VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are starting to get mice in our basement, and since I keep my parrot down there, they aren't really wanted around since they are getting into my bird's food. My parents bought this mouse trap that electrifies the animal as it goes inside it. I know that this is way more humane than those horrible sticky glue traps that my parents used to use because it gives a swift, hopefully less painful death. However, I am still bothered by it. We were tryingit out just yesterday, and it already killed one mouse T_T. I even had a dream last night, where I saw a mouse getting electrified over and over again, and it wouldn't die as it jerked around. It was horrid, but 'just a dream', right? I know that we need to get rid of the mice somehow, but I hate the thought of killing them.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Have your parents considered humane traps? We've never had to use them so I don't know if they're really effective though.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrpelle View Post

you keep your parrot in the basement?
I was wondering about that too. What type of parrot is it? What type of food are you feeding?

We keep our parrots' food in airtight containers.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I was just going to suggest better containers, but Aimra beat me to it. We keep our parrot food in a very large tin (it was a holiday present with an obscene amount of disgusting popcorn inside) and our treats in rubbermaid containers. We keep our chicken food in the garage, and that's in a thick plastic storage tote with a snap-on lid. I know someone who keeps her chicken food in an upright garbage can with a snap-on lid.

Is your basement well-heated? Does your bird get socialization down there? Parrots need to be part of a flock, so they should be in a room where there's a lot of traffic.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I've been wondering what the most humane way of killing wild mice is and if the traditional snap traps are humane. The electric trap sounds like it might be the most humane way to kill them considering the alternatives.

Gassing seems best for killing them for feeders, don't see a practical way to set a gas trap. I saw a live cam. of someone using an electric trap to kill rats. While I question using this for entertainment value, it seems as humane as it gets to kill pest rats.

Usually I recomend live trapping, however not everyone near wilderness where the mice can be released so releasing them will only result in them going into someone else's home. So definatly not a solution for city people.

Live trapping is complicated around here, I need to drive out of town to release them and the last time I live trapped it was the middle of the night and the mosue escaped from my tank by morning. This has happened to me three times now.

If you are deeply bothered by killing pest mice and don't live out in the country, then you may try extra efforts to live trap and drive them out of town like I have done.

I think if you lived in the city, you'd have to maintain a tank and then you happened to go into the country, you'd bring along the tank of wild mice to be released.

I have responded to people feeding mice to large predatory fish on another MB. I recomended that pre killed mice be used as I see no reason to give a predatory fish a live mouse other then the thrill factor.

One poster mentioned that a garage used to house large predatory fish is infested with mice. SO they are setting what I assume are snap traps and feeding the resulting mice to the fish.

My recomendation for live trapping would be moot since I dislike feeding live mice to other animals.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a quaker parrot.

The bird food that I am feeding my parrot it Kaytee Forti Diet. Now I feel sort of stupid for keeping it in a Ziploc bag. I had no clue we had mice, until they got in the food. Anyways, my parrot does get plenty of socialization, so don't worry, and the basement is well heated
. I usually bring him upstairs, so it's all good. He's down there because when used to live upstairs, I was worried that he wasn't getting enough sleep due to 'too much traffic'.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousemo View Post

I have a quaker parrot.

The bird food that I am feeding my parrot it Kaytee Forti Diet. Now I feel sort of stupid for keeping it in a Ziploc bag. I had no clue we had mice, until they got in the food. Anyways, my parrot does get plenty of socialization, so don't worry, and the basement is well heated
. I usually bring him upstairs, so it's all good. He's down there because when used to live upstairs, I was worried that he wasn't getting enough sleep due to 'too much traffic'.
I love quakers! I see now about the basement. My grandmother kept her cocketiel in the living room, which was great, except that she would sit in there and watch TV late into the night. Poor thing! My Amazon's in the computer room, and we try to be quiet, but if we have him covered and we start talking, he'll pull a little corner of the cover down and stare at us. It's really cute, and reminds us that someone needs his sleep.

We don't have mice (in the house. We do have them in the garage getting into the chicken stuff), but we have a horrible pantry moth problem, so everything is in an airtight container. I'm not sure what advice to give you on the mouse problem. My family always poisoned them (
), but now that we have chickens we're just locking up the food and hoping they'll go away. I'd go with live traps, if that's possible.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post

I remember going to feed the chcikens and feeding a scared mouse in their bin.
This a tangent, but my dad once lifted the lid to a garbage can only to have a terrified cat jump in his face. He had accidently shut a stray cat in there the night before. Poor kitty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts