VeggieBoards banner

Cruise Frustration

2K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  saramaus 
#1 ·
So, my in-laws are doing this family cruise thing for 7 days that I am obligated to do. Prior to purchasing tickets I was told by the travel agent not to worry that they would have options for me and would be able to accommodate a vegan, but after reading some info on cruises I requested a special form to make sure that I would be accommodated. Prior to having my husband send out my form I read up on their cruise info and it looked like I would have no problem being accommodated, but here is the email I got back:

-----Original Message-----
From: special_needs@rccl.com [mailto:special_needs@rccl.com]
Sent: Friday, May 20, 2011 1:32 PM
To: XXXXXX (my husband's email address)
Subject: RE: Special Needs Form

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us with your inquiry. Unfortunately, while we can accommodate some special dietary needs, such as food allergies and gluten-free, vegetarian, low-fat, low sodium, Lactaid/soy milk, Ensure and kosher meals, at no extra charge, we cannot accommodate vegan or lacto-ovo vegetarian. We apologize for any disappointment this may cause.

On all our daily menus, we offer a vegetarian selection (an appetizer or soup, salad and main entre). This does not have to be ordered in advance.
Please note, these meals are not specific to any style of vegetarian preparation and do contain dairy. Additionally, we do not provide vegan or macrobiotic meals of any kind and do not have access to organic food items.

Best regards,
Access Staff
GM

[THREAD ID:1-UD4Q9E]

Sent: 5/19/2011 11:24:59 AM
To: <special_needs@celebrity.com>
Cc: XXXXX (my email address)
Subject: Special Needs Form

Hello,

Attached please find the Special Needs form for our trip in July. FYI, I had tried to fax this form over per the instructions this morning on four occasions and it would not go through.

Please let me know that this has been received and if you need any additional information from us.

Thanks,

XXXXX (husband's name)

Now to me this is like almost a direct attack on vegans. I don't understand how they are not willing to accommodate us but pretty much everyone else. What should I do? I really am supposed to go on this trip but why should I have to bring all my own meals which would probably be mostly bars and things that don't require being heated or refrigerated. I've heard that cruises were mostly very accommodating and this cruise line was as well.

See less See more
#2 ·
I wonder if they would have any problem accommodating you if you had allergies.

This, to me, seems downright ridiculous; every cruise I've been on has prepared special meals for me with no fuss, and with no notice whatsoever. They're the ones getting your money, you should be able to eat something for the duration of your seven days. I would send a strongly worded e-mail back, explaining that you should be able to eat something on the holiday that you are paying for.

#3 ·
it makes me mad that they are willing to accommodate something unimportant like low-fat but not vegan (which to me I just have a real strong belief that it is wrong to eat animal products).

This is a real expensive cruise and its already been paid for and if I don't go then my in-laws will be pretty furious with me. If it was a trip just for me and my husband I would say well, if you refuse to accommodate me than I refuse to pay you but I don't know if I should put my foot down and not go or suck it up and go and pretty much starve myself.

AeryFairy-yeah, I will definitely send them a strong worded email back. I doubt it will do anything though.

#4 ·
how can they accomondate vegetarian when they can't accomondate lacto-ovo vegetarian? i bet their idea of "vegetarian" includes fish.
i wouldn't go and get a refund if there will be no food. you've done all you can and if your in-laws want to be angry then they can be angry at the cruise line for failing to provide what they said would be no problem

#5 ·
zirpkatze-i was thinking that myself. yeah, i think i might just cancel if they refuse to do anything. the cruise is a lot of money.

btw, my hubby wrote what's below without me prompting him to. he is awesome!

Hello,

I am concerned by this response regarding my wife's nutritional needs.

Are you saying that she would have no options to eat on this cruise? Our travel agent assured us that you would be able to accommodate such a simple request. What are her options? I am assuming you do not expect your vegan customers to starve while on your cruise lines.

If nothing can be done, we would have to cancel our trip of 6 people and 3 rooms. Our agent informs us that other cruise lines can accommodate vegans.
I am quite surprised by this response, especially considering the needs of gluten-free individuals are much harder to accommodate than vegans, and this accommodation would be very similar to someone with certain food allergies.

Please let me know ASAP so that we can adequately prepare for our family vacation.

#7 ·
nice reply from the husband.
i could think of several dishes they could make with simple ingredients. they'd be basic but filling. pasta (pre-purchased) with steamed veggies in tomato sauce or grilled veggies tossed in some olive oil, rice or risotto and grilled/steamed veggies, fruit for dessert, some basic tofu recipe, quinoa with veggies, vegan burgers (pre-purchased or handmade).
none of those things would require even any special knowledge from the chef, just slightly altered ingredients. i'm sure you're not expecting them to make 5-star vegan food, just something reasonably varied, tasty and filling.

#8 ·
Your husband is awesome for writing that.
If they do not want to accommodate you, then they want to lose business.

You're free to do whatever you want, if you don't want to go that's your choice; if anyone in the family gets upset that you don't want to go then that's their choice.

#13 ·
I don't know why your in-laws would be furious with you. Everyone who knows me knows I wouldn't put up with a response like that. I would have insisted on an immediate refund and I would blast the heck out of them on Google reviews, the BBB and whatever other media I could find. And I'm not just saying that. I have done it many times in the past.

Stand up for yourself. Expensive cruises are supposed to be luxurious and the staff is supposed to happily do whatever it takes to make your cruise pleasurable. They have already started out on the wrong foot. It probably won't get any better. Save your money or find another cruise line that will volunteer to provide you with gourmet vegan meals. Don't settle for energy bars and salads. It's your money and you have a choice.

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

It really sounds to me like they have no clue what they're talking about.
I think they don't know what lacto-ovo vegetarian means, not necessarily that they think fish is vegetarian.

Yeah, if this cruise is important to you, I'd suggest an email that explains exactly what kinds of vegan meals you expect. Say you want meals without meat, dairy, eggs, or honey. And then clarify meat for them by saying no meat also means no fish or poultry. Explain that it's ok if they use the same cookware and dishes, just no animal-based oils or creams, no butter or lard. Offer to give/loan them a vegan cookbook or two.

However, if you are concerned about trace ingredients (for example, you want to look at the soy milk container and make sure it doesn't have animal-derived vitamin D or something) then just take them at face value when they say they cannot accomodate vegans.

And if you want to go on a cruise that doesn't have dead animals on it, check out:
http://www.atasteofhealth.org/vegan-cruise.htm

#15 ·
I also was puzzled by their comment that they could provide vegetarian meals, but not ovo-lacto-vegetarian. Huh?....

And cruises are supposed to be very solicitous to their passengers as regards food preferences. They should be, considering how expensive they can be. Vegans these days aren't exactly a rarity.

#16 ·
It would be so easy for them to make you some tomato pasta, mixed bean salad, stir fried veg with rice, cheeless pizza, bruschetta, baked potato with baked beans, roasted veg with couscous, lentil soup, nachos with salsa and fruit salad. Surely any chef's kitchen would already contain the ingredients for most or all of those things unless they are serving frozen ready meals?

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by creep View Post

My understanding is that they have to say that to cover their asses, but once you show up, you just let your server know what you eat, and you'll be taken care of.
but if youre wrong, no food for 7 days!

that is a bizarre email, i had to read it several times. I would agree that maybe they dont exactly know what a Vegan is (since they cater for vegetarians but not lacto ovo vegetarians). Maybe they do just have a load of precooked meals that get microwaved, blergh.

#18 ·
thanks for all the support guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

I don't know why your in-laws would be furious with you. Everyone who knows me knows I wouldn't put up with a response like that. I would have insisted on an immediate refund and I would blast the heck out of them on Google reviews, the BBB and whatever other media I could find. And I'm not just saying that. I have done it many times in the past.

Stand up for yourself. Expensive cruises are supposed to be luxurious and the staff is supposed to happily do whatever it takes to make your cruise pleasurable. They have already started out on the wrong foot. It probably won't get any better. Save your money or find another cruise line that will volunteer to provide you with gourmet vegan meals. Don't settle for energy bars and salads. It's your money and you have a choice.
i have no problem standing up to companies that won't cater to me but this situation is a bit different since it involves my in-laws. they didn't like me for the first 8 years of my relationship with my husband, they are very much about appearance, and they already think that i care more about animals than people. essentially, by not going i am ruining a trip that they planned for the whole family since if i don't go my husband also won't go. the tickets have already been booked and everyone is already excited. to be honest, i never wanted to do a cruise. i get motion sick in cars, so the idea of being on a boat kinda freaks me out. this was all my mother-in-laws idea that i had pretty much protested against since the beginning. if i don't go, i'm pretty sure she will think i did this on purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

I think they don't know what lacto-ovo vegetarian means, not necessarily that they think fish is vegetarian.
Yeah, if this cruise is important to you, I'd suggest an email that explains exactly what kinds of vegan meals you expect. Say you want meals without meat, dairy, eggs, or honey. And then clarify meat for them by saying no meat also means no fish or poultry. Explain that it's ok if they use the same cookware and dishes, just no animal-based oils or creams, no butter or lard. Offer to give/loan them a vegan cookbook or two.
on the special needs form i filled out and my husband emailed for me, i explained vegan in detail. so, they do have a pretty good idea of what i can and can't have. they just don't want to deal with it. the form was pretty extensive, so they are willing to cover a lot of different needs some even at great expense.

#20 ·
I don't have any advice, but this sounds really rubbish for you! I'd wait for a reply to your husband and go from there, even if something is resolved though I'd probally take some food just incase there are any problems whilst on the cruise - you don't want to end up going hungry! Do you go off anywhen? I've never been on a cruise or anything but I think on some you go off onto mainlands for days sometimes, so you could also try to buy some food then if worst came to worst.

I went on holiday for a month where I was provided food (and similarly didn't have an option of fending for myself) and was told countless times they could cater for vegans easily - it even said "can cater for vegans" on their website: well I turn up and after a week realise I'm eating the same meal, twice a day (carrots and green beans with either rice or pasta) almost every day. I felt awful and it did tanish an otherwise amazing trip (things got better towards the end, but I did get unwell after a couple of weeks) So anyway my advice would be BE PREPARED just incase, before I went I was so sure the food would be fine that I ignored my parents/boyfriends worries and didn't bring any extra food and I really regretted it! It doesn't hurt to bring things like nuts, dried fruits, snack bars, etc just in case and then not use them and bring them back home!

Hope it all works out - it sounds like a bit of a nightmare anyway with your inlaws
!

#21 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronzebed View Post

i have no problem standing up to companies that won't cater to me but this situation is a bit different since it involves my in-laws. they didn't like me for the first 8 years of my relationship with my husband, they are very much about appearance, and they already think that i care more about animals than people. essentially, by not going i am ruining a trip that they planned for the whole family since if i don't go my husband also won't go. the tickets have already been booked and everyone is already excited. to be honest, i never wanted to do a cruise. i get motion sick in cars, so the idea of being on a boat kinda freaks me out. this was all my mother-in-laws idea that i had pretty much protested against since the beginning. if i don't go, i'm pretty sure she will think i did this on purpose.
i know you're trying to please your in-laws to keep the peace but if they wanted an enjoyable vacation with the whole family then maybe they should have thought about the needs of everyone involved. if they wanted to do a cruise so badly they could have done a vegan one where everyone got food they could eat. it's not like you're all going to dinner at a place where you can't eat for 1 meal, you're stuck in a place for a week where you might not get any food besides snackbars.

#22 ·
Quote:

essentially, by not going i am ruining a trip that they planned for the whole family since if i don't go my husband also won't go. the tickets have already been booked and everyone is already excited. to be honest, i never wanted to do a cruise. i get motion sick in cars, so the idea of being on a boat kinda freaks me out. this was all my mother-in-laws idea that i had pretty much protested against since the beginning. if i don't go, i'm pretty sure she will think i did this on purpose.

on the special needs form i filled out and my husband emailed for me, i explained vegan in detail. so, they do have a pretty good idea of what i can and can't have. they just don't want to deal with it. the form was pretty extensive, so they are willing to cover a lot of different needs some even at great expense.
In that case, I would pack a bunch of luna bars and dramamine. I'd also pack whatever other pharamcueticals I might need to stay sane around those people. And I'd barter with hubby for some nice spending cash for souvenirs/alcohol to make the trip worthwhile

#23 ·
What kind of cruise is this? Is it a popular cruise line? Have you looked up reviews of this company? The whole thing just baffles me because if they can cater to vegetarians , allergies and various other types of diets then why is it impossible to make vegan meals for someone?

#24 ·
I would take this as far up the chain with the cruise line as possible. Can you ask to talk to a supervisor? I don't normally make a fuss about things but this seems worth it. It's absurd that they would tell you they can't accommodate you.

Honestly if you can't work it out with them, I would cancel. Your in-laws should never have booked tickets without first making sure your needs would be covered. My in-laws are hardcore meat and potatoes people but would never take me somewhere without thinking about what I could eat there (and would definitely not be "furious" if I refused to go.) And honestly my husband would not put up with behavior like that from his parents either.

I'm pretty flexible in terms of going places and fending for myself, but there is no way I would go on a weeklong trip where I knew I would have to live off energy bars and salads. Especially not if it was expensive.

ETA: Thinking about this, I think I would also ask what food they do have if they're so insistent that their food is unsuitable for vegans. They say they have soy milk. Seems like at breakfast it would have to be pretty easy to provide fruit, cereal, soymilk, toast with peanut butter, oatmeal, etc. At lunch and dinner it would seem like they would have salads, pastas, veggies, potatoes, maybe burrito or sandwich fixings... vegan veggie burgers are pretty easy to provide... The whole thing just seems bizarre. I've only been on one cruise in my life and I wasn't veg*n at the time, but SO much food was provided at each meal and even between meals. They might have more vegan options than this customer service person thinks they do.

#25 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlend View Post

I would take this as far up the chain with the cruise line as possible. Can you ask to talk to a supervisor? I don't normally make a fuss about things but this seems worth it. It's absurd that they would tell you they can't accommodate you.

ETA: Thinking about this, I think I would also ask what food they do have if they're so insistent that their food is unsuitable for vegans. They say they have soy milk. Seems like at breakfast it would have to be pretty easy to provide fruit, cereal, soymilk, toast with peanut butter, oatmeal, etc. At lunch and dinner it would seem like they would have salads, pastas, veggies, potatoes, maybe burrito or sandwich fixings... vegan veggie burgers are pretty easy to provide... The whole thing just seems bizarre. I've only been on one cruise in my life and I wasn't veg*n at the time, but SO much food was provided at each meal and even between meals. They might have more vegan options than this customer service person thinks they do.
Yes to all of this especially the bolded part. The whole thing is sketchy because it doesn't make sense. I really question the customer service person (or persons )that has replied saying it's impossible. That's why I'm curious about what type of cruise line this is and what kind of reputation it has.

#26 ·
Quote:

From: special_needs@rccl.com [mailto:special_needs@rccl.com]
Sent: Friday, May 20, 2011 1:32 PM
To: XXXXXX (my husband's email address)
Subject: RE: Special Needs Form

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us with your inquiry. Unfortunately, while we can accommodate some special dietary needs, such as food allergies and gluten-free, vegetarian, low-fat, low sodium, Lactaid/soy milk, Ensure and kosher meals, at no extra charge, we cannot accommodate vegan or lacto-ovo vegetarian. We apologize for any disappointment this may cause.
They are, obviously, unfamiliar with veganism or they would realize how easy and inexpensive it can be to make vegan meals, even by making one or two tweaks to the meals they are already serving. You're a paying customer. I recommend that you escalate the matter. There is no good reason they can't prepare vegan meals for you.

Also, I have to point out this inconsistency in their email: "while we can accommodate...vegetarian...we cannot accommodate...lacto-ovo vegetarian." Hmmmm...same thing there. Again, obviously, they don't know what they are talking about

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.