VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been on in a while, I've been dealing with a lot of really difficult stuff in my life lately, but I'm turning to you guys because I really need help!

So, I've been a vegetarian for a year and a half now, and lately I've been tempted to go back to fish.

My reasons against are:
-fish are living too
-The environment (inefficiency of energy transfer between trophic levels)
-The idea of eating a dead animal is, quite frankly, gross

I know that eating fish is bad... but I keep thinking that I might be able to lose more weight if I go back to eating fish...
I'm just really worried I'll go back to fish, and the rational part of my brain knows it's bad, but still...
Do you guys have any advice or ideas?
Thanks, much appreciated,
Sarah

·
Banned
8,995 Posts
I'm not going to give you any advice, because, if I remember correctly, you weren't eating nearly enough and on the verge of/in the midst of an eating disorder when you were last around. I don't know enough to not cause any harm to someone in your situation, so I'll just say that it's good to see you back.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyLennyCleo View Post

I haven't been on in a while, I've been dealing with a lot of really difficult stuff in my life lately, but I'm turning to you guys because I really need help!

So, I've been a vegetarian for a year and a half now, and lately I've been tempted to go back to fish.

My reasons against are:
-fish are living too

I know that eating fish is bad... but I keep thinking that I might be able to lose more weight if I go back to eating fish...
I'm just really worried I'll go back to fish, and the rational part of my brain knows it's bad, but still...
Sarah
I strongly recommend reading Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer. The parts about overfishing and bycatch will put you off for life, we are literally destroying our oceans and killing everything in them. Even tuna and oysters are going extinct. There's one especially disturbing part where he asks you to imagine getting a plate of sushi, if you were to include all the animals that were killed for it it would have to be at least 5 feet across. Also fish can feel pain as much as a cow or a chicken can.

I've never heard any evidence to support that eating fish would help you lose weight anyway, I lost more weight cutting out eggs and dairy than I ever did when I used to eat tuna and salmon.

http://overfishing.org/

·
Registered
247 Posts
Quote:

My reasons against are:
-fish are living too

Sarah
Where are you on the weight loss scale?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp View Post

I'm not going to give you any advice, because, if I remember correctly, you weren't eating nearly enough and on the verge of/in the midst of an eating disorder when you were last around. I don't know enough to not cause any harm to someone in your situation, so I'll just say that it's good to see you back.
Good memory.
It's nice to see some familiar faces

Quote:
Originally Posted by keishari View Post

Where are you on the weight loss scale?
BMI of 23.3, I am well aware that that is within the normal range.
I'm asking why I should not eat fish, not asking what eating fish could do for me, though.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I never understood why people obsess about weight, what you should obsess about is your health, there are healthy overweight people, and unhealthy underweight people. You should care less about your weight and more about your health. Eating fish isn't going to make you healthier or thinner, exercise will make you healthier and thinner.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Quote:

BMI of 23.3, I am well aware that that is within the normal range.
Then why do you want to lose more?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by keishari View Post

Then why do you want to lose more?
I'd rather not get into that, that's not what I'm asking and it's a really complicated matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLines View Post

I never understood why people obsess about weight, what you should obsess about is your health, there are healthy overweight people, and unhealthy underweight people. You should care less about your weight and more about your health. Eating fish isn't going to make you healthier or thinner, exercise will make you healthier and thinner.
I didn't really mean this to be about weight/weight loss, but rather about concrete reasons I can remind myself of as to why eating fish=bad

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
If you want to eat them, eat them. If you don't, don't. The only reasons that matter are YOUR reasons.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Quote:

I didn't really mean this to be about weight/weight loss, but rather about concrete reasons I can remind myself of as to why eating fish=bad
Oh ok, well the only concrete reason I can think of is that a living creature would have lost it's life to feed you for one meal. When I look at my family members plates I imagine an animal being beating or shot, that's why I've never even considered eating meat.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:

I'd rather not get into that, that's not what I'm asking and it's a really complicated matter.

Check out this article proving fish can feel pain: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/2983045.stm

And consider that no fish gets a humane death. They are either pulled up with a net and suffocate, or people bash their heads against the boat or cut them up while still alive. Not appetizing

·
Registered
247 Posts
Quote:

I see... Don't wither away. Anyway, You could mostly get what fish would give you in other things. So you're not missing anything by not eating fish.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Check out this article proving fish can feel pain: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/2983045.stm

And consider that no fish gets a humane death. They are either pulled up with a net and suffocate, or people bash their heads against the boat or cut them up while still alive. Not appetizing
Awesome, thanks

Do you know if invertebrates can feel pain as well?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Awesome, thanks

Though, I suppose better safe than sorry...
also, fishing hurts other sea creatures...............
I think I just answered my own question.
Thanks for helping me work through this you guys, sorry if it seemed a little random

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:

Awesome, thanks

An invertebrate is just any animal without a backbone, so there's no single answer. Some definitely can, some are still up for debate, and some definitely can't. I don't think a sponge or an oyster can feel pain but invertebrates like squid, octopi, and cuttlefish have been found to not only be able to feel pain but they're also highly intelligent and you can teach them to do tricks.

I saw an article awhile back by a so called "vegan" who ate oysters and claimed that should be acceptable because they can't feel pain, but I think that's a little short sighted. There's still the environmental devastation we're causing through overfishing to think about, I don't really see the point of eating a species to extinction and throwing the ecosystem it's in out of wack because it doesn't have a nervous system.

You want to see something really scary? Check this out: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_818870.html

And this: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...efin-tuna.html

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Quote:

... I keep thinking that I might be able to lose more weight if I go back to eating fish...

Sarah
I'm not understanding. How would eating fish help you lose weight? ????

Fish are very high in protein. Probably the highest level of protein of any whole food you could eat, in terms of grams per dry weight. Any protein that is consumed, beyond the amount that is needed - needed to construct our own proteins, nucleic acids, and other nitrogenous compounds - is converted into carbohydrates, if they are needed, otherwise, you guessed it - they are converted into fat.

Dietary protein, and protein stored in the form of muscle mass, can be converted to carbohydrates and fats. Dietary fats, and fats stored in the form of fatty deposits, cannot be converted into protein. Nor dan carbohydrates be converted into protein.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I don't know why, maybe it's me being a sensitive Cancer (
), but I've always had a big fondness for fish and other sea creatures - my dad never ate them and in my whole life, I've maybe tried fish a total of three times. They're such beautiful, valuable creatures and are so vitally important for the environment that I think it's horrible to harm them. Are they a bit stupid? Sure! But so are babies and I would never harm either, because they have the right not to be in unnecessary pain.

Fish also are cruelly killed, ALWAYS. Often they suffocate or are smacked until they are dead. Suffocation is one of the most horrible ways to die!

Well, seeing that this thread is so fish-positive, have some awesome sea creatures:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B8qiqeDrI0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LICjRd46Yyo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygh1-ul6E94

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5DyBkYKqnM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I6s6rCMFVg

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
What's more important to you - being a few pounds thinner, or choosing to boycott an industry which causes suffering and massive environmental damage? That's a question, not an attack. I'm tired of being warned and having my posts deleted for "attacking" people. How can a question be an attack? This question serves a serious purpose. It's not about me or the person I'm questioning. It's about issues that affect us all - all of us, including the fish.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Eating invertebrates, whether they feel pain or not, it detrimental to the environment. Shrimp, for instance, and caught by a technique called trawling. Bottom trawling is when a net is pulled behind a boat (or several boats) and drug across the ocean floor. It caused large-scale damage to the sea bed and the organisms and plants that live there. This greatly impacts the food chain and harms higher lever organisms, even if you aren't actually eating them. Bottom trawling also stirs up sediment, making the water neat the sea bed very turbid. Certain contaminates, based on their chemistry, are prone to be attached to sediments. Stirring up these sediments helps expose more organisms to these contaminants.

ETA: Trawling is also a non-selective method, meaning it often catches other species (dophins, sea turtles, etc) in the process. This animals are can be hurt/killed in the process.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trawling

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottom_trawling

1 - 20 of 61 Posts