VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this topic is in the wrong place, please let me know...

I live in NYC, and there are not enough trees here to begin with, but people in Queens are always chopping down trees for stupid reasons. The apartment building next to us has owners who are obsessed with cutting down these 'city trees' (fast growing trees with pointy leaves) because they are destroying their beat-up, bent, rusty old fence.

I grew up in Michigan with a father who wanted to cut down the tree in the backyard bacause it was 'messy'. (I argued and argued till he changed his mind) Now, I live next to people who want to save their rotton old fence, and last week they cut down 3 very tall trees. (one of which was at least a foot in diameter) The summer is coming on, and those trees help keep the sun off the buildings, and help create breezes, and are generally nice to have out one's window.

I live in the lot that's not his property, so we still have our bunch of excellent trees out in back of us, but I feel sorry for everyone in his building who have to deal with the sun this summer. (he probably lives on the other side of the building, and doesn't care). We had the worst thing happen to us about 5 years ago when the people who own the empty lot in back of us paid some guy to chop down ALL the trees. I came home one day and there was nothing left. Fortunately, those things grow back really quick, so within 2 years, they were pretty tall again.

It pisses me off to no end when people think that trees are things to take away like a pesky mosquito or the garbage. I can understand trimming branches away from electrical wires, or trimming very tall trees just for safety sake (ice storms and all) but a stupid, rusty, broken fence?!

Ugh.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
we have laws here that protect alot of the trees. if you are caught cutting them down you get a big fine. the only tree that is not protected is the pine tree, but if it is a certain height it is also protected.

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
I had a neighbor ask me to cut down a 60+ year old pecan tree (it's older that our houses) because it dropped leaves in his yard!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts