VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any recommendations for cups that I can use to bring soy milk or juice with me to work in my lunch box/mini-cooler? I've tried like 6 or 7 stores locally, including supermarkets, Target, Walmart, and even Bed, Bath, and Beyond. From what I can tell, my two choices are a giant $20 thermos that won't fit in my lunch box, or smaller, cheaper cups that are guaranteed to leak or your money back.

I speak from experience on that one - I've bought 3 types of smaller cups. Apparently, "straw hole" is industry slang for "liquid all over your lunch box", and "shaker" cups for mixing protein shakes are meant to shake the water all over your hands.

Anyone know where I can get cups in the 8-16 oz range that are actually airtight? I don't need a straw hole. I just want to be able to remove the lid and drink from it. Whatever happened to the lunch box sized thermos that used to be the standard when I was a kid?

--Fromper

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
What about kiddie ones? youll look really cool. i remember i had the acest one with beauty and the beast on then someone smashed it.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Real Tupperware will not leak (in my experience) and has a virtually liquid-tight seal. It is the only thing I will use for liquids that I carry with me (other than bottles with screw-top lids).

Look for Bell tumblers (usually marketed for children) or 16 oz tumblers and order seals separately for them. Or, another idea might be to check out some local 2nd hand stores, they've often got loads of Tupperware products in good condition.

·
Registered
0 Posts
[attachment=5150:sport bottle.jpg]

In Australia you can get aluminium sports bottles like the above in the places like Target & K-mart, so Im sure they'd have them in Florida somewhere. They start at about 8oz size and go up.

or you could try a camping store, they have all kinds of stuff like that.
LL

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, it really doesn't need to be insulated. My problem is that everything I see in stores is either way too big (sports bottles), or else not air tight. I found another one to try that's a little too big, but I think I can squeeze it in my lunch box (which is fairly big itself, which is what makes this so stupid). If this doesn't work, I'm almost desperate enough to go to Toys R Us and get kiddy cups with Disney characters on them. I'm sure they've got to have something there.

What's a nalgene?

--Fromper

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
As Cinnamon Toast said... Tupperwear... REAL Tupperwear brand, won't leak.

Also, my kids use THIS 'Thermos' brand container and have used it every school day this year with no leaks....

Less than 6 inches high, holds 10 ounces. Best lunch box item I've ever purchased!

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Special note: Nagalene bottles are made by a company which also produces devices for use in animal testing.

Thus, many animal-concerned folks decline to buy them.

·
Registered
393 Posts
hijack on Nalgene:

I was berated by folks at Rocky Mountain Animal Defense for having one (I now have a sticker over the logo). THey went through the whole speil aboput Lexan and the plastic also used in labs and that Lexan sells the pellets to a cage maker etc, etc.

So they recommend GSI. So I go look GSI up.

We have one, as my son wanted a RED bottle (nalgene's was pinkish).

It's made in China, of Lexan plastic. Oooookay. So taking the Lexan and shipping it from the US to China, and back makes it all better? IT'S THE SAME MATERIAL.

end hijack

1 - 13 of 13 Posts