VeggieBoards banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
seeker and optimist
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1 tsp yeast

1/2 cup unbleached bread flour (lately I've been using 1/4 cup amaranth and 1/4 cup rye flours)

1 1/2 cups org. whole wheat flour

1/3 cup quinoa

1/4 cup rolled oats

1 tsp applesauce + 1 tsp oil (to sub for 1 tblsp butter)

2 tblsp poppy seeds

1 tblsp turbinado

1 tblsp blackstrap molasses (goes directly to the crust- YUM)

1 tsp sea salt

1/2 cup water

1/2 cup nut milk

I set my bread machine on rapid whole wheat bake and the bread is ready in 3 hours. I do hope you enjoy this, my family certainly does. I came up with this by simply altering my bread machine's oatmeal bread recipe.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
1 tblsp turbinado

1 tblsp blackstrap molasses

This is downright silly. Turbinado is refined from partially dehydrated cane juice; the final refinement step has not been done yet. Most of the molasses has been removed. Blackstrap molasses is precisely what is removed from partially dehydrated cane juice, when turbinado sugar is made. Or to put it another way, turbinado sugar is precisely what is removed from dehydrated cane juice, when blackstrap molasses is made. Instead of starting with partially dehydrated cane juice and separating the turbinado from the blackstrap molasses, then buying each, then putting them both in your recipe, it would be much simpler to just use partially dehydrated cane juice. This is called "light molasses", or "Steen's Cane Syrup. There are also some crystalized forms available in Latin markets. It has not gone through as much heating as either turbinado has or blackstrap has, so it is better. And much less energy has been used, in producing it, so it is better for the environment. 2 tablespoons of light molasses has about the same sweetness and same molasses content as 1 tbs of blackstrap and 1 tbs of turbinado.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts