VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a question for vegans. I don't have a point to make, I am just curious to know what the range of opinion is.

Would you use animal products that were produced without any suffering or other harm to the animals involved?

A concrete example: I have a friend who keeps chickens on her property, treats them well, takes care of them when they are sick, etc., and sells the eggs at the Farmer's Market.

Regards, Tom

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Seusomon

Would you use animal products that were produced without any suffering or other harm to the animals involved?

A concrete example: I have a friend who keeps chickens on her property, treats them well, takes care of them when they are sick, etc., and sells the eggs at the Farmer's Market.

Regards, Tom
No, I won't use them. Why? Because the animals have not lived in freedom.

·
Banned
261 Posts
I agree with Vegantastic's point, also, I wouldn't eat them because I think they A) taste bad, and B) have things in them I don't consider healthy.

Cassie

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Seusoman, by definition, a vegan cannot. An ethical vegetarian (like me) would and does... but if a vegan used the eggs they would no longer be vegan.

Reason why I am not vegan and most probably never will be.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
I have a friend who has chickens roaming freely on her land. They have not had a rooster around for a few years, but the chickens still lay eggs and they choose to eat them.. i do not see anything wrong with them doing so. The chickens have come to her land on their own and are of course given some food, but not forced to stay. the eggs they lay have no chance of becoming a baby chick, since there is not a male to fertilize the egg. If they come upon freshly laid eggs they will eat them and i do not see this as being non vegan in the sense of the ethical aspect, but it obviously is an animal product, so it would not be vegan.

i have no desire to eat eggs, so i would choose not to eat them.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I wouldn't eat them because after being vegan ( even though its only like 5 months or less) eggs are gross to me. I dont think I will ever choose to eat them again.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
If they are truly cruelty-free, and no harm is caused, no shortness of life, no mistreatment, then there's nothing non-vegan about it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Even though these eggs do come from chickens that are treated well, I still feel that they are not mine to eat or help to make profit from.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Good point, Shewolf.

We keep chicken this way. They roam freely in the garden (we have a very large "wild" garden), they are treated well, fed regularly and their house (where they go to sleep at night) is kept clean. We have four hens, one rooster and two small chicks.

They used to lay eggs every day in the house (they go to the house alone to lay eggs in the boxes, then get out and call for the rooster, who'll then come and get them and accompany them back to the flock), but lately they haven't laid any eggs , only a few one scattered in the garden (those we could find)

I personally don't have a an ethical problem with these eggs, however I normally do not eat them (only very rarely), because I'm simply not too fond of eggs, and I prefer to live on a mainly plant-diet (you could say I'm a lacto/ovo-shunning lacto-ovo vegetarian)

My parents also keep these animals to eat them someday (allthough my mother is getting awfully fond of them) , that, on the other side, I'll never do. But if people choose to eat meat, I think this is considerably better than buying nice little packets of shrink-wrapped meat in the supermarked. At least they're dealing with what they're eating.

·
Registered
0 Posts
i still would feel guilty supporting any sort of animal product just because i would much prefer that the world move toward not looking at animals as a source for our .. consumables.

whats the point? eggs aren't that good for you and they are easily replaced by something better.

but maybe there is someone out there.. somewhere in .. milwaukee maybe.. who truly.. "digs".. eggs.

to me it's kinda like that whole "what if the chicken died of old age" thing. i guess you're not REALLY hurting anyone by cooking that sucker up. but.. err.. theres something that's just inherently wrong with it.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
I got into vegetarianism not so much because I saw horrid footage of factory farm procedures, but just because I didn't like the idea of consuming other sentient beings. I just didn't want to eat other animals. Seemed wrong. I was a "strict vegetarian" for a long while before I began to call myself "vegan." So, for me... Eating an egg, of any origin, just seems.. weird. Goes against what I feel to be my natural behavior and palate.

The same I assume is true for a lot of veg*ns. Eating an egg, even a supposedly cruelty-free one... Is just going to be too weird.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I would not eat them. I never did like eggs and they have all of that cholesterol and besides I still see them as chicken abortions.

I wouldn't feel right about it and it would be un-vegan.

Shannon

·
Registered
142 Posts
CharityAJO: i became veg also because i didn't want to eat animals. i learned about factory farms afterwards.

zimngir: the eggs that people eat are not abortions, because they were never fertilized. hens lay eggs naturally whether they are fetrilized or not. "hen periods" would be a better term.

·
Banned
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jaxxis

zimngir: the eggs that people eat are not abortions, because they were never fertilized. hens lay eggs naturally whether they are fetrilized or not. "hen periods" would be a better term.
Oh, now THAT'S appetizing.

Cassie

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
" "hen periods" would be a better term. "

--------------

OMG! LOL that is funny ...and kindof gross

I never liked eggs and rarely bought any as an omni (like sometimes not even once within a year). So I wouldn't eat any now regardless of where they are from.

This situation is very different than any commercial egg production could be (since they are trying to make a profit ) but if they are truelly free birds and you just find these eggs ... I don't realkly consider that bad.

This reminds me of this documentary I saw on tv ... they had this woman (the head of the United Poultry Concerns http://www.upc-online.org/ ... her name is Karen Davis) who is vegan and had lotsof hens she cared for. They all laid unfertilized eggs and she didn't eat them herself but called all the hens around this rock in the yard and dropped the eggs on the rock. The hens then ate the egg material.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Some might call egg-eating theft. I'm not sure I'd go all that far in every case, but I think that it's true a majority of the time.

Looking back, I can't believe I ever ate eggs because of what they are!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts