VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I absolutely love cryptozoology!! For those who haven't heard the term it refers to the study of animals that are rumored to exist based on folklore, myths and in some cases, scientific evidence. For example, bigfoot, the Lochness monster etc. Cryptozoology is a combination of anthropology and biology. The term cryptozoology was coined by Dr. Bernard Heuvelmans in the 1950's.

Now I'm not saying that I believe that these creatures exist, I just find reading about them fascinating. I've always been curious about ghosts and ghoulies and such, but it wasn't until I was taking my anthropology degree that I learned about cryptozoology. I love learning about the monsterish folklore of different cultures. It's really cool too, how many similar beasties you can find across cultures. Many cultures all over the world have some version of bigfoot. Same thing with the Lochness Monster, and even vampires.

What's even more exciting (to me anyway) is trying to explain the folklore. For example, La Bete de Gevaudan (a movie called Brotherhood of Wolves was recently made about this). Some people theorize that it was a large wolf, a hyena, a lion, or even a man in fur.

Like I said, I don't really believe in any of these creatures, but I do think that there are plenty of animals that haven't been discovered yet. New species are found each year. And it's fun to try and discover how these folklore and myths got started. For example, some people believe that the basis of the whole dragon myth is a komodo dragon or possibly a python.

So is anyone else interested in cryptozoology? Anyone ever seen something monsterish and unexplainable? What's your favourite cryptid?

Mine is the Jersey Devil. This site has a pretty good explanation of what the Jersey Devil is, the history of the myth, and pictures!

·
Registered
828 Posts
I love folklore, though I haven't studied in it any depth. I swear I saw a unicorn once, but it might have been a moment of temporary insanity.

I really love reading the Chronicles of Narnia, which is full of mythical beasts.

I do believe in ghosts, because I (and 6 other people) saw one once. It was just a bluish light floating across a window, but we all saw it, clear as day, and ran away screaming in shock.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I've always thought some of those things could be true, especially Big Foot. Some of those documentaries, even if they may not be credible, really give you the chills.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
From Of Wolves and Men by Barry Lopez...

"C. H. D. Clarke, a Canadian naturalist, is responsible for bringing to English readers the story of the "beasts of Gevaudan." These two animals between them killed at least sixty-four people, maybe as many as one hundred, in the Cevennes Mountains of south-central France between June 30, 1764, and June 19, 1767. The majority of the victims were small children.

The creatures were hunted down by a succession of small armies, all of whom failed until the job was finally done by a gentleman in his sixties called Antione de Bauterne. The male of the ravening pair was killed on September 21, 1766. He weighed 130 pounds, stood 32 inches at the shoulder, and measured 5 feet, 7 inches from nose to tail. By European standards, compared to other specimens of European wolf, he was enormous. The female, somewhat smaller, was killed nine months later.

Clarke reviewed most of the literature bearing on human predation in southern and central Europe, and in central Asia (where the majority of stories originated) and concluded that almost every report of a wolf attacking a human being could be attributed to a rabid animal or a hybrid. The Gevaudan wolves were of such size and were so oddly colored, Clarke believed, that they must have been wolf-dog hybrids. Wolf-dog hybrids are sometimes larger than either parent and are far more likely, too, to prey on children and livestock, and would probably fear men less.

Between 1740 and 1773, about two thousand wolves were killed in the region of Gevaudan, mostly in attempts to kill the Gevaudan pair." (pp. 70-71)

there you have the beasts of Gevaudan... I can't wait to see Brotherhood of the Wolf to see how much it differs from the history...

·
Registered
4,778 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Woo!! People actually responded!! I wasn't sure if anyone would!

Shewolf, I haven't seen the movie, but I have read a synopsis of it, and it doesn't follow the version of events that you posted. It's more loosely based on another theory of what happened, but I won't spoil it for you.

Werewolves, huh? I never would have guessed
It's amazing how many cultures have some kind of shapeshifter myth, including many different types of animals: wolves, foxes, bears, jaguars, other cats, other wild dogs, even seals (selkie).

