question: What part of 'NO' don't you understand?

Vesanto Melina has a section on "vegetarian diplomacy" on her website (and in her books):

http://www.nutrispeak.com/vegetariandiplomacy.htm

Carol Adams also has a fine book titled Living Among the Meat Eaters.

ETA: You could get a copy of Meet Your Meat and pop it in the DVD player while she's around.

·
Registered
806 Posts
You don't have much time. I say you kill her before she gets away

Perhaps it's how you've worded it, I dunno... but she sounds a little thick. If she's not leaving you alone, just make it known that you're not her friend. You wont eat her "food", you wont hang out or talk with her, and you wont brake if you notice her crossing the street

You could also unplug the cord to the stove every morning... Anything to inconvenience the barbarians

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
I don't agree with the killing..... not yet. I say go with the onion plan. Endless cooking of onions whenever she is around then offer her some. Order onions whenever you go out to eat with her then ask her to try some of your delicious oniony meal. "Accidently" leave out raw chopped onion pieces all over the kitchen. Make onions for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Get some onion revenge!!!!!!!!!!!!
Then you can kill her.

Seriously: you only have a week and half or so left with this girl which will hopefully fly by. If this "Baconater" continues with her constant bacon pushing maybe have a talk with her bf about it. Maybe he'll be more successful in getting her to understand. (Although honestly I think all the bacon eatin' has somehow killed some of her brain cells and she is beyond hope
)

·
Registered
806 Posts
It's a pity you've only got a short time left with her
I'd suggest hiding a pack of bacon for.... 6 months? Then replace the latest one they've purchased with the one you've had hidden in the closet. Everytime they wake up for bacon and eggs they'll spend the next 20 minutes throwing it up
Oh, the fun you could have...

There was nothing in the veggie manual that said we had to be nice people

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by katt View Post

I work with cops. They've taught me lots on how to brush off stupid people saying stupid things about the profession and us as people in general.
That's the surprising part about your post. In my experience a lot of officers do anything but brush off perceived disrespect - they get angry and start hassling or arresting people. Not all of them, but many.

Reactions: Purp

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the brilliant comments, everyone. They at least help me put things into perspective and make me feel like I'm not overreacting too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

Well, there's the broken record technique: Just keep saying NO, over and over and over, like a broken record.ETA: You could get a copy of Meet Your Meat and pop it in the DVD player while she's around.
That's been my strategy so far, as well as my patented death glare that will put even the simplest form of human in their place. I figure that trying to convert is a lost cause because this girl is so brainwashed by her family's beliefs about animals that she gets defensive every time I point out the obvious flaws in her argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I don't agree with the killing..... not yet. I say go with the onion plan. Endless cooking of onions whenever she is around then offer her some. Order onions whenever you go out to eat with her then ask her to try some of your delicious oniony meal. "Accidently" leave out raw chopped onion pieces all over the kitchen. Make onions for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Get some onion revenge!!!!!!!!!!!!
Then you can kill her.

Seriously: you only have a week and half or so left with this girl which will hopefully fly by. If this "Baconater" continues with her constant bacon pushing maybe have a talk with her bf about it. Maybe he'll be more successful in getting her to understand. (Although honestly I think all the bacon eatin' has somehow killed some of her brain cells and she is beyond hope
)
It's until August that she's around, so it's a bit longer. However, I find the onion idea brilliant. I freaking love onions and so does my boyfriend. I wonder how I can make a primarily onion based dish to offer to her now. *thinks*

It's midnight, so that means it's a good time to chop onions, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

That's the surprising part about your post. In my experience a lot of officers do anything but brush off perceived disrespect - they get angry and start hassling or arresting people. Not all of them, but many.
Yeah. I get that a lot. And I don't get it because everyone I work with is awesome and don't care what people think of what they do for a living. We're pretty chill in our department. I'm just a student security peon, but our officers are real police officers, not rent-a-cops.

I've given up on this girl a long time ago, because let's face it. Someone who has drank the koolaid of a corporation as screwed up as Smithfield or whatever large corporate farm her family works for is never going to understand me. Even trying to explain things like the HSUS not being an extremist organization (seriously?) has fallen on deaf ears. She's tried to justify things like the living conditions and I sit there with this blank look on my face as I'm trying to comprehend it. I kind of actually find it fun to bait her and listen to her try to defend corporate farming because I find it hilarious, since my grandparents still own a small family farm in the midwest so I actually have the experience to know it really isn't that way.

I think I'm being an oversensitive pansy this week, but the bacon chocolate chip cookies threw me over the edge. I wish I could say I was trolling, but they used my pans to make bacon cookies last night when I nearly snapped. Thank god there was foil on it or else I probably would have tossed them because no amount of cleaning would remove the taint of such a terrible, horrible no good idea like bacon cookies. That stuff gets down to the core and every time I'd look at my pizza pan I'd think "bacon. bacon. bacon. bacon and chocolate. bacon chocolate chip cookies. bacon. bacon. BACON. BACON BACON PIGS BACON EAT PORK BACON BACON" (would a priest help? I know a bishop who would bless my pan if I asked)

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Ordinarily, I have the reputation of being a really nice person...but even I would have snapped by now.

I LOVE the onion idea...totally go for it...and the broken record. Seriously, the time for being nice has passed. She needs a taste of her own medicine.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

I like the onion idea, but I would use a vegetable that she hates for maximum effect.
She does hate onions.

I like this idea. It's not crazy mean, but is annoying enough to give her a piece of your mind. Tell us how it goes

·
Registered
982 Posts
Holy moley, I would have fricken flipped out by now. I applaud your immense control. You are verging on sainthood, in my eyes. I don't like onions and even I would go with the onion cooking tactic. She probably won't get the comparison, but at least you'll have some fun until the Xanax arrives!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back-Space View Post

It's a pity you've only got a short time left with her
I'd suggest hiding a pack of bacon for.... 6 months? Then replace the latest one they've purchased with the one you've had hidden in the closet. Everytime they wake up for bacon and eggs they'll spend the next 20 minutes throwing it up
Oh, the fun you could have...

There was nothing in the veggie manual that said we had to be nice people
Epic win!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.