VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am a newbie here so hellot o everyone i go instrested cause i sure would love to swap hair dye ideas and such..

I always have loved blue and decided to try special effects it works but dosen't last as much and i notice dye blue its harder to keep on when washiung it just keeps on comming out, and it feels like such of wast of money of the special effects for it to wash off

I have been sticking to the new Blue hair product called Splat also and i love it plus it stain even worse than any other product i'v treid, the only place i seem to only find it at is at Walgreens
is $10. something like 11 bucks..

Trouble though i can't find a shamppo at all to go with blue hair herbal ennced has been horrible to me since my old man uses it And i dread useing it cause it draibs out my blue

I live out her in Calfornia , Sabernardino but I hope everyone is able to find this product in a Walgreens Now only have in 2 colors red and blue envy ,

Iwant to try the red so bad but I've been sticking oout the blue as long as I can , damn i love both colors though

I wonder how we can get the makers to come out with more wild color chocies :p

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hi Jetta! I recently dyed my hair (well, sections of my hair) blue and LOVE it too! I've been using RAW (from Hot Topic) as the dye. It only 'took' to the highlighted parts of my hair (my natural mousey brown color is too dark to show it off), but that's fine by me. For the first week after dying, I washed my hair only every other day, and only in cold water. That was rather unpleasant (I'm a shower-user) but worth it, cause I didn't lose any color at all. After the first week, I still usually only wash every other day (non-washed day I put my hair up, so it doesn't look flat) and even though I'm back to using hot water again (hurrah!) the color hasn't faded to green or run into the rest of my blonde.

I think I'm going to try RAW's purple next.
Oh, and I've been using Redkin hair products, but only 'cause I have gi-normous bottles left. I'm switching to a more earth/animal friendly company once my current stuff is gone.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
my hairs currently stargazer magenta.

I found it washed out quite quick, then i found an amazing shampoo.

its called "naked" and by er, naked. its 97% natural ingredients + animal/testing freee. it doesnt have that "lather" caused by chemicals so i find it barely washes the colour out.

this is england i have no idea if its around anywhere else... so i guess id suggest a natural shampoo?

http://www.boots.com/shop/product_de...tionid=1037340

expensive, but i got a load on 3 for 2 hehee

·
Registered
524 Posts
My hair's blonde. I've always wanted to dye it, but I'm afraid it will stain my natural color, and I don't want to dye it fake-blonde... so kudos to all who are brave enough to do crazy hair things!

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
The extreme colors aren't going to stay in very long, they're meant to wash out faster, it's just the way they're made. If you want blue or magenta hair and wash your hair traditionally (every day, warm water) you usually have to suck it up and re-dye every 10 days or so...

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I've been dying my hair for the past few years, with primarily Manic Panic blues. The things I've found:

1) Experiment. Special Effects lasts quite a while in my hair, but costs twice as much if I'm getting it in a store locally. However, my favorite Manic Panic shade is half the price and with a few of my techniques, lasts pretty much the same amount of time. I've never used splat, however, so I can't vouch for it's quality.

2) Wash your hair once a week-- even then, make sure it's diluted out very much. It will be gross the first week or so, but it's much better for your scalp. I still rinse my hair every three days or so with a little bit of water.

3) Wash and rinse your hair in only cold water!

4) Tint your shampoos and conditioners. I don't even have to do touchups when I use a heavily tinted conditioner and shampoo. I don't measure anything, just enough to make it nice and dark- similar to the dye in the bottle. A little goes a long way, and it kept my blue true and pretty. This is ONLY able to be done if the dye is stable when mixed-- if you have to mix developer and color together, this is a no no because the mixture will react and you'll be dealing with an exploded bottle and conditioner and dye all over. So, this is only good for mixing vegetable based dyes without developer.

5) Make sure that your hair is bleached enough. More blues have gone green because they weren't bleached enough-- and semipermanent dyes need to have at least slightly damaged hair to take correctly- not super damaged, but damaged to a point. See pics at bottom of post to see examples

6) Use UV protecting shampoos. And, NEVER EVER use two in one shampoo/conditioners- I feel they strip out color even faster- it's best to leave shampoo on for only a few seconds and then leave the conditioner on for several minutes, especially when it's tinted.

7) To clean up- use face wash. I use acne rinse with salicylic acid in it and it cleans better than bleach. Scouring powders in a thick paste and elbow grease also do the trick. Jerome Russel makes a product for their Punky Colors line called 'Punk Off' which will also do it, but I've never used it.

Your best bet is to go to a beauty supply shop like Sally Beauty Supply. That's going to have the best selection of shampoos and conditioner, and it's also where I get my Manic Panic dye.

SFX Fishbowl

Bleached- badly

example one

example two

Final Product--

day one

a few weeks later, no touch ups or tinted conditioner

Manic Panic After Midnight Blue/Red Passion

Bleached- it was much too weak and my hair went orange, but I tried it anyway: the pic is not the exact shade of my hair when it was dyed, I managed to get it slightly lighter, but that's how it was- patchy and uneven.

example one

Final Product:

Outdoors-first day

The mouse and I.. this was over a month later using my tinted shampoo

·
Registered
0 Posts
Manic Panic amplified formula. Last for months for me. My hair has been blue since mid october. It's vegan, too! Make sure you get the amplified!

·
Registered
2 Posts
does any1 know if RAW hair dye is avalible in the uk?or is there a shop that sell it?this shop hopefully will b in the south west or a website i no about www.beeunique.co.uk and there good but i really want to try demi-permentant hair dye and beeunique don't sell this.also any gd tips at keeping hair dye in i already use cold water and wash it once a week so any other tips?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOFcowgirl View Post

My hair's blonde. I've always wanted to dye it, but I'm afraid it will stain my natural color, and I don't want to dye it fake-blonde... so kudos to all who are brave enough to do crazy hair things!
i have bleeched white hair and when i get rid of the colour it always goes back 4 me.i wash my hair in cold water and once a week and when i want a change(every 2 weeks-ish) i wash it in warm water(my treat b4 having 2 look stupid with hair dye on my head all evening) i keep washing till i'm back 2 the bleeched colour.thats personal experience but that what happens 4 me

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I use Manic Panic as well. I also use something else but I forget the name. I have to bleach the CRAP out of my hair for dye to hold, so I only color a small part of my hair.

Katt pretty much covered it all! And really, everyone's hair is different. Damaged hair can effect the way color stays, too.

11,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyorerockssock View Post

does any1 know if RAW hair dye is avalible in the uk?or is there a shop that sell it?this shop hopefully will b in the south west or a website i no about www.beeunique.co.uk and there good but i really want to try demi-permentant hair dye and beeunique don't sell this.also any gd tips at keeping hair dye in i already use cold water and wash it once a week so any other tips?
hot topic ships internationally. you could order it from them?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

thats a good job.
Thank you.

It has been years since I had dyed hair too. I used to do it all the time for friends in high school and to myself. My hair was a rainbow for almost a year. The upkeep on that was out of control... I was always dying my hair.

11,550 Posts
i'm jealous. i've always wanted to bleach all of my hair and dye it insane colours but i know from doing coloured streaks that the upkeep on a whole head would drive me insane.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

i'm jealous. i've always wanted to bleach all of my hair and dye it insane colours but i know from doing coloured streaks that the upkeep on a whole head would drive me insane.
The upkeep is time consuming, but for her hair... I only touch it up once a month. The blue fades more quickly than the pink. Atomic Pink stays crazy bright for such a long period of time. Her whole head was atomic pink and I just dyed her out growth blue and blended it into the pink.

If you really want to color your whole head... do it! I really wish I had the ability to dye my hair crazy colors again... the corporate world frowns upon it though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.