VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's spring-time and I live in a row home.

Ants love coming into my house and foraging one-by-one, two-by-two but they are not welcome, especially since they keep trying to eat Kitty's food.

Are you aware of any cruelty-free insect repellents that won't kill them but might otherwise convince them they're better off getting their food elsewhere?

I read online black pepper is an excellent repellent so I tried it. It actually worked! I started pouring black pepper on their frequented areas and they bugged out (no, I'm not sorry for the pun!)! They ran out of there like crazy.

What works for you?

... and I spelled repellents wrong in the title. fml.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
We've used cayenne pepper with success.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
For ants, I think the best thing is just to keep your house really clean. They like the food crumbs.
But sometimes it's just water they want so if you can find the hole that they're using to come inside, block it.
Lots of websites and people say this or that thing work, but I've tried lots of stuff for ants and none of it works except just keeping things really clean and plugging up holes.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, the pepper thing only seems to bother them because it was something falling atop them. They're back.

There's no crumbs to speak of in my house. What they're coming for is the cat food on the floor. I haven't yet been able to find the hole they're coming in through. I live in a old, turn-of-the-century brick row home, so it might take some time at that. lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have found the best thing to keep ants outside is to find where they are coming in and lay a line of hot chili powder - they won't cross it.
They won't eat it either, so no risk of poisoning.

Obviously make sure the ants are on the outside of the line first, otherwise you will trap them inside!

It doesn't work with the Mexican Sombrero Ant though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Citronella works really well for mosquitoes so I'd assume it would work for other bugs.

Cedar shavings is used to repel moths, fleas, and ticks, and I'd assume it would work with other bugs as well. Cedar works as a mulch too, and smells better than citronella.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
^^^ Cedar isn't good for small animal bedding though- it can make them sick. I doubt that cedar odor in the house would harm any pets who live with you though.

A lot of strong-smelling herbs seem to repel certain insects, so maybe start with some scents that you like anyway and see what works? This summer I had problems with flies in my house. I had read in one of my organic gardening books that flies don't like tansy, and it grows in my area as an introduced weed. I picked some and left it hanging in an open plastic bag where my rabbit couldn't reach it (it can make humans and animals sick if eaten). I swear it worked!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.