VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there
I am trying to find a Animal Cruelty Free washing powder/laundry ball

Would anyone mind sharing which products you use - I have been searching the net but don't seem to be getting any clear answers.

Also I have been researching Ecover and seem to get conflicting opinions some folk say that they do test on animals but on the Ecover web site they claim they do not - any ideas???

Any advice gratefully recieved - I am getting to the bottom of my current washing powder and want to make the best choice.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
We stopped using Ecover after they were using rabbit blood and saying water fleas don't count as animals.
We use soap nuts (sometimes called soap pods) they are these sticky little shells that grow on trees and you put them in a little bag to wash and after 3 washes they can be composted. I can't see where you are--UK? US? but if you google soap nuts you should get some hits. A big ole bag lasts us for ages. We used to order online but our local health food shop will soon be carrying them so we'll probably get them that way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both so much for answering.

I have tried soap nuts but they didn't seem to get my little ones clothes so clean - also they were a bit of a faf - trying to get the washing in before my 2yr old gets in the washer too can be a trial sometimes!! I will definately give them another try tho.

I am in the UK - I have only just joined and not had time to do my profile, but it is on my to do list.

Thanks for the advice.

P.S Rabbit Blood what on earth for????

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
About the rabbit blood--According to their website: Ecover also uses a red blood cell test (Invittox RBC) on a non-systematic basis that uses blood from rabbit farming to test the effect of detergents on mucus membranes (to test skin compatability).This test is used only in those cases where alternative testing methods are unavailable. Given the shortage of human red blood cells Ecover believes the use of human blood would be unethical. However, as alternative testing methods are continuously investigated, Ecover is confident that the RBC test shall become obsolete over the next few years.

Yes I can see how soap nuts might not work for kids who get really dirty--grass stains or mud but for 2 adults they clean well.

I have not tried this--but I have liked their washing up liquid and toilet cleaner --but a company called Planet Clean has the vegan society logo and does make laundry liquid and powder.
http://www.mcbride.co.uk/media-centre/images/products

I bought mine at Wilkinsons.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have just been to my local Co-op and their washing powder is now BUAV approved - it is also on bogof on the small boxes - so I shall be giving that a go.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Because you are in the UK I would definately stick with CoOp brand. I use that.
Watch out for some of their fabric softners though..they contain animal ingredients.
It will say on the bottle if they do or not. I use their concentrated one...in the white bottle. Its 100% vegan.
Also for stain removers and such try Astonish OXY...89p a tub at home bargins/b&m type places

1 - 9 of 9 Posts