VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm taking this genetics class and our prof gave us the option for a free genetic counseling question/answer consultation on our past assignment. I gave him my family tree info and asked about the likelyhood of passing crohn's onto my children (if i have any) since my brother has it, who is my fraternal twin. He said my kids would have a higher risk than the general population and that I have an extremly high risk of developing either crohn's, ulcerative colitis, verticulitis etc. I also figured that my risk was greater tho never thought about it much. i've done a bit of research on the topic (obviously) but it's a difficult disease.

I did read that a veg diet is supposed to be good for preventing onset but the sources i found are questionable. I also read something about fish consumption supposedly being good for these types of conditions (don't worry, i'm not considering that option tho it's interesting). I know we have a few members here with the condition and was wondering if you had any good, well sourced, non-alternative med type sites you could link here.

thanks!

eta: I adopted a veg diet shortly after my brother's condition developed (19 yrs old) and wonder if it's played a role in preventing onset.

Some things I have learned: a single gene has been found for crohn's. Apparently this gene is involved with dealing with intestinal bacteria and those with the disease either don't have the gene or have some type of mutation that prevents the gene from working (i'm not sure how it works). I also read some where that animal protein plays a role.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm a graduate clinical science student. You could call it medical science as well. I study disease on several levels as with this class, on the molecular level tho my research is directed towards kidney stuff...for now at least.

I have to say that this genetics class is whipping my but. I have taken undergrad courses before but holy cow with this class. It's crushing me. I'm doing pretty good but it's at a pretty high cost. eh, so goes it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts