VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
cienarose returns
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The community I live in has recently experienced several disasters; Some very large wildfires and a devastating mudslide. Entire cities and neighborhoods had to evacuate, many lost their homes and a few lost their lives. Fortunately, even though we had to evacuate for a few days, our home was spared and we are safe. I had some time to get ready and I made sure that I brought some vegetarian food choices with me to the house of a friend who kindly offered me a place to stay. But I was wondering what other vegetarians do to prepare for emergencies where they may be forced to suddenly leave their homes. Or, what their contingency plans may be for getting vegetarian meals during emergencies when finding something decent to eat may be an issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Firstly, I am very sorry to hear what happened to your town. That would never be easy.

It sounds like your a very forward thinking vegetarian if even a natural disaster is not throwing you off track, so good for you :)

I can't speak of times of emergency, but when I travel to 3rd world countries sometimes it is near impossible to stay vegan. I tend to carry things like peanut butter and rice cakes, oh and lots of nuts.

I hope you can get everything back on solid ground soon.

·
cienarose returns
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Sorry I took so long I don't come here often.

Our local agencies and Caltrans have started to rebuild many of the damaged areas. The Thomas fire and the mudslide had a big impact on the local economy, since, unfortunately it is mostly based on tourism these days. But it has brought us locals closer together in many ways. Mostly though helping each other to get through it and to clean-up the debris as well as through shared losses and experiences.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I live in hurricane and tornado country and have similar concerns. After having to bug out more than once, I now keep a box of canned and packaged food in the pantry. There are dehydrated meals suitable for vegetarians and vegans, but they're expensive and not always easy to find. I haven't found anything better that's within my ability and budget. I wish there were more vegheads sharing their ideas and experiences.

·
Ponyo
26 Posts
I understand you, I know the Tornado Alley and Tornadoes are very dangerous for the people.

·
cienarose returns
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I live in hurricane and tornado country and have similar concerns. After having to bug out more than once, I now keep a box of canned and packaged food in the pantry. There are dehydrated meals suitable for vegetarians and vegans, but they're expensive and not always easy to find. I haven't found anything better that's within my ability and budget. I wish there were more vegheads sharing their ideas and experiences.
A box of canned foods ready to go; That is a good idea. I already have many of my irreplaceable items such as important papers, photos and jewelry packed to go at all times. We live in a high brush fire risk area and have one or more fires near by every year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts