5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/...885349046.html

Quote:
Crusty, but crying inside

By Penelope Debelle

May 16 2003

Under water no one can hear you scream.

But a couple of Australian fisherman have become attuned to the plight of the humble lobster and its pain threshold on the way to the dinner table.

After complaints by the fishermen and recent research that found fish feel pain, scientific tests have begun in Adelaide to see how much it hurts when a section of tail is cut off a live crustacean.

In South Australia, Western Australian and Tasmania recreational fishermen must remove the tail fan of lobsters caught in private pots to mark them as a recreational rather than commercial catch.

The lobsters are then usually kept alive for as long as possible during transportation to preserve freshness. The two fishermen have baulked at the practice, believing it to be cruel.

Their complaints cut no ice with the South Australian Fisheries, which prosecuted them for non-compliance. But in doing so it also undertook to examine their concerns.

"The way animals ethics are these days, it needed to be investigated," said the fisheries chief, Will Zacharin.

The fisheries' veterinarian, Dr Colin Johnston, and scientists from the South Australian Research and Development Institute have begun examining lobster tails for evidence of nerve tissue. They will also test the biochemical response of lobsters when their tails are clipped because animals in pain emit antigens which can be an indicator of distress.

"Even though these creatures are going to be eaten, people still care about these things," Dr Johnston said.

An assessment will be made in about a month on whether the lobsters' response is a reflex twitch or a real show of distress.

But a hacked tail may be the least of a lobster's troubles.

"If you look at it in context there are lobsters losing legs all the time and having their antennae busted off in the course of being caught," Mr Zacharin said.

The findings will be used to recommend whether the practice should continue but, either way, the reprieve will be shortlived.

"When you think about it, lobsters after they are caught are either drowned in fresh water or they are thrown into boiling water," Mr Zacharin said.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Ugh, this harkens me back to my waiting days. I worked in a bar/restaurant that had those tanks with live lobsters crammed in them. The customers were so thrilled that they got to choose their lobster. I wasn't a vegan then, but I refused to grab them out of the water. I made someone else get them for me. They'd be taken to the chef and he'd stab it. This is actually less suffering for the lobsters than being thrown into boiling water; though they probably did it so the customers wouldn't hear the lobsters scream
Anyhow, I remember feeling sad working there for that reason. That really is cruel. Boiled alive??? How horrible.

*by the way, has anyone heard about lobsters screaming? I've read about it; but have never witnessed it. I've also heard it referenced several times on tv specials/shows.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I would think that the shock of the temperature change would probably kill the lobsters instantly. The most humane way of euthanizing a fish is to put it in boiling water, so I would assume it is similar for lobsters. Not really my area of expertise though so I may be wrong.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Peebs, I think because they don't die instantly, it's more cruel. They move around (thrash) in the water for a while. Pretty awful. It reminds me of drowning or burning alive.

Catching fish and throwing them into an ice box is so awful too. A slow death doesn't sound like the best way to die either.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Here's what one person states: "...Contrary to popular belief, lobsters do not scream when plunged into the boiling water. The shrill whistle that is heard is caused by the contracting of their shells."

He goes on to list other problems with lobster cruelty. I guess there's a sound, but, possibly, arguable what it is exactly.

http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/1395/aro991201.html

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Well, my dad used to keep fish as pets and once he had a problem with parasites that were eating holes in the heads of his fish, so he decided to euthanize the fish. A book he had recommended putting the fish in hot water to kill them humanely. I guess I just thought it would be similar with lobsters (of course, I don't eat them or any other animals).

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mouse

The recommended way of euthanizing a dying fish is to cut its head off quickly with a sharp knife.
That is the only one I have heard of that makes sense, however, when I have had sick fish, I did not think I would have the skill to quickly kill them in that manner.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Thalia

I worked at a Red Lobster, one of the guys said he never heard them scream.
I heard the scream story before; maybe that is why they go head first into the boiling water ?

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
http://tampa.about.com/c/ht/00/07/Ho...0962932945.htm

http://www.dailyillini.com/oct_98/oc...s/column2.html

Sadly I was party to the death knells of many an anthropod last week, as University Dining Services held its annual Lobster Night. For those readers out there in University land who have not heard a lobster scream, well ... its not a pretty sound. Imagine if Celine Dions yowling in Titanic didnt end with the end, if during the recording a big piece of, oh, I dont know, ice (we couldnt be that lucky) got stuck in her throat and she was forced to gag on the high notes. With that image firmly in mind, you can come close to imagining what a lobster sounds like in boiling water.

http://www.fundylobster.com/lobster.htm

Lobsters have no vocal chords, and as such do not scream when cooked. They also do not experience pain. Any sound you hear could be that of air escaping from the lobsters body cavity as it expands from heating.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.