VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday on radio braoadcast (not the news!): Dalai Lama uses a pumpgun to shoot at hawks to chase them away. Has anyone information how trustworthy this news is? Or if it´s true at all?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it hasn´t been a joke, that´s for sure. The channel won´t tell you anything, it SWR3, which is a German one with about 3.3 mill. listeners per day. They are reliable. But I´d like to know amore bout the original input into the system via upi/reuters/... or whatever.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I've tried to find more info about this but I couldn't come up with anything. Honestly though, I really can't image that the Dalai Lama would use a pumpgun... he's a Buddhist.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I´ve seen guns for kids being sold in the compound of a Buddhist temple! But I sure have the same problem as you, I can´t imagine the Dalai Lama with a pumpgun. It´s just that I wouldn´t rule it out.

·
Banned
261 Posts
Well. There was recently a story in US news that a man opened a thing in Las Vegas, Nevada were guys could pay 10, 000 dollars to shoot naked woman with a paint ball gun in the desert. This was big news, it made it onto several reliable news channels and magazines, and then it was found out it was all a hoax. A very elaborate and convincing one. That had millions fooled. Who knows, this could be the same deal.

Cassie

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by skarrlett

I've tried to find more info about this but I couldn't come up with anything. Honestly though, I really can't image that the Dalai Lama would use a pumpgun... he's a Buddhist.
Really, he could afford a quality over and under like my brother's old college roomate the Buddhist doctor . . .

·
Registered
0 Posts
this was the same dalai lama that said, "i am the dalai lama, not a vegetarian". so it seems like he is not so fond of animals.

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vgun2k

this was the same dalai lama that said, "i am the dalai lama, not a vegetarian". so it seems like he is not so fond of animals.
A) Did HE really say that?

B) Context, please?

I.e. "I'm Max Power, not a student." This sentence has meaning, even though sans context, it is a contradiction. I AM a student, but I refuse to be defined by that characteristic.

What's the big deal with shooting a pump gun at hawks, even for the Lhamanator? It's really hard to accidentally hit a hawk if you are trying only to scare them away, right?

And just because it seems fitting, here's THE quote:

"So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know? A caddy... a looper... a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one---big hitter, the Lama. Long. Into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? 'Gunga galunga... gunga... gunga-galunga.' So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, 'Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know.' And he says, 'Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consiousness.' So I got that goin' for me, which is nice."

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE]"i am the dalai lama, not a vegetarian". so it seems like he is not so fond of animals.[

Mahayana Buddhism takes vegetarianism more seriously than lamaism or hinayana Buddhism. Tibetans eat meat, it´s even sold next to the Jokhang. But I also like to question the quotation.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Heureka!

It´s an interview in the Reader´s Digest:

RD Face to Face with The Dalai Lama

Love, Laughter & Good Karma

This is the link for the whole article:

http://www.rd-india.com/dalai.htm

Here is a part of the interview:

RD: Your assistant says you are half-vegetarian. How can one be half-vegetarian?

Dalai Lama: [laughs] In the early 1960s I became a vegetarian, and for almost two years I remained a strict vegetarian. But then I developed hepatitis, and my body turned yellowmy eyes, my nails all turned yellow. I became, really, truly living Buddhabut from sickness, not spirituality!

So I returned to my previous diet, then for a while it would be vegetarian one day, non-vegetarian the next.

Since last year my main kitchen is totally vegetarian. But that doesnt mean I am complete vegetarian, for when I visit different places and the hotel puts meat on the table, then I take. So, occasionally I take non-vegetarian but otherwise vegetarian food that seems to help reduce the size of my stomach.

[]

RD: Do you have a favourite animal?

Dalai Lama: Birds maybe. I feed birds, peaceful birds. Im a non-violent person, but if a hawk comes when Im feeding birds, I lose my temper and get my air rifle.

RD: You have an air rifle?

Dalai Lama: Yes, although I shoot only to scare the hawks.

[]

Sorry, I made it look even worse than it is, because I didn´t know the difference between pump gun and air rifle or air gun.

But still, I think half-vegetarian and shooting with an airgun is bad enough.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
He isn't the brightest man in the world, as I've discovered from reading more of his own writings. This interview only proves it. He developed hepatitis on a vegetarian diet!? WTF?

I'm not saying he has no merits in other areas, but I think we're all best served to remember that none of us is perfect, including the shama-Lama-ding-dong.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Well speaking from a Buddhists point of view....Epski....not everyone in every religion follows its' doctrine to the tee. First off buddhism teaches compassion and does not promote per say a vegetarian diet. I am not agreeing with what the Dalai Lama may have done, but yes he is the leader of the religion and therefore sets an example, but it's best said "Do what I say not what I do." And Epski would you be so quick to judge Christ?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I'm not sure you're really responding to my post. I never said that buddhism says it does promote a vegetarian diet (say = se, BTW).

And I think he's less a leader of the religion than he is of his people, but that's my take. And I think justifying his behavior by saying "do as I say, not what I do" is exactly what is wrong with our entire planet.

Jesus practiced what he preached, if the Bible is to believed. Between that, and the fact that I can't personally read his own writings and hear his teachings, I have no place judging him. Also, I did not "judge" the Dalai Lama, nor was I quick in coming to my opinion of his words and actions. The only thing I may be guilty of is disrespect, in giving him that nickname. It was funny when I first came up with it, but now it seems sophomoric. I'm leaving it up anyway, because some people here may enjoy that kind of humor.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Well maybe I misinterperted(?) your message. Sorry I get flustered about religion. The Dalami Lama was "chosen" he did not choose his position. But I am not here to debate it any further. And you're right we can't lead a nation be the motto "do as I say not as I do"...look at Clinton. But that's another discussion all toghether.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Well...I guess that I am "sophomoric" because I laughed at the nickname. I personally think it is okay to be sophomoric once in awhile. I do admire the wisdom of the Dalai Lama on many subjects and have read some of his books, but I think he needs help with nutrition. I honestly can't for the life of me see how he could become sick on a healthy vegetarian diet. I guess like Epski so eloquently said...ain't nobody perfect, not even...

·
Banned
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Lothar M Kirsch

Heureka!

It´s an interview in the Reader´s Digest:

RD Face to Face with The Dalai Lama

Love, Laughter & Good Karma

This is the link for the whole article:

http://www.rd-india.com/dalai.htm

Here is a part of the interview:

RD: Your assistant says you are half-vegetarian. How can one be half-vegetarian?

Dalai Lama: [laughs] In the early 1960s I became a vegetarian, and for almost two years I remained a strict vegetarian. But then I developed hepatitis, and my body turned yellowmy eyes, my nails all turned yellow. I became, really, truly living Buddhabut from sickness, not spirituality!

So I returned to my previous diet, then for a while it would be vegetarian one day, non-vegetarian the next.

Since last year my main kitchen is totally vegetarian. But that doesnt mean I am complete vegetarian, for when I visit different places and the hotel puts meat on the table, then I take. So, occasionally I take non-vegetarian but otherwise vegetarian food that seems to help reduce the size of my stomach.

[]

RD: Do you have a favourite animal?

Dalai Lama: Birds maybe. I feed birds, peaceful birds. Im a non-violent person, but if a hawk comes when Im feeding birds, I lose my temper and get my air rifle.

RD: You have an air rifle?

Dalai Lama: Yes, although I shoot only to scare the hawks.

[]

Sorry, I made it look even worse than it is, because I didn´t know the difference between pump gun and air rifle or air gun.

But still, I think half-vegetarian and shooting with an airgun is bad enough.
That sounds like BS to me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.