VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past few weeks, I've been trying to transition to a new diet with veganism being the ultimate goal. I've messed up a lot in less than a month. I don't want to waste food by sending it back when it comes out with cheese on it, and I have eaten bits of cake. I got a tattoo this past weekend and was about to pass out. My boyfriend insisted I eat some red meat. Now, in the middle of the night, I've eaten three crappy leftover chicken strips.

I always, always regret when I eat an animal product, and I can say I've significantly cut down in the past few weeks. But I haven't been vegetarian, let alone vegan. I almost threw up when I realized how disgusting the chicken was.

Help?

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
It's easier for some people to transition than it is for others. You don't have to go cold turkey. If you are really serious about making the change, keep trying. I would definitely work on being vegetarian first if you are having that hard a time of it.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
no worries. try your best and you will be there. not everyone can make it right away without fails

·
Registered
331 Posts
Don't beat yourself up too much. That wont help anything. Celebrate the positives and keep some vegetarian snacks in the house. May I recommend flat bread, hummus and olives. Just an awesome snack.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Don't feel guilty. You may not have eaten totally vegetarian/vegan, but you have eaten less meat than you did last month. That's progress, so give yourself a pat on the back for that.

Most people find changing lifelong habits to be hard - many people take a good while, going backwards and forwards between an omnivorous diet and a veggie one, before finally getting there. It's okay, it's normal.

Well done for taking the first steps - they are the hardest. Keep going, we are all cheering you on!

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I have not 100 percent stopped eating meat and dairy products cold turkey the reason is that my husband and I been under alot of stress and we were evicted where we was at and I had no choice this year. Since we have health problems and I have mouth problems, I am eating less and less product by an animal and eat the healthier things on the market.
You will learn more things as you go as you explore, I am still exploring but, I am just giving one step at a time. I am hoping by next year or two I'll be 100 percent free from animal products.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

It's easier for some people to transition than it is for others. You don't have to go cold turkey. If you are really serious about making the change, keep trying. I would definitely work on being vegetarian first if you are having that hard a time of it.
I agree. Perhaps a slower transition would be easier on you. I would also suggest really thinking about where meat comes from. You seem to have some emotional ties to food which is a problem lots of people have. Try to change the way you think about meat in particular. Don't view it as food that "is going to be wasted" if you don't eat it. It's a dead animal, not food. You can try to implement the same kind of thinking towards dairy, eggs, and any other animal product if you want, but that may be something you have to work up to. I'm not saying don't do it. I just don't want you to feel overwhelmed.

When I was seriously considering going vegetarian a few years ago, I too would begrudgingly eat meat and then feel guilty about it. I would think to myself, "This really doesn't taste that great, and an animal died so I could eat this." I was pretty ignorant about nutrition though and wasn't sure if it was healthy to eat no meat at all. I would suggest reading up on it. Educate yourself about the health benefits of a vegan diet. When you start to view meat, dairy, eggs, etc. as nonfood items that are the end result of horrible cruelty towards animals, you'll no longer feel that eating those things is even an option. Changing habits can be very difficult, but I applaud you for making the effort. Your heart is in the right place. I wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I would second making sure you have veg*n snacks around the house/on you at all times (such as a cereal bar in your bag). That way, meat is never going to be the only option available to you.

ps. we have a tattoo thread in the arts and hobbies forum - you cant mention a tattoo without posting a pic : p

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
Be sure the rest of your diet is satisfying and nourishing. Eat good food - whole grains, fruits and vegetables, legumes and nuts. Have good vegetarian options always available. The next time you need to eat in the middle of the night, consider making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich instead. And when your boyfriend thinks you're going to pass out, ask him for a baked potato, a slice of veggie pizza, spaghetti, or a veggie burger.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for your support. I will definitely be hanging around these forums.

@Pirate Ferret, I will definitely post a picture once it is done healing an isn't so scabby and gross.

@Spoonerism, that probably is how I will need to think about animal products eventually, but I'm so far from there. Thank you for the advice, however ^_^

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innogen View Post

...I don't want to waste food by sending it back when it comes out with cheese on it....

I always, always regret when I eat an animal product, and I can say I've significantly cut down in the past few weeks. But I haven't been vegetarian, let alone vegan. I almost threw up when I realized how disgusting the chicken was.

Help?
Vegetarians generally don't see meat as food, and therefore don't see it as "waste" when it's thrown out rather than eaten; vegans generally have the same view about foods containing egg, milk, etc. Personally, I feel that once something like that is ordered, the damage has been done- that is, the demand for it was created. Rather than throw it out, I would suggest giving it to a non-vegetarian or non-vegan human or animal for them to eat.

Mostly, I second what averyone else has posted. Remember: most people never even attempt vegetarianism and even fewer try veganism. As you've pointed out, you've already reduced your consumption of animal foods- and most important- you haven't given up!!!

Hang in there. We're here for you.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Something had came to mind, when Angel Food ministries was cheap and still around, we ordered monthly and thier chicken and meat boxes, this is way before I considered veg lifestyle and such. All the meat I got from them I only liked the steaks and some chicken stuff, I hated the rest because it was all bread spicey junk, the sausages was mushy and the ribs were ok but, it wasn't my cup of tea. So I took many months and just recently since we moved from the house we were evicted at that I tossed out loads of meat, I don't feel guilty, I just tell my husband and myself next week is a new week start over.

·
Registered
103 Posts
So glad to see this thread and know I'm not alone! And to see so much wonderful support
I have been vegetarian for several years, but have begun to transition to vegan eating several times only to be derailed..including today...I was doing great until I mindlessly ate a chocolate chip cookie with my kids after lunch. Just going to keep on moving forward tho!!

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
I had to quit smoking about seven times before I became a born-again nonsmoker.
I had to go vegan twice before it took.
Sometimes doing the right thing takes practice.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconbrother View Post

Don't beat yourself up too much. That wont help anything. Celebrate the positives and keep some vegetarian snacks in the house. May I recommend flat bread, hummus and olives. Just an awesome snack.
OMG Totally amazing snack. Especially with really good olive oil drizzled over the top of the bread and spread with a bit of garlic and lots of fresh basil. You can toast it in the oven....nom nom nom......!!!

·
Registered
386 Posts
It really will click for you. One day you'll just realize you haven't had any animal products in a month, and it will feel normal not to eat meat, not vice versa anymore. Keep at it - I'm proud of you for making an effort in the first place! You're a good person for that effort (and many other reasons, I'm sure
), remember that!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts