VeggieBoards banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, folks. I need some guidance. I've been a vegan since December with no issues till now. I went vegan for the fluffy animals(and the not fluffy ones!) and expected it to be harder than it was. It wasn't hard. I felt miles better, and I think I was really sensitive to dairy, or eggs, but probably dairy.

I was vegetarian for four years a couple years back and did not really crave meat as such. I backslid because I knew I was hypocritical and I didn't think I could ever give up dairy or eggs. (Gorsh!) I tried going vegan but I didn't know what I was doing and let all the overspiced vegan food at my poor, broken belly. That was not a fit.

Anyway, I don't think I'd be craving meat if I weren't just goddamn hungry. HUNGRY. Hungry hungry hippo. I am ridiculously broke(I think after three years of living on the edge, I may need to start saying "poor") and now I have no license and no car, either. So, when I do have money, I am frequently using it to bring food to me or me to food. Which means less food.

I also have medical problems which make cooking from scratch just exhausting. Although I try. Cooking does tend to work better when you are like "DON'T WASTE THE FOOD.".

I eat about a meal a day, two if I'm lucky, and let me be frank: I am really, really tired of barbecue sauce on beans and/or rice, and I am also tired of peanut butter sandwiches. Although I am grateful for them! Yes.

Anyway, even though I think meat is a goddamn horrorshow, and dairy is disgusting and eggs are chicken periods, the hunger is like, "NOT SO BAD. I WOULD EAT IT. LAY IT BEFORE ME." And I'm sure my roommates, who are hunters, would be highly amused to feed me meat.

I really just need a hug and to know that I'm going to have a full belly that's not beans and peanut butter at some point. :(

Anybody have any thoughts? Been through anything similar?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Pasta with tomato sauce and veggies?

·
Part-Time Russian
181 Posts
I'm broke too mate. Have you considered potatoes? So versatile.... Been using them in every thing.

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
Wouldn't eating meat make everything you say is problematic far worse?
1: meat is expensive
2: meat is harder to prepare- unless you mean fast food

Beans - dried are cheaper, but canned are cheap
Lentils, noodles, frozen veggies-I let frozen veggies thaw a bit and stir fry
Sauces can be quickly made with veggie broths or sauteed mushroom with a couple tablespoons of cornstarch in cold water. Add whatever condiments you have on hand
Pre made piecrust - spread one crust on a cookie sheet, spread beans and thawed frozen veggies on half. spoon sauce or Campbells mushroom gravy on top, fold and bake.
Lentil soup is very easy

I'm sure people here will recommend slow cookers, and that does sound like it could work for you

Do you get food from food pantries, or have any assistence?

What kinds of food in particular are you craving?
What stores do you have access to?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Humans are programmed to survive just like any other animal. The longer you go without food the better everything looks. I know that after a few days without eating almost everything looks good to eat to me, but it always goes away once I do eat something.

I know you said you would rather not cook, but what about very simple things like oatmeal? Essentially you just need to throw them in some water on low heat and let them cook. Oatmeal is also extremely cheap to make.

Also if you can find canned tomatoes on sale those can be cheap as well(or maybe you live somewhere where they're not expensive?) You already make beans so if you wanted you can throw in a can of tomatoes and add some garlic, chilli powder, cumin, and maybe a couple other things if you want for a chilli.

Also with the tomatoes you can make pasta which is also another easy one.

If you're not up for cooking perhaps you could just buy some bulk items like raisins, peanuts, sunflower seeds, etc and mix them up into a sort of trail mix. Or frozen blueberries....they're super delicious.

·
Banned
114 Posts
OP two meals - Stir fry and Pasta and tomato sauce.

Purple cabbage could be used in both which is regarded as being one of the best nutrition bangs-for-buck.
Beans - there's more than one type and they are cheap, combined with rice or wholewheat pasta you are laughing.
Frozen spinach - once again a great bang for buck item and being frozen it won't go bad when you can't be bothered with it.
Onions/garlic - both of these boost the absorption of vitamins/minerals/nutrition from everything else while being great for you on their own.
Bell peppers - vitamin c and can be used in everything, try and use the yellow/orange ones more than the green/red favs.
Button mushrooms - good in both and boost your immune system for up to 2 weeks per serving while being the best source for a few other things.
Frozen pea's - easy hassle free addition and work well in fried rice.
Tinned tomato's - pasta needs sauce and they keep, everyone knows tomatoes are great for you, ignore the BPA concerns you're broke and the negatives are outweighed by the positives.
Tomato puree - pasta needs sauce, try and find one that is not filled with undesirable additives but should be cheap regardless.
Soy sauce/chinese 5-spice - two components that make chinese stir frys better, get the dark normal salt version of soy and just water it down when using it.
Italian herbs mix or basil/oregano etc - whatever suits budget best pasta sauce needs flavour.
Whole wheat stir fry noodles - option to rice.
Brown basmati rice - option to noodles.
Wholewheat penne/fusilli/conchiglie/tortellini - pasta needs pasta.
wholewheat spaghetti etc - pasta alternative, allows to make bolognese.
Carrot/celery/lasagne sheets - combined with previous mentioned and you have a fashioned lasagne.

The list I gave is just pointers, adapt to suit, no reason you couldn't go for pre-made sauces if it's cheaper/more-helpful to you. The message though is stir fry and tomato pasta - easy, cheap, nutritious.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Actually, most vegan foods are generally less expensive than meats, fish, and many dairy foods (not sure about eggs- it's been a long time since I bought any). Unfortunately, eating out is also expensive. Although I feel your pain (I don't like to fuss in the kitchen either), you'll eventually have to be a reasonably competent cook.

Example: I just got back from my local food co-op; they're not strictly vegetarian, but as you might suppose, have a LOT of vegan stuff you won't find at a more conventional supermarket. I bought 20 pounds of quick-cooking organic rolled oats at $1.30 per pound (they were on sale- SCORE!!!!); they'll last me more than a month, even with the way I eat them. I also bought some instant hummus mix; it was either $4 or $5 a pound and I got about 2 pounds of it. Convenience foods tend to be expensive, but even so, it's probably less expensive than a restaurant or meat/fish/cheese/etc.

I also cook a lot of things I like in large amounts on days when I have extra time, freeze a lot of it in batches, and thaw some out when I'm ready to eat it. (I should put this in my signature- I'm always recommending it... :D)

There's nothing wrong with vegan beans and barbecue sauce, but anybody would get tired of them. What are some other things you might like? You could always experiment with small, inexpensive amounts of recipes and new foods, and when you find things you like, include them in your meal plans more often.

Hpe this helps...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hahaha, it is so funny, I literally remembered I had some pasta in the back of the cupboard and had pasta and veggies in tomato sauce for dinner! I really appreciate your suggestions, you all are so great!

I have been slow-microwaving oatmeal as one of my go to meals with chia and flaxseeds. I'm about out of flaxseed which is unfortunate. It's cheap at Walmart, but... yeah. There is no knowing the next time I'll be going to the store. :/ Right now I have 0 cash and no way to get anywhere.

I have no assistance because I was moving around too much, due to abuse and my old roommate getting evicted. The place I'm living now is about 45 minutes and a toll away from most of my friends, who would probably help if they had time to get out here. I do work from home, fortunately, but I only make money when we make sales, and even then my boss is cheap and takes his sweet time paying me. I could really stand a new job.

I actually haven't given any thought to what kind of meat I would eat or whether it would solve my problems. Just pictures of steaks or whatever gross thing make my stomach rumble instead of turn and it makes me feel like I'm failing as a vegan. I also stopped taking my supplements when I ran out for obvious reasons.

On the upside, I am hoping to move to be with my fiance sometime soon, and I know he'll feed me like it's going out of style. To think I used to be the one to feed everyone.

On the upside, the dog has never lacked for food. Dear sweet love.

WHAT AM I DOING I COULD BE EATING DOG HAIR

1 - 8 of 8 Posts