Last year I was reading a lot about werewolves, and a few stories I came across involved belts that once tied to a person, would turn them into a werewolf. I thought that was pretty interesting, since I had only heard of the full moon explanation before that.

Oatmeal, El Chupacabra is a pretty cool myth. Have you ever seen that picture of what is supposed to be a dead one? It looked like a partially decayed cat. The second link you provided has a link to the picture, I think.

Superjane, I remember that episode of X-files. In fact, I think that was the first time I'd heard of El Chupacabra. I think that their interpretation of it was some kind of government secret testing or something involving a conspiracy. A conspiracy on X-files, imagine that

·
Registered
794 Posts
I'm extremely interested in cryptzoology, and have been for years.

I've always been fascinated by the case of the Surrey Puma, seeing as I live in Surrey myself. My mum's friend's mother was actually the first person to take a photograph of it, in the mid-sixties. I've never seen it myself, but my friend, who lives on a farm nearby, claims that he has seen it. He's probably lying, though

Nessie was also a big obsession of mine, as a kid. I was meant to go to Loch Ness with my Dad and some of his friends, but for some reason, it didn't happen
Though, I really haven't heard much about her for years.

Also, I've read some really interesting stuff about giant shark cryptids, bearing an extraordinary resemblance to the Carcharodon Megalodon, which was over 50 feet long, and was basically the Great White's big big big big brother!

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
I'm a regular reader of the Fortean Times (tends to publish late, but a great mag if you can get it.) It runs cryptozoology articles that run from the big ones like Nagas and Nessie to more disturbing and probable cryptids like the British Large Cats.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool Gazumper!! You wouldn't have a copy of that pic that you could post, by any chance? Or maybe a link to it if it's up somewhere on the internet?

Seems like Britain has quite a few big cats lurking around: the surrey puma, the beast of exmoor, the beast of bodmin. One theory I read was that these cats are actually a hybrid species of Asian jungle cats with domestic cats. However, if this is the case, it only accounts for the smaller type of cat that has been reported, and does not explain the larger, puma sized cats. Perhaps travellers brought a few back with them, as pets or for display, and somehow they got loose and bred in the wild.

This article suggests that they aren't cats, but badgers! Of course, one case of a dog being killed by a badger doesn't explain all the sightings going back to 1770.

·
Registered
794 Posts
SilverC,

Here's the picture!

It was described as being roughly "3ft in length and of a sandy brown colour, with a small feline head, muscular body and thick tail."

The photo was taken in 1966, in Worplesdon, Surrey, by Ian Pert (I thought it was my mum's friend's mother who took the picture - but it was actually her father).

I read Fortean Times, too, Kirk! I haven't picked up the latest issue yet, but it's always a fascinating read

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow!! Cool picture! And it actually seems legit, unlike so many other cryptid photos.

Take this little gem for instance. Supposedly the head of a chupacabra.

kirk, I've never heard of that magazine, but I will definately look around for it!

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've always had a great fascination with mythical critters, especially Dragons! And related critters like wyverns. I'm also fond of unicorns (particularly the Ki-rin) and gryphons. I'm also fascinated with myths about mermaids & sirens .. and shape-shifters as well (as i was growing up, i constantly wished i could be a shape-shifter!)

·
Registered
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SilverC

Wow!! Cool picture! And it actually seems legit, unlike so many other cryptid photos.

Take this little gem for instance. Supposedly the head of a chupacabra.

kirk, I've never heard of that magazine, but I will definately look around for it!
So many of those Chupacabra pictures are just so unbelievably poor. I saw a photo of one supposedly hiding behind a rock. It was laughably bad

And you should definitely check out Fortean Times. They actually had an issue devoted to UK pumas and such, quite recently.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Personally I favor the theory that chupacabras are a secret genetic experiment carried out by the U.S. government, gone wrong.

I mean, of course it's the U.S. government to blame, what else???

Movies... a lot of movies mention chupacabra, and/or play with the theme. I don't know if there are any chupacabra movies per say, if anyone knows any, let me know! Predator (w/ Arnold) is to me a very chupacabra-ish movie!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts