VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel horrible. I don't like the cheddar daiya cheese I got yesterday. I was so excited to try it because of the rave reviews. It's just too greasy and soft, I think. It even makes my stomach upset. I've tried it cold, on my burritos, and I gave it one last shot with a grilled cheese sandwich. That wasn't too bad, but only because the bread blocked some of the flavor. It was $5.69 too! I guess I just need to force myself through the bag. I would hate to waste it, or the money. Is the mozzarella flavor any better?
BTW I love all the other vegan stuff I've tried which includes tofutti ice cream and sour cream, and the cream cheese is good too. I also switched to soy yogurt. I found it at my walmart, how cool is that? and my goal is to try vegan mayo next week. Is Nanonaise(sp??) good? I can get that one at my local store without travelling to whole foods.

·
Registered
236 Posts
i don't like daiya either :/. no the mozzarella isn't any better
. i just go without, you won't even miss cheese after a while. whenever i have a cheese craving i just make some of this deliciousness http://www.theppk.com/2011/02/mac-shews/ and it seems to squash it. as for vegan mayo. i love veganaise but have not tried any other brands.

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
The first and only kind I tried was the mozzarella and I did not like it. I didn't even finish the bag, it ended up getting tossed.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Don't feel bad for not being in love with the stuff. As you can see there's quite a few people that aren't fans. The stuff can be super overwhelming. The first time I tried it I found it disgusting. The texture was a huge turn off for me. It's really something that needs to be used very sparingly but even then it can be gross. Stomach issues seem to be really common with Daiya also. It sucks spending money on something and then being disappointed but if it's giving you stomach problems I don't think you should even attempt to try it again. Is there anyone you know that does like it and would want it?

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I was disappointed when I first tried it, but then I got accustomed to it. My daughter keeps telling me I like all of the 'substitutes' because my tastes have changed over the last six years and the stuff I like really isn't all that tasty, lol.
I don't really see much of a flavor difference between the mozzerella and cheddar varieties. My supermarket just started carrying Daiya and they have the pepperjack. I never liked real pepperjack cheese but I think I might give this a try anyway.
I think I was so desperate for a cheese substitute and Daiya ended up being my favorite over all of the other 'cheeses'.
I never tried Nayonaise...Vegenaise was the first one I tried and I loved it, so I never bothered to try anything else.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
I can't get any vegan cheeses at the few stores my family goes to, and since there's no whole foods for miles I definitely can't get daiya.
I'd love to try it, but now this scares me that people don't like it. I used to be a huge cheese addict, I really want to find a good substitute eventually.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

I can't get any vegan cheeses at the few stores my family goes to, and since there's no whole foods for miles I definitely can't get daiya.
I'd love to try it, but now this scares me that people don't like it. I used to be a huge cheese addict, I really want to find a good substitute eventually.
If you ever get a chance to try it at a restaurant or sample it somewhere then do that first before buying it.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelii36 View Post

I feel horrible. I don't like the cheddar daiya cheese I got yesterday. I was so excited to try it because of the rave reviews. It's just too greasy and soft, I think. It even makes my stomach upset. I've tried it cold, on my burritos, and I gave it one last shot with a grilled cheese sandwich. That wasn't too bad, but only because the bread blocked some of the flavor. It was $5.69 too! I guess I just need to force myself through the bag. I would hate to waste it, or the money. Is the mozzarella flavor any better?
BTW I love all the other vegan stuff I've tried which includes tofutti ice cream and sour cream, and the cream cheese is good too. I also switched to soy yogurt. I found it at my walmart, how cool is that? and my goal is to try vegan mayo next week. Is Nanonaise(sp??) good? I can get that one at my local store without travelling to whole foods.
If you like toffutti products, you should try tofutti cheese over daiya. I had some today and I love it.
I was a cheese addict when I ate dairy, but the tofutti slices are great, they're very cheesy and great with veganase in a sandwich.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

If you like toffutti products, you should try tofutti cheese over daiya. I had some today and I love it.
I was a cheese addict when I ate dairy, but the tofutti slices are great, they're very cheesy and great with veganase in a sandwich.
What flavors do they make? Is there one that's better than the others?

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelii36 View Post

What flavors do they make? Is there one that's better than the others?
I've only seen the American slices, I love those. Their website says they also have mozzarella. I haven't tried them in grilled cheese yet but I've heard they do melt well for them

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update: I've discovered that if I hide the daiya inside the burrito, hidden amongst the beans, I can actually eat it, and it tastes OK. Just OK. At least I don't have to waste the bag

·
Registered
75 Posts
I didn't care for it much at first but now I actually quite like it. I like to melt it over tortilla chips the best to make nachos! I usually add some green onions, salsa, etc. as well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've only had it in prepared food from vegan restaurants and its always been good in there. As a flavor enhancer though, never by itself.

Try Follow Your Heart Vegan Mozzarella. It's the best vegan cheese ever IMO

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
I tried to like it too. I had big dreams of having pizza with "cheese" again. Oh well. I do hate trying things that expensive though and not liking them at all. It was too salty to push off on my dogs.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Property Is Robbery View Post

I've only had it in prepared food from vegan restaurants and its always been good in there. As a flavor enhancer though, never by itself.

Try Follow Your Heart Vegan Mozzarella. It's the best vegan cheese ever IMO
One of the stores here finally, after decades, has Follow Your Heart. I passed it up because I've tried so many failures, but maybe I will give it a try now.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
I have had the Mozzarella a few times in Calzone (homemade) and it wasn't bad. I'm not a vegan, real cheese is my downfalls, and I could see myself using this in the right recipes. I couldn't eat a ton of it, I used it sparingly and it really gave a subtle cheese taste.

(Right before adding the Daiya)

If I was fully committed to veganism, I would use this product occasionally. It's easier to go cheese free, honestly. Real cheese... so hard to duplicate.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts