VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been on in a while, I've been dealing with a lot of really difficult stuff in my life lately, but I'm turning to you guys because I really need help!

So, I've been a vegetarian for a year and a half now, and lately I've been tempted to go back to fish.

My reasons against are:
-fish are living too
-The environment (inefficiency of energy transfer between trophic levels)
-The idea of eating a dead animal is, quite frankly, gross

I know that eating fish is bad... but I keep thinking that I might be able to lose more weight if I go back to eating fish...
I'm just really worried I'll go back to fish, and the rational part of my brain knows it's bad, but still...
Do you guys have any advice or ideas?
Thanks, much appreciated,
Sarah

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp View Post

I'm not going to give you any advice, because, if I remember correctly, you weren't eating nearly enough and on the verge of/in the midst of an eating disorder when you were last around. I don't know enough to not cause any harm to someone in your situation, so I'll just say that it's good to see you back.
Good memory.
It's nice to see some familiar faces

Quote:
Originally Posted by keishari View Post

Where are you on the weight loss scale?
BMI of 23.3, I am well aware that that is within the normal range.
I'm asking why I should not eat fish, not asking what eating fish could do for me, though.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Then why do you want to lose more?
I'd rather not get into that, that's not what I'm asking and it's a really complicated matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLines View Post

I never understood why people obsess about weight, what you should obsess about is your health, there are healthy overweight people, and unhealthy underweight people. You should care less about your weight and more about your health. Eating fish isn't going to make you healthier or thinner, exercise will make you healthier and thinner.
I didn't really mean this to be about weight/weight loss, but rather about concrete reasons I can remind myself of as to why eating fish=bad

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Check out this article proving fish can feel pain: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/2983045.stm

And consider that no fish gets a humane death. They are either pulled up with a net and suffocate, or people bash their heads against the boat or cut them up while still alive. Not appetizing
Awesome, thanks

Do you know if invertebrates can feel pain as well?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyLennyCleo View Post

Awesome, thanks

Do you know if invertebrates can feel pain as well?
Though, I suppose better safe than sorry...
also, fishing hurts other sea creatures...............
I think I just answered my own question.
Thanks for helping me work through this you guys, sorry if it seemed a little random

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

What's more important to you - being a few pounds thinner, or choosing to boycott an industry which causes suffering and massive environmental damage? That's a question, not an attack. I'm tired of being warned and having my posts deleted for "attacking" people. How can a question be an attack? This question serves a serious purpose. It's not about me or the person I'm questioning. It's about issues that affect us all - all of us, including the fish.
In answer to your question, I'm not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbleforlola View Post

Sarah! *glomps*
Welcome back! Lots of love from Lola, too.
Heeeeey

Give Lola some love for me.
Cindy would give her love, but she's too busy licking her butt as I type.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Quote:

I have to ask. Are you a vegetarian just for weight loss or primarily for weight loss? I know I don't know you but what I do know is that obsessing about weight loss when you aren't in need of it seems to me like you have a disorder. I'm not saying this as a mean thing, I'm serious. Maybe you should make peace with food. Read intuitive Eating: A Recovery Book For The Chronic Dieter; Rediscover The Pleasures Of Eating And Rebuild Your Body Image by
Evelyn Tribole & Elyse Resch
I've been a vegetarian for maybe 16 months...
I've had an eating disorder for about 6 months. I know I have an eating disorder.
That is not why I'm vegetarian though, I'm vegetarian for the animals.
I realize that eating fish hurts the animals, I just needed a reality check on that.
So, I will not be eating fish.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Thanks for that lovely image, Heather

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsveggietime! View Post

You would also lose more weight if you ate more fruit as snacks. You don't really say what you are eating, which makes it hard to see what the real culprit is, and it you are really overeating or having other perception issues about food. Why not make a post of EXACTLY what you ate yesterday, not a made up day of what you typically eat - those tend to be idealized and don't really happen that way. A REAL DAY, would shed light on what problem you might be having.
That would be a pretty short list.
It's not that I'm not losing weight. It's that I would like to lose more. I have an eating disorder. I don't need weight loss advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts