VeggieBoards banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Fabulous
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
So I was just wondering about daily protein like how much would I need a day? And do I need protein at every meal including breakfast? If so how do I get it for every meal. And also I read that having too much tofu is bad for you and I have tofu atlest 2-3 times a week is that okay? I spread it out so like example Monday: tofu scramble, wednesday tofu stir fry and then like friday I'd do something with it to finish off the packet.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
One packet of tofu a week doesn't sound like a lot at all.

As for protein, around 60 grams per day is quite decent but also depends on your weight, height, and how active you are. Not necessary to spread out the protein through every meal -- it's OK to just have 10 grams of protein in one meal, and have 30 in another one.

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
Unless you have reasons to avoid soy, minimally processed soy is very healthy to have 3-5 serving of daily. A serving would be 1/2 cup tofu or tempeh, 8 oz soy milk
Todays research is showing soy foods to even more important in preventing cancer and heart health

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-much-soy-is-too-much/

I find it's normal for me to get between 50 and 65 grams of protein a day

·
person
679 Posts
We have soy in some form every day.

·
Bandit
544 Posts
Soy isn't bad for your health unless you eat obscene amounts of tofu every day, you have to pretty much eat more than would be desirable in order to get too much. Three times a week is very conservative and you could eat it it more often. However, I always recommend non-gmo soy. Fortunately many American companies at least offer non-gmo soy.

Protein depends on the individual. Some people wildly exaggerate the amount you need each day, because the SAD contains around 90 grams per day...however this is totally unnecessary for most people who aren't body builders or professional athletes, and high protein low carb diets turn out to be unhealthy or deadly more often than not these days.

On the other hand, not eating enough protein may leave you feeling hungry all of the time or simply feeling vaguely unsatisfied no matter how much you eat. Common sources suggest that sedentary women need about 46 g per day, so if you are moderately active (walking, yoga, elliptical, hiking, swimming or easy jogging) I would say 55-60 g would be enough. If you run marathons or play competitive sports, perhaps you need more and should consult a vegan fitness expert.

It's easy to get a little protein from things like sautéed spinach and hummus on whole grain toast (I like mine with salt, and both black and crushed red peppers) or a boxed granola cereal (such as Kashi). Semolina and whole grain pastas can provide you with some protein, especially if you make a creamy vegan sauce with plant-based milk, nutritional yeast and other ingredients. In fact sticking mostly to whole grains will up your protein without even trying.

If you don't like to eat a lot of soy, you can always eat beans, lentils, nuts, seeds, nut butters and spirulina. Avacado contains a surprising amount of protein (4 g for a decent sized one) and I sometimes eat avacado and tomato sandwiches. Sometimes on sourdough toast with a little Earth Balance on the toast, and other times as a legit sandwich with vegan mayo and spinach leaves.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts