VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have many fellow vegetarians in my life, aside from my auntie, and one uncle out of nine. I haven't any veggie friends either, at least not online. Whenever I think of what I've seen from the meat industry etc, it makes me not only angry and despairing towards that itself, but also towards my family & friends. I don't take it out on them, I keep it suppressed. It's as if by eating meat they think the horror involved is perfectly healthy. I doubt my mother could sit through a MeetYourMeat video, but she'd still eat meat without a thought. As for my friend, he doesn't seem to care either. Now and again he'll make meat references and jokes, nothing in your face or vile, but enough for me to question his inconsideration towards my vegetarianism. I've contemplated not seeing him anymore, even though he's the closest friend I've ever had and we always have a good time together. Surely that's not right is it? It feels hard when you're emotionally isolated from everyone else.

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
I can relate. About three years ago my wife (who was my girlfriend at the time) and I became vegans. One quasi-friend was a vegetarian, but moved shortly after I became a vegan, and my wife's mom tries (claims) to be vegetarian, but eats fish, chicken, and jerky on occasion....

I've tried to not make it an issue with my family and friends. One friend in particular would bring it up at every social occasion and all those 'fun' social events would turn into me and my wife defending ourselves. It really sucked. I became rather tired of it, so I no longer hang out with him. I've also limited my social events with family for that reason and it seems every social event requires a BBQ. I've always been close with my friends and family, but my current lifestyle tends to make everyone around me feel like they need to nit-pick my lifestyle.

Anyways, I live in a college town and for the first 2 and a half years we (wife and I) knew no other veg*ns in the area. So we had very little social aspect to our lives, outside of family. Then a few months ago we got involved in a group on campus and now know lots of veg*ns. We've been trying to start monthly potlucks and social interactions. So that aspect has really helped.

If your current friend(s) don't respect your beliefs, perhaps it's time to move on. I'm not saying you should since ultimately that's for you to decide. Some people grow apart and negativity is not really a good thing in ones life. It'd be nice if you could meet some veg*n friends in your area. Just before my wife and I found the on campus group, we were contemplating posting signs around town saying "Vegans seeking other local vegans to have potlucks and to socialize." We thought that might be too extreme though.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This topic went down like a lead balloon! Thanks a lot for giving your two cents though, nogardsram. I appreciate it. I probably won't be cutting ties with my friend, because we are awfully close. While it would be nice to find fellow veggie friends, I can't use just that as a basis for friendship, as I'm sure you acknowledge. I'm not a very social person, so I don't have the prospect of conflict at say parties or BBQs, so that's cool. I do feel quite lonely when I walk around town, even if I'm with someone. I stroll past McDonalds & Burger King, and see all these people contributing to this inhumane industry without a care in the world.

My family often perceive my diet as unnatural, with my father coming out with comments such as 'Isn't it time you went back to meat?', and today when I rejected a glass of milk informing my mother I wanted to reduce my dairy intake, she remarked how crazy I am. Then I either shrug it off or resort to justifying my stance.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I missed this one before. I think I've seen topics like this in "Relationships and Family", though.

From my perspective, as long as someone is supportive of me not eating meat, I can put up with whatever they choose to eat. I might not like the smell, or might not prefer to see them eat it. But if it's not in my house, I really don't have a say about it. I've been lucky that my friends and family will make vegetarian things for me when I visit, and will eat vegetarian when they visit me.

I'd probably just say to your very good friend that the comments offend you. If he continues, you'll know what sort of a friend he is. If he stops, that says a lot too.

I do not attend large campus-wide meal events on my campus. Finding food I will eat has become too much of a chore. Then there was the event where they were carving from a whole roasted pig. Yuck. I just don't go.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I'm new here & part of the reason I went looking for a veggie forum is that I also find myself increasingly annoyed/disgusted by my omni friends. Not all of them, but the ones who continually make tofu jokes, refuse to even try anything that doesn't contain meat, and just blindly ignore the facts behind the meat industry so they can continue gorging on hotdogs & pork chops. I guess it upsets me that they don't care & I just don't understand how that's possible.

I'm trying to be non-judgemental, but I'm obviously failing at it! Lately I don't even want to be around these people or talk to them. I realize that's elitist of me but it's how I feel & this is something I'm struggling with right now too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts