VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyLennyCleo View Post

... I keep thinking that I might be able to lose more weight if I go back to eating fish...

Do you guys have any advice or ideas?
Sarah
I'm not understanding. How would eating fish help you lose weight? ????

Fish are very high in protein. Probably the highest level of protein of any whole food you could eat, in terms of grams per dry weight. Any protein that is consumed, beyond the amount that is needed - needed to construct our own proteins, nucleic acids, and other nitrogenous compounds - is converted into carbohydrates, if they are needed, otherwise, you guessed it - they are converted into fat.

Dietary protein, and protein stored in the form of muscle mass, can be converted to carbohydrates and fats. Dietary fats, and fats stored in the form of fatty deposits, cannot be converted into protein. Nor dan carbohydrates be converted into protein.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesta View Post

awesome sea creatures? Looked at photos and videos of coral reefs, whale sharks, mimic octopuses and underwater caves?
Thanks for informing me about mimic octopuses. I had not heard of them before. Wow are they awesome!

Oh, look at this, you can have one of these awesome creatures all for yourself; a mimic octopus that is all your own; fill a glass box with water, put the Octopus in the box, and show your friends. You own it; you can do whatever you want with it. It's up to you.

It doesn't seem to be appetizing-looking as a snack though.

I think that they are really really awesome. However something about them gives me the creeps though. Same goes for ordinary octopusses. Don't know why. Maybe I was eaten by an octopus in a past life.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Kjesta
Quote:
Are they [fish]a bit stupid? Sure!
They may look stupid, but they are not as stupid as they look. Just the fact that they are able to fool you, and make you think they are stupid, even though they are not - that shows how clever they are.

Did you ever see a school of fish swimming. They all turn at exactly the same time. Try to get a herd of humans to do that. Humans can't do that unless they practice and practice. And still, they depend on a single leader saying "face right" or whatever, to cue them in about when to face right. Fish don't have to practice. They get it right away. And they get it without a leader-fish shouting out commands, telling them when to turn, and in what direction. They just all know when it is time to turn, and what direction to turn. Plus unlike human herds, which can only turn simulataneously, at right angles, or at 180 degrees, fish schools can turn at any angle. 10 degrees, 25 degrees - anything. Plus up and down angles as well.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
This image is amazing.

Here is a video. At 1:48 you can see the cover has been removed by the octopus, and is hanging over the side of the jar, a moment after the octopus has grabbed the crab. Having extracted and eaten the crab, the octopus then decides to explore the inside of the jar.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Caren_in_LA
Quote:
This is a tough decision and one that I've struggled with as well. Keep in mind that most fish have high fat contents (especially salmon and seabass). I am also someone who is very weight conscious and the one thing I've learned over the years of stressing about my weight is that it's not about eating or not eating one thing, it's what you eat overall. If you eat junk (and only you can answer that honestly) then you will continue to have added pounds, regardless if you're consuming even the leanest fish. It's also about quantity. If you eat too much, you will not loose weight.
Actually there is no significant evidence that it is about anything else except calories. Makes no difference whether the calories come from fat, protein, or carbohydrates, or from good food, or junk food. Should you eat nothing but junk, or nothing but the best fruits and vegetables, if the junk has the same amount of calories as the good food, then it will have the same effect on your weight. While it may be that some foods may influence your appetite, one way or another, scientific evidence for such effects is lacking. Only you know what you tend to eat too much of, or too little of. As long as you eat the same number of calories, it will have the same effect on your weight, no matter where the calories come from. There are only a few known exceptions. One is, that if you have insufficient quantities of certain nutrients, it may cause a deficiency diesease, which prevents you adequate metabolizing the other nutrients you take in. While this could cause you to lose weight, or cause you to fail to gain weight despite large numbers of calories - it will also cause you to feel terribly ill. The other exception is, if you have a metabolic disorder. For example a thyroid disorder. In this case, you may gain despite moderate calories, or lose despite high calories - but will also feel terribly ill. Another exception is a disorder that prevents you from digesting your food, a genetic disease, a gastro-intestinal order, or a parasite infection that prevents you from digesting and utilizing your food properly, and such a disorder can cause you to lose weight, despite eating an amount of calories that would normally be adequate to maintain your weight. Again - you will lose weight - and feel sick.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts