VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my neighbor cut down her 150 year old Chestnut tree because she doesn't like the chestnuts on her lawn.

Can you BELIEVE that !! Because she didn't like the chestnuts on her lawn! Ugh! She cut down a beautiful , totally healthy , huge tree that is a piece of our heritage because it's bounty "annoyed" her. My mother went into complain to our small town's office today and we are going to see if we can get a bylaw made.. One of the town chair persons said that that was his old house back in the day and he used to have a treehouse in it and everything.. he wanted to cry. Poor guy. We are just furious here and we heard that she is pushing to get the second one cut down aswell! What do you guys think.. do you think something like that should be allowed or not?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think it is horrible. But......it is her property and she was the one who had to clean up after it. Sucks, I know, but as a property owner she does have rights.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
I think it's terrible, too. And doesn't she know that we need trees, especially mature trees, to reduce greenhouse gases and global warming?

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I'm on the fence about this. While no one should just cut down trees, she does have a reason; it's probably a pain in the butt to clean it up, and potentially dangerous, too.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
In my area you need a permit for any tree over a certain height. There are certain types of trees of trees they need permits no matter what height they are. Age is also a factor. It's not enough to say "her property she can do what she wants" because life just flat out doesn't work like that. What people do on their properties does effect others. Otherwise I could build a 20 storey observation tower in my back yard and sod the privacy of the neighbours.

I can't see why falling chestnuts would be dangerous. Some older trees when they are dying do pose a danger but falling chestnuts?

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
For how expensive chestnuts are, what an awesome gift to have them fall from your yard each year for free.

I'm sure someone would have "cleaned" her precious yard for free if they got to keep them.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In my opinion cleaning up chestnuts is a small price for having that fabulous gift of a tree growing in her yard and trees are a gift. How ungrateful of her to cop it down. I think she should have to have a permit.. now she wants to cut down the other one .. there is less CO2 being filtered and the stump is rather repulsive to tell the truth.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Oh, wow! Do you know by chance if it was an American Chestnut tree? If so, those are incredibly rare. They used to be THE most common tree in the eastern U.S., but almost all of them were wiped out by a fungus from Asia in early part of the 1900's. Scientists are trying to breed new strains that are resistant to the fungus.

It's always kind of sad when a huge old tree gets cut down, but if it was an American chestnut, then it was a tragedy. Sorry to hear about that.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

I can't see why falling chestnuts would be dangerous. Some older trees when they are dying do pose a danger but falling chestnuts?
I was remembering autumn, and walking on sidewalks with chestnuts everywhere. If you didn't pay attention, you could step on one and trip, right next to where the cars are zipping by.

Now they may all be falling on her lawn, so the only danger is stepping on one, and at worst twisting an ankle. It's not a huge danger, I know.

·
Registered
592 Posts
The thing is, if it's a 150-year-old tree, she knew damn well what she was in for when she bought the property. It's not like it sprouted up overnight and started pelting her with chestnuts. I think what she did was appalling, and Jazzy, I think you should really push the matter so that she doesn't do it again. (It helps that you have a treehugger on the town committee
)

Btw, there is legal precedent for this sort of thing. I remember in Atlanta, a tree was saved from the wrecking ball because it was over 100 years old. I think you'll have a good case. Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts