• I eat honey but limit it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I won't eat honey

• I won't eat honey because of the bees

• I will eat processed sugar with no reservations

• I try to avoid processed sugar (implies bone carcoal filtration)

• I won't eat processed sugar (implies bone carcoal filtration)

• I am fastidious about trace animal products used

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a Vegan newbie, I am still sorting out my feelings about sugar and honey. I try to use organicly processed cane juice. I know that many sugars are filtered through bone charcoal, and that does affect my thoughts, although I suspect that those products are used because they are a cheap by-product of the slaughter industry, and would probably be replaced with something else if it wasn't so cheap.

I also haven't begun to process my thoughts about honey and the bees. I give my child egg whites that I get from a woman who rasies her egg hens (has 'em named and everything and sometimes have to collect the eggs from under the brush), and I really don't have a problem feeding those to her, although I am eschewing them myself. In other words, I don't feel that stress is place on the hens, nor does it hurt them to gather and consume them in this manner. I can't seem to extrapolate my feelings about this to make up my own mind on the honeybees.

Regarding the issue of honeybees replacing native bees, we have the Aficanized bees here (San Antonio, TX), and we are worried about losing our nice honeybees to these imports.

Could I please get some VeggieBoard feedback on these two items? I would really rather have personal opinions than articles when it comes to these issues. Where do you stand on these and why?

Thanks,

EquiPro

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Equipro -

You wanted personal opinions - so this really is my personal opinion. I don't buy honey for use as a condiment (example: I won't buy a jar of honey). If honey happens to be in something I buy (some dry cereals for example - or in a loaf of bread), that wouldn't keep me from buying it. If HONEY is in the name (example: Honey Nut Cheerios - honey nut Loaf - etc.) - I won't buy it.....weird huh?

The reason for me is that I feel honey wasn't meant for us (same reason I don't drink milk). In my mind it's kind of like stealing a babies food ..... I can live with limiting the use of it as much as possible, and I do try to find alternate sources whenever practical. So that's me.

BTW: You live in San Antonio???? I'm moving there next June!!! Are you involved in the Vegetarian Group over there? (I saw the web site while doing research in the area).

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Yeah, that, and it's bee vomit. Good stuff for sure. No thanks. Never liked it even before becoming vegan, so I'm probably no help at all. Most people have no regard for insects, but I figure if something has the ability process information such that it can establish a flight pattern, it's probably sophisticated enough to feel pain, and there's plenty of that going around in honey production.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Honey doesn't bother me (neither does the bee vomit argument). Sugar doesn't bother me (in Australia it is not refined using bone char, so it is vegan). I could go into reasons for why honey doesn't bother me but this is not the debate board, so...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Shewolf - omg! LOL You're quoting me??

Don't you dare let my mother find out I said that. I may be an adult, but I'm still scared of her!

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I'm very anal about reading labels, I won't buy something if I don't know what all the ingredients are. . I don't eat honey, I do buy organic sugar.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
shewolf - I really posted this to GET reasons and peoples thoughts. I'm not going to debate you - I am just trying to get the various opinions so that I can form one of my own. Right now, I don't have an opinion about it. I don't have enough points of view, so, please......put your reasons down......

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I'm with dvmarie and epski. That's exactly me. I avoided it even before I thought about the bees. Yuck.

As far as sugar goes. It is sick to think about it going through animal bones. I must point out that much municipal water goes through animal bones as well. just fyi for those of you who avoid this sort of thing.

I think there are some environmental reasons to avoid cane sugar, but I have not been able to get clear info on this.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I'm vegan, I voted 'no reservations' for sugar. I think it's quite removed from animal suffering. Sugar factories have to use charcoal to get sugar white, and they use charcoal from varied sources, one of which happens to be animal bones. I think they are using it b/c it's cheap (slaughterhouses can do little else with the bones) and I don't think that animals are actually raised and killed to make charcoal. So sugar processors are using a byproduct of animal agriculture - they are not the direct reason for the suffering and killing.

Methinks if someone doesn't eat sugar b/c they use a byproduct of animal agri, they shouldn't eat organic produce either - organic farmers use a lot of animal manure, blood and bone as fertilizers.

I voted for 'Limit honey', b/c it's true that bees are killed, however I'm not convinced enough that bees are sentient beings and able to feel pain - and I'd like to keep my arguments logical and scientific if possible.

Many scientists have the opinion that it would make more sense to see the whole colony as an organism and not single bees - they are 100% clones of each other, so it's difficult to say they're individuals. They're more like cells in a body. But it's a borderline case (and bee agriculture sure affects local ecosystems), hence the vote for limiting it.

*However* I never really cared about this issue much (=I'm quite uninformed), because generally don't eat sugar or honey at all. I don't like sweets and there are more healthy ways to get your carbs.

So I'm interested to read more about this.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I eat sugar. Literally. Well, in the Uk, it's fined w/ limestone, so it's OK. But even though I'm not vegan, I do avoid honey, pretty much in the same way that dvmarie avoids it, becaus eI'm not too keen on the taste, or on eating bee puke.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
I voted for "eat honey with no reservations" for most of the reasons that Oatmeal gave. I don't eat it very often, because I've lost my sweet tooth in the course of my life and honey is way too sweet for me. The only exception to this rule is the flavoured honey sticks that I get at my farmer's market but they last me forever because I only have one when I'm "dying" for something sweet which is not very often at all.

Sugar I don't really eat at all but it's not because of the bone-char issue. It's because sugar is not good all around, so why go there? There are other things just as sweet, naturally and they don't cause cavities, either!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I see no reason to use any of them. I cook my own food and there are better choices so why should I use them? Refined sugar atstes terrible and is bad for ones health as well.

·
Registered
0 Posts
epski: "Yeah, that, and it's bee vomit. Good stuff for sure. No thanks. "

sure its be vomit but its pure sucrose/glucos/anyclos isnt it ? its just sugar. not like you can compare it to milk.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I will not eat honey but I do eat sugar on ocassion if it is in something I buy, and I use Splenda. I use vegan sugar to make baked goods I give to my friends. Mark eats honey.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I don't eat honey by itself, but if it's in a food product, I'll eat it. As far as sugar goes, I use turbinado sugar. When baking, I use brown sugar, from which I get from the HFS.

·
Registered
0 Posts
It's my understanding that brown sugar is basically white sugar with molasses added back in, so it's only vegan if the refining process was vegan.

I use turbinado at home. I don't use honey, and I don't purchase products that contain honey, if I realize that they do. However, if I purchase something and later realize that it contains honey, I will still use it. If I purchase nondairy chocolate or other sweets, I'm not all that concerned with thye question of whether the sugar used in the product is vegan.

What it basically comes down to is that I avoid honey and sugar that may be processed using charcoal from bones, but I am certainly not as careful as I am about dairy and eggs, for pretty much the reasons cited by Oatmeal.

·
Registered
159 Posts
See, my veganism is really tested sometimes. I do eat honey, but not excessively and it's not a regular part of my diet. I only eat it on occassion and because it helps me with blood sugar problems more than you could know. I've been to a lot of bee farms around my area because my friend's mom owns one as well as a class trip, and it really didn't bother me the way they were treated , and the whole puke thing doesn't bother me. As for sugar, I am trying to cut out processed sugar more and buy organic sugar when cooking myself. However, when I am buying juice or something, I'm not as careful. I think as I get older and start living on my own, I will become more strict about these two things...but right now, I have no money and sometimes have to deal with what is available to me.

·
Registered
0 Posts
i avoid and limit processed sugar, i don't buy the regular sugar from the grocery store (i use splenda anyway) and things like that, but i eat pez sometimes, and if sugar is an ingredient in something, i dont stress over weather its processed or not.

i dont eat honey, as a condiment or as an ingredient. but i dont have the same views on it as i do on dairy eggs and meat, meaning i wont freak out if i accidentally eat it, i belive that the dairy, egg and meat industry are detramental to the environment as well as being cruel.... i think honey is mean but i dont think it is "bad", so thats why i dont have a strong opinion of it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts