VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay well here's the thing. In my family (extended and immediate) we are used to exchanging thrift store gifts for eachother. It's never bothered any of us, in the end I think we all appreciate the gifts even more for it.

But this year, things are especially tight for s/o and I. So far I've done a few ceramic christmas ornaments. My sister for instance likes Reindeer, so I painted one for her tree.

I discovered that the cheap chocolate milk powder mix containers could be made into piggy-banks. The label peels off revealing plain cardboard that can be painted, and the inside is lined so it can be washed first. I'm going to make a "Retirement Fund" bank for him. I'll paint it and cover it in pictures of log cabins, hobby things that he does, beaches, etc. And then fill it with the small amount of Canadian Tire money we have laying around (Only about $2 worth, but because the majority is in 5 cent bills it looks like more).

So, if you have any creative Christmas idea's, please share! I'm at a loss, but thankfully I picked one small thing for each person so they at least have SOMETHING. Usually just a notepad or something as equally simple.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I picked up some decorative bakery bags at the dollar store 8 for a dollar and I'm baking some vegan sugar cookies in christmas shapes and coating them with coloured sugar to put in the bags. I'm going to add some other goodies if I can think of any. I have a very large extended family so I'm going homemade this year too.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
i'm making jewelry for my Mom, MIL, sister, SIL, and GMIL. I'm considering making a chain for dad's glasses (beaded with jet and wooden beads). my FIL is getting a book.

i have a ton of different kinds of beads--so i should be able to make them without buying any new beads.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I hope to send people color plates of my chars (not that this is going to help you if you are not an artist).

I guess my point is do something that is in your line of work already and thus more easily obtainable. I also did the thrift store gift thing last year.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
For more things to do check out craft projects listed on the Carol Duvall show page at HGTV.com. She has lots of different projects listed there. There is even a section for recycled craft projects.

·
Registered
441 Posts
i am canning and painting and making a lot of jewellry. canning hot sauces!

i used to always make the 'pancake in a jar' and those sort of things, but now i have severe food allergies and can't touch them. but those are good, too!

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I always make jewelry for the girls in my family....I've written stories (one for my Dad last year about his Mom who passed)...one year I wrote a story about how my brother used to always get socks from my grandma while she always handmade things for my sis and I (she didn't know what to make for boys and they always got socks). To go with this gift, I bought him a bag of socks. Last year I drew a portrait of my daughter and got a simple frame for it to go in. Several years I've gotten frames for pictures of her...to give to grandparents. One year I gave my SIL a ready to cook soup mix that I made (layered lentils, barley, a wheat alphabet noodle, and a vegetarian boullion cube). I've had people give me cookie dough mixes which I love....my mom used to make a good hot cocoa mix and give that out. I just take whatever talents I possess and use them for special holidays. I feel like the gift my own Mom loved the most of all the gifts I've given her was a story I gave her of a memory I had of growing up with her and all of the places she took us on a limited budget. I added pictures that I had my sister take out of one of our family photo albums...I scanned them and added them to my story, printed it out and put it in one of those shiny plastic folders. She LOVED it and showed it to everyone she knew. If you're looking for inspiration, try watching Little Women with Susan Serrandon....man they were poor as church mice, and still managed to be thankful for what they had...and to also take what they had and make something out of it.

Anyhoo....happy crafting everyone. I'll be getting busy on my projects very soon.

B

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
i'm doing lots of different kinds of crafts. i'm not designating anything for any particular person. i've just been making things and then i think about who it could go to.

glass magnets made out of the flat clear marbles. i already have the magnets done. i just need to decorate the outside of the altoid tin and then it will be done.

melted bead bowls, like these. Not the best picture and the flat one I am redoing. I don't know if I will make a bowl out of it or break it up and reuse the pieces.

i've been to the thrift stores a few times now. i found a few things for really cheap that i could paint. the horse went from this to this.

I also bought a plain wooden cat and painted it.

I just started to learn how to knit so I'm working on a few scarves that I think will look good enough to give to people.

I make jewelry - bracelets, necklaces, earrings, keychains, chains to hold your glasses around your neck.

I'm making my dad a chess book. I haven't executed the idea yet so I don't know if it will work. But I'm taking an old crappy book and gluing the pages together and then cutting out spots for the chess pieces to go. I have doubts that it will work, but I am going to try it anyway.

I'm doing things with record bowls, as well.

Making placemats out of record sleeves.

Bowls, coasters made out of paper. THey are coated so water won't damage them. I don't have any pictures of mine.

I recently started working with resin. You can make resin bracelets, pendants, coasters, magnets, suncatchers. All kinds of things you can do with this.

Make handmade cards. I'm thinking of trying to carve my own stamps to make cards. Or just make lots of your own stamps and give those as presents.

I have quite a few other projects going.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love the bead bowls! How do you go about doing that?

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
thanks
i enjoy doing it. i'm planning on buying some more beads and doing different designs and other shapes, too.

i first saw it being done here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=99668.0 after that, lots of people joined in and starting melting beads like crazy. if you do a search on that site for "melted bead" it'll come up with lots of threads. coasters, hanging art, bowls, dishes, lamp shades, sun catchers, jewelry, candle holders. all from melted beads.

for mine, i used the really cheap plastic pony beads. they can stink pretty bad so you want to turn fans on, open windows. they make pretty neat gifts, though!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts