VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love curry in all forms. I was wondering if I could make a curry using seaweed (sea vegetables) from an Asian market. Would that work? Has anyone tried something like this, or am I a rebel?
I hope I can pull this off.

·
Registered
130 Posts
worst case scenario you eat a bad meal (or waste a bit of food) so it's not like you have much to lose.

Maybe treat it like spinach and adapt a a palak chole or palak aloo recipe? That said, I'm not sure what fresh seaweed tastes like, so this might be a terrible idea!

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
I don't think I've had fresh seaweed so this is difficult to answer. I am guessing they have a lot of natural salt, so you would need to balance that out. If I was going to try this I would definitely use tamarind, tomatoes and mango powder in the masala.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
curry is literally just blended spices. there isn't one particular kind of curry, it just means blended spices. so pretty much anything that uses a blend of spices is technically a curry. so if you wanted to use seaweed go for it, just use spice blend that compliments the strong flavors of seaweed.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I've tried making it, and although it CAN clash if you overdo the seaweed, it is very hard to ruin curry in my opinion
That said, I've had good luck with red curry and seaweed. It just seems to balance out better than the others.

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. Something I wouldn't have come up with. Probably work better with Thai or Vietnamese curries, adding a touch of flavor reminiscent of shrimp paste or fish sauce.

But I have limited experience with actually USING sea vegetables, so it's just speculation on my part. Let us know how anything you try turns out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Seaweed curry... doesn't really sound too appealing to me. Might smell like fish curry maybe..and I used to enjoy them so you might like it. You might be the first person to have invented the seaweed curry. Well done! Let us know how it turns out!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts