VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are many of you here members of a CSA?
I have been interested for some time, We are now working with a tighter budget than every before however, and I am wondering if a CSA would really help us save money.

Also how do you menu plan when you aren't sure what you are going to get?

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
I don't menu plan anyway. When I shop at the store, I buy what is on sale, which tends to be seasonal etc. so it's really the same.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I did it last year. It was neat, but I don't know if it really ended up saving me any money; there were definitely some things I couldn't use all of or didn't want in the first place that ended up going to waste.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
In my CSA, there were usually more baby greens than almost anyone could eat but a strict salad loving raw foodist. I wanted more kale and less baby greens! I ended up using them in soups and the like, and green smoothies. I used everything, always, with a house hold of 3+ hungry guests.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm splitting a share with a couple of friends this year. A regular share through our CSA is $525 for 20 weeks which we're splitting 3 ways. I don't think it's going to save much money. I see it as an opportunity to get super fresh produce that is locally grown, and to try new things I wouldn't normally purchase. There is some risk involved. If it's a bad growing season, you get less food for your money.

If it's your first time trying it, can you split a share with someone? That way you get to see if it works for you without as much of an investment or risk.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I don't think it would save much, I too, look at it as more of just a way to get a variety of super fresh veggies on a weekly basis. I've wanted to do it for a while too but the $400 cost (up front) is a deterrant. Plus I worry that I would get things that I had no use for.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay thanks!
Ahisma, I USED to shop like that but had so much waste (or bought too much extra stuff) Now I follow a menu plan pretty often (which I personally LOVE to do) So I buy pretty much only whats on the menu.

I thought it would be a good opportunity to try new things, but perhaps I will just make an effort to try new things this summer. Plus we have a large farmers market and a place called youngstocks that is ridiculously cheap and generally offers quite a bit of local produce as the season allows.

Thanks for all the advice and helping me decide!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Yeah, it was an awesome way to get super-fresh, amazing produce that I knew the exact origin of. And I discovered some really great new stuff (I heart kohlrabi). But last year (the year I did a csa) was terrible weather-wise. So I got nowhere near the amount/variety of stuff I was expecting (although the farm did a very admirable job of working with neighboring farms to bulk up our baskets).

It really is a crap shoot. If saving money is your goal, I can't say that I'd recommend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

In my CSA, there were usually more baby greens than almost anyone could eat but a strict salad loving raw foodist.
Ha...mine too. I love me some baby greens, but I was throwing them by the bagful (and by throwing out, I mean "putting out back for the squirrels/rabbits.")

·
Registered
3,423 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BTW think I FELL in love with her site!

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
yeah, I"m on it again right now lookin at a cinnamon sweet potato salad recipe