VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i saw on the news the other night some clips some students have posted on you tube, teachers going nuts over things, yelling, throwing things,

i was amazed at the response, the teachers union said they want camara phones banned, so this cant happen, they were more concerned with protecting a teachers right to privacy.......... my question is

WHAT ABOUT THESE TEACHERS, is their behaviour being addressed??

isnt anyone concerned that a teacher is throwing a chair in a classroom??

concerned the teacher is yelling at the kids, swearing at the kids??

·
Registered
286 Posts
yeah i agree. A teacher at my school chocked a student once(the student was okay in the end but still) and also that same teacher sprayed pepper spray in students eyes. But that teacher still works there and everything. no punishment.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GothicCandle View Post

yeah i agree. A teacher at my school chocked a student once(the student was okay in the end but still) and also that same teacher sprayed pepper spray in students eyes. But that teacher still works there and everything. no punishment.
Are you serious?
That is one very abusive teacher. I can't believe he/she wasn't fired.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb_0810 View Post

Are you serious?
That is one very abusive teacher. I can't believe he/she wasn't fired.
yes im completely serious. no warning even, the principle just acted like it was fine. no punishment of any kind was given to the teacher at all. everyone in this town thinks she should be punished. but it was up to the principle and he thought different. idk why, there was plenty eye witnesses to what she had done.(around 60 for the pepper spray thing and about 20 for the chocking) the principle just happen to not be one of them.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Quote:

yes im completely serious. no warning even, the principle just acted like it was fine. no punishment of any kind was given to the teacher at all. everyone in this town thinks she should be punished. but it was up to the principle and he thought different. idk why, there was plenty eye witnesses to what she had done.(around 60 for the pepper spray thing and about 20 for the chocking) the principle just happen to not be one of them.
That's when it's time to go over the principle's head. Call the police.

--Fromper

·
Registered
791 Posts
I think that nearly every Korean student having a cell phone capable of taking digital photos and making little movies is one reason that corporal punishment is finally considered a problem here and teachers are actually held accountable for abusing students.

I am a teacher. And while I might be camera shy, that is mainly because I am not photogenic...that and the fact that my students are much shorter than I am so every shot of me tends to point directly up my nostrils. At my school, every classroom has a camera videotaping us and there is a screen in the main office where you can see at a glance what every teacher in every room is doing.

Doesn't bother me at all. I'm glad that it's there. If something like that helps protect children, it is certainly worth it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I am working on my bachelors in education right now. I think I would be welcome to being videotaped all day. I should be doing the job I am taught to do and someone should be able to check on that. When the principal comes into your room, the teacher knows this and may change his/her teaching practices for that period of time. Right now, I wish this were the norm as my high school child is currently on the receiving end of a bad science teacher.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Quote:

You forgot to say why these things happened. Was the student threatening the teacher, or another child? What was the situation? How old was the student?

·
Registered
797 Posts
I wonder how common these occurences of crazy teachers are. It seems everyone I talk to has had some bad (physical) experience with a teacher somewhere. I'm certainly NOT implying that all teachers are problems, I think bad parenting makes their job hell, quite frankly.

Regardless though, in high school my crazy English teacher backhanded me with a big thick grammar book. For talking. This was his THIRD offense physically abusing a student. Want to know what happened to him despite conferences & police reports? Nothing. That's BS, in my opinion.

The good teachers should be paid what they're worth & the bad teachers should be booted out. Of course, this is a fantasy.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahjayn1980 View Post

Don't you know that teachers are supposed to be able to take endless amounts of abuse, regardless?
That was sarcastic, right? A teacher can't defend him or herself from a threatening student?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Quote:

Also, I think you are totally ignoring what a camera would do to the kids. Do you think they want to be filmed all day? Do you think they will be able to take the many, many risks associated with learning if they are ON CAMERA all the time?
All the kids in the school know the exact location of each camera and they know that they are "on" at all times except when they are in the bathroom. This doesn't bother them in the least. When they first find out about it, sure, there is a lot of grinning, waving, and sticking their tongues out at the camera if they feel a little daring, but an hour later, they've forgotten that it exists.

The school's video camera is up on the ceiling and looks like a bubble hanging there. It's completely unobtrusive.

Now, if this school was like some others I've heard of....where the cameras are actually live webcams where any parent with internet access could log in and view it, then I'd feel differently because you can bet that Joon's mother would be calling the school all upset that I've spent extra time with Je-Woo and not with her son. Or that I called on Min-Soo and not Yoo-Bin or something like that.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena99 View Post

You forgot to say why these things happened. Was the student threatening the teacher, or another child? What was the situation? How old was the student?
In both cases the students did nothing wroung.

pepper spray:

Senior class skip day where some teachers take all the 12th graders on a class trip on the last day of school. They went to a lake. A group of students and a janiter were jokeing around and said they should trow the teacher in the lake. They were only jokeing around "hey wouldnt it be funny to trow her in?!" well she did not think it funny and sprayed everyone in the jokeing group with pepper spray. Why she had pepper spray with her on a class trip is anyones geuss.

chokeing:

again, a boy was jokeing around. He found the teachers missing earing on the ground and said "what will you give me to get this back?" he was jokeing around and was going to give it back anyway, however before he had the chance she had her hands around his neck.

that answer your qeustion?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Quote:

I dunno. I was thinking more about the kids that don't even like to silently read in front of other kids because they are afraid someone is "watching" them read. The insecurities of little ones, if not recognized and treated with healthy coping mechanisms, can spurn into large problems in adulthood, not to mention a feeling of "wasted childhood" I've heard described by many adults who had anxiety-ridden youths. I don't think it's a healthy environment for anyone to be "watched" all the time.

Additionally, what kind of message does it send about the value of teachers as professionals or administrators as leaders if we are watched on security tape like prisoners? It assumes, to some degree, that teachers are untrustworthy people. I've worked hard to earn my trust and my value as a teacher. You'd loose a lot of good teachers, IMO, by taping them and replace them with folks who might need to be taped.
When I was a kid, I was always really uptight about God watching every move I made. Not because I was being bad, just because I didn't like being watched. And I hated and still hate being stared at while I do something. I didn't have cameras watching me, but I'm pretty sure it would have been a huge distraction if there were.

On the original topic, though, I don't see anything wrong with a student having a camera and filming a teacher who is out of control. If they sat there filming all the time that would be a problem, but pulling out a camera phone and taking a video of a teacher beating a student seems like a legitimate use of technology.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Perhaps our kids don't mind the camera because they are not constantly reminded of it. It's just there, like the white board. It never moves, it doesn't have blinking lights, and it is completely silent. The kids do not pay any attention to it at all. I have NEVER, not even once, pointed to the camera and told them that they better behave themselves because they are on camera. I ignore it completely. So do they. The only time I even remember that it is there is when I'm doing something like hanging decorations from the ceiling and suddenly find myself right in front of it, with my nose practically touching it. And yeah, then I pull my head back a bit and stick out my tongue.

Well, and once when I forgot that it was in every room and I was changing my clothes for the PE class....and suddenly realized, mid-change, that there was likely a camera in the room...slowly looked up at the ceiling and yep, there it was. Finished changing VERY quickly and now I change in the copy machine room which doesn't have a camera (though it does have a window). I just have my kids guard the hallway while I'm changing and not let anyone walk by the window.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Quote:

In both cases the students did nothing wrong.

pepper spray:

Senior class skip day where some teachers take all the 12th graders on a class trip on the last day of school. They went to a lake. A group of students and a janitor were joking around and said they should trow the teacher in the lake. They were only joking around "hey wouldn't it be funny to trow her in?!" well she did not think it funny and sprayed everyone in the joking group with pepper spray. Why she had pepper spray with her on a class trip is anyones guess.

choking:

again, a boy was joking around. He found the teachers missing earing on the ground and said "what will you give me to get this back?" he was joking around and was going to give it back anyway, however before he had the chance she had her hands around his neck.

that answer your question?
Yup, thanks. I guess it depends on how you define joking. If there were a bunch of kids talking about throwing me in a lake, even if they were laughing about it (actually, especially if they were laughing about it), I'd be getting ready to defend myself. Pepper spray is a little weird for that situation.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Quote:

Um, I thought I clarified that with the rest of my post, but I guess not. Yes, it was sarcasm. Damn you, non-emotive internet!!!!
Thanks.
I got confused because you followed that with talking about how a bio teacher was suspended for defending himself.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I wouldn't be able to teach if I were being videotaped. I am completely comfortable with my students, but when people come in to watch me (principals, department heads, superintendents, parents -- all of whom I totally welcome) I start pronouncing things wrong or losing my train of thought. It sucks, but it's all part of just being nervous, and I don't think i'd be able to function if I were feeling like I were on stage all the time.

On the flip side, it would protect both me and my students from any false accusations, and that's cool. I just don't think I could handle it personally.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts