VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On TV here... they have some live presentation of this Steve Irwin (aka The Crocodile Hunter) transferring some crocs from one end of his zoo to another. Ropes them, jumps on them, drags them, teases them, etc.

I have to wonder... is this guy dealing with a full deck?

I dunno if I'd want to be splashing the water and enticing a strike from an 800+ pound eating machine.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert

I dunno if I'd want to be splashing the water and enticing a strike from an 800+ pound eating machine.
I don't think it's that much difference from wrestling with a motorbike on a circuit.....

I haven't seen the "show" so I cannot say if I would see the "transfer" of animals as abuse.

Though I think there are better ways of moving animals..... (?)

·
Registered
701 Posts
I think he's totally sane... smart even. He knows exactly what he's doing. The less sane he appears on TV, the more the bucks keep rolling in.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
I reckon he's quite sane enough (despite how he appears, etc) and seriously entertaining and charismatic in the interests of being a wild-life warrior!!! Thats what I have to say about him!

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
It's sad how cynical you sound spa-girl... I always thought he loved those animals but I still think he's over the top. The problem I have with him is that I know if he was talking to me like that I'd have to yell "I KNOW DAMMIT!" because he talks like he's the only one that knows anything about them. But I don't doubt his sincerity. He's doing what he feels he has to do the best way he can in his mind. And educating people while he's at it. Whether or not they are influenced by his extreme presentation manner is another question...

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I can't stand him. Even though his purposes are said to be good , I just find the whole thing too loud and annnoying. After a minute he really starts getting on my nerves.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Don't get me wrong -- I like him and I think he really does love the animals with a passion. But I also think he's a smart businessman.

I just think that he knows the reason people watch him is to see him act so over the top. And he wants people to watch him because it raises awareness about the animals and also makes quite a bit of money to support his projects for animals & land conservation (as well as for him & his family).

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I think hes great.
He grew up with a love for the wild and it shows through now.

As far as him being sane? Hmmm. I'm not always sure about that. He does seem to get imself into some strange situations doesn't he? But I still think hes a good guy.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
As Alpaca would say:

""So its all good then!!!""
(nerves aside I mean)

Wrestling with animals does of course get you noticed as Spa Girl

latterly points out... but over the top is the reaction to help saving

nature and entertaining/educating people at the same time (just

to replicate what you all have said).

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Ya, I've seen him a few times on Animal Planet.. he sure has a lot of guts and he's pretty funny to watch.

From the episodes I've seen, he really does a lot of good for these animals, not just the crocs. He rescues a lot of animals & reptiles and rehabilitates them.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by blueserendipity

did anyone read the link?
yes

He's a little overly hyper and Terri seems a bit fake, but that's a lot of what gets people to watch. Every episode I've seen -especially Croc Diaries - teaches a great compassion for the animals he works with and rescues. I didn't care much for the live show last night and think that he is a bit full of himself, but for the most part, I think he's a great guy. They seem to be raising their daughter Bindi to be wonderful with animals as well.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Yeah, he's crazy, but I think he does a lot of good work. So many people are so terrified of crocs, gators, snakes, lizards, and other animals that they just don't care enough to learn about them--they just want them eliminated so they don't have to deal with them. I think Mr. Irwin has done a good job of teaching people that all animals are a part of nature (or God's creatures) and deserve our utmost respect. He's had to come of really crazy to do that, but that's a good way to get people's attention.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts