VeggieBoards banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cuticles are a mess...peeling and generally being painful and annoying. Are there any good home remedies? Something I can soak my hands in or whatnot?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I'm not an expert but here is what I do know:<br><br><br><br>
Water is the enemy of cuticles - so keep your hands out of water (use gloves to wash dishes, clean, etc. etc.) If you can keep your hands dry and keep detergents off them - that's most of the battle. If you HAVE to get your hands wet (outside the shower) first put moisturizer or vaseline on them first (this makes a protective barrier).<br><br><br><br>
By saying the cutiles are a mess - I assume you mean they are red, ragged, split - maybe bleeding? (if they are just overgrown - all you need to do is soak 'em in olive oil and push them back)<br><br><br><br>
For red/ragged/split cuticles you need to give them a chance to heal. Keep them out of water. Everyday (or 2 to 3 times a day) moisturize them. At first with something heavy like cocoa butter or a cuticle balm...burts bees makes one. Then once they are beginning to heal do it every day with a cuticle oil (or any oil for that matter - grapeseed oil is my favorite).<br><br><br><br>
Also - don't pick at them. Especially don't pull at raggedcuticles - if you must then get cuticle scissors or razors and trim them (but most nail techs discourage this).<br><br><br><br>
Hope this helps<br><br><br><br>
>>> while I'm thinking about nails I want to share something I learned that I found to be really cool. When I work in the garden I get dirt under my fingernails that's hard to get out. Someone told me to get a bar of soap - and run my fingernails over it (like I was scratching it). Then you can work in the garden all you want - and the dirt can't get under the nails (and the soap is easy to wash off). It works.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks dvmarie. ^_^<br><br><br><br>
Yep, they're ragged, split, bleeding, etc, and of course I make it worse by picking at them. I had some Burt's Bees cuticle balm, but it ran out, and I don't want to replace it because of the beeswax.<br><br><br><br>
I have some delicious Origins body cream that is very moisturizing, so I'll try using that. Do you think an olive oil soak might still be helpful?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Yes definately. I soak my cuticles in warm Grapeseed oil twice a week - and brush it on my cuticles at least once a day. Canola oil, olive oil, peanut oil - it's all good.<br><br><br><br>
p.s - I didn't say this in the last post, but if you are just hanging around the house - lather on moisturizer or oil - and put on rubber or cotton gloves on your hands for a few hours (you can even use socks - but then you really can't do much at all with your hands if you use those! *s*)

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I'll get some cotton gloves and put something on before sleeping.<br><br><br><br>
Thanks for the tips!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts