VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For you people here who don't eat sugar, doe that mean you don't have any soymilk, cereals, fruit, or granola bars?! I know I need to cut back on my sugar intake (its all from soymilk, cereal, and fruits), but should I just stop artifical sugars (corn syrup) or should I try to limit all sugars (fruit ones, too)?

lovenlight,

linz

·
Registered
0 Posts
I try not to eat sugar, and I drink unsweetened soymilk Westsoy and Silk and I try to get unsweetened cereals, but they are sweetened with fruit juices. I also make soymilk on the stove sweetened with Splenda Maple Syrup. Um, I usually make my cookies and cakes with half Splenda and half Fructose (Fructose is still sugar but lower Glycemic Level, Splenda is made from sugarl). I buy fruit juice sweetened dried fruits for my cereals. I still have sugar in the breads I buy and some of the prepared foods I buy. It is hard to avoid it all. You can get unsweetened soy milk powder (Better than Milk Original) to make groovy soy shakes. Shannon

·
Registered
0 Posts
try Stevia for sweetener... it's an herb, helps your body instead of hindering it. I have been using SteviaPlus http://www.healthyshopping.com/sweetleaf/

if the sugars are in fresh foods, I think it is better than other sources. you may need a glycemic index similar to the one they provide via Atkins or other sources. I had one that came with my K-tec Champ hp3 blender - the manual & cookbook that came with that thing rocks in terms of getting the kind of nutrition you are concerned about, so much good information and ideas.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have been asking your question a lot of times, and always thought I should cut out ALL sugars. But then I realized that's not a good thing, sugar is in so many things that are good for you. It's not the sugar itself you need to cut out, it's the refined sugar. I don't really eat cereal anymore, so I don't have a problem with that, but if you buy it, look at the ingredients and avoid any kind of sweetener. Of course, there's better sweeteners and worse. The white granulated kind is worst usually (not all I suppose, but as far as I know... ). You can start out by not cutting out all added sugar, but rather switching to more natural alternatives like pure maple syrup, fruit syrups, brown rice syrup, molasses, etc. If I need something sweet I have some fruit. The sugar in fruit is not bad for you and that's because it's in a good "package" meaning lots of fiber (soluble and insoluble), vitamins, minerals, water, yougetthepoint. I wouldn't try to quit added/refined sugars cold turkey. I'd take little steps and first cut down (not out), then substitute, then cut down on the substitutes, and one day you won't even really want the added sugar anymore, you'll be just as happy with a fresh juicy apple. And I wouldn't recommend artificial sweeteners (no-caloric or low-caloric) either, because they're just not your best choice. For me, they just keep the sweet-cravings alive and I end up overindulging on real sugar because of it. But that might just be me, there's lots of people out there that can deal with it.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I'm practically refined sugar-free. I eat things sweetened with fruit juice, and very occasionally will eat something with molasses or brown rice syrup in it, just because it's pretty hard to find any prepared food that doesn't have some kind of sugar in it. I make muffins and oatmeal with fruit juice, eat all-fruit jam on my pancakes, use jam to sweeten my stirfry, etc. Sometimes if I eat at a restaurant I know there's sugar in the sauce or something, and I don't freak out about it, but it's not so hard to be refined sugar-free at home once you come up with a few good ideas. (Making my oatmeal with half juice/half water is the idea I'm proudest of, although I'm sure someone came up with it first.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts