VeggieBoards banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody ever been on a cruise as a vegan? Was it vegan friendly? How 'bout airtravel is that friendly to vegans?<br><br><br><br>
thanks

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Never been on a cruise, but every vegetarian meal I've ever had had on a plane been pretty much vegan (no obvious eggs, milk, or cheese anyway). Could be I've just had good experiences. I know that some airlines actually offer a "vegan" choice (China Airlines does, but that probably won't help you). You might ask for a "vegetarian kosher" meal to get the closest to vegan that an airline might offer.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've never been on a cruise because it's my idea of a nightmare... but, I do remember hearing about a vegetarian cruise about six years ago. That's not what your asking is it? I'm sure there would something for you to eat if you don't mind eating a lot of over cooked veggies, white rice, and bread products.<br><br>
As far as air travel goes I always order a vegetarian meal when I make my reservations, but I never eat it unless I'm lucky enough to be traveling in first class. Even then it pretty much sucks and I'll just pick at it. I usually bring a packed meal.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Air travel Vegan food is normally good. I've flown on Cathay Pacific, British Airways and Qantas quite a few times, and have always had good Vegan meals.<br><br><br><br>
But that was when they remembered my meal and didn't say "sorry, we've not loaded your order and have run out of vegetarian meals, would you like some chicken instead?".

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
The best thing is to talk to the airlines/travel agents/cruise lines to find out if they offer vegan food. United Airlines has a vegan option, and so does American, I believe. If they're not sure what vegan is, it would be best to write them a letter saying what you won't eat and ask if they can accomodate you.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are United and AA still flying? If I was booking a ticket I don't know how confident I'd be about flying with them.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I went on a Carnival Cruise last year, and while there are not many vegan options, there is usually something to eat. One night at dinner, the only veggie option had cheese on it, and since it was already prepared, they couldn't take it off. So the chef make me a plate of various steamed veggies - which sounds kinda "bleh" - but it was actually pretty good. They also had free room service, so I had plenty of PB&J! For a vegan, a cruise is definetly something to go on for the experience and not for the food.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts