VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured this area was the best place to stick this thread. However, if I'm in the wrong, please put it in the right place.

My concern is about my joints cracking more than usual. My joints didn't used to crack this much earlier in the year. I notice that if I stay in one position for too long, my hips crack and my elbows crack. If I move my legs in certain ways, turning or getting up, my hip cracks. Also, my elbows crack if I move my arms up too high while using an exercise machine.

I'll be twenty-five next month, I've been following a semi-healthy vegetarian diet for 6 months, and I exercise for 30 minutes/3x week. I think I just need to move around more. However, I don't know if my diet has anything to do with this cracking. Could a lack of calcium and other minerals cause more prevalent cracking? I drink soy milk and eat vegetables.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i've been having the same problem. i've been wondering if it's a lack of joint lubrication, i'm not sure what would cause that other than maybe dehydration. i was considering going to a chiropractor to see what they can tell me

·
Registered
904 Posts
My joints crack all the time (sometimes I do it to annoy people but that's another topic), here's a link to some of the more common reasons for joint cracking or popping. joints popping

Biggest concern when it comes to that is whether it hurts when your joints crack.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaile View Post

i've been having the same problem. i've been wondering if it's a lack of joint lubrication, i'm not sure what would cause that other than maybe dehydration. i was considering going to a chiropractor to see what they can tell me
Dehydration's a thought. I don't know if it'd be the answer for me, though. I usually drink water throughout the day.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
It probably isn't a lack in nutrients. It could very likely be that you need to build more strength in the core of your body. If you're exercising your legs but nothing else, perhaps the strength of your legs isn't on par with your core/hips and causes some slight pulling/rubbing on the cartilage in your joints.

But I'm completely guessing.

Maybe it's this: http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/othe...nappinghip.htm

If you're really worried, you should go to a doctor.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Joints crack under totally normal conditions as well as in conditions like arthritis or osteoarthritis. The phenomenon itself is harmless.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I swear my problem with cracking joints is getting worse or I've just been noticing it more because I hate the cracking sounds. My body makes those sounds especially when I get out of bed in the morning.

I realized that I made the first post above quite a while ago. I've been following a semi-healthy diet for over a year now. For exercise, I walk at a fast pace on the treadmill for an hour about four days a week. I also work out on the weight machines three times a week. I also drink a lot of water during the day and I'm wondering if practicing yoga will help with my problems.

I've noticed a new problem and I think it might have something to do with my joints cracking. I sit at a computer for most of the day for both of my jobs. When I've been sitting for a while, I remind myself that I need to get up and my left leg feels tight. I end up moving slowly and my leg cracks if I move at a normal pace. It drives me nuts because I didn't use to have this problem. I know I should move around more at work but my leg feels tight even after sitting for only twenty minutes. The same thing occurs when I've been lying in bed for a while.

I've now gotten to the point where I think going to the doctor isn't a bad idea. The problem is that I don't have health insurance. I have very little money in savings so I want to make sure I'm seeing the right doctor for this problem.

·
3,936 Posts
I read, a few years ago, that cracking is caused by little bubbles forming in the lubrication fluid. That must be bubbles of the gaseous version of the lubricant, I suppose; forming very quickly due(I presume) to negative pressure.

Maybe the negative pressure is due to the shape of the bones in the joint, when the joint flexes, but this is just my guess.

my joints occasionally crack, but I don't mind the feeling.

eta: and in case you are worried, I am pretty sure that when the lubricant pressure returns to normal, the gas, that is the bubble, returns to liquid and the bubble collapses leaving just liquid lubricant.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
cracking is normal, yes, but to suddenly go from "never cracks" to "cracks every time i move" is probably not normal.

like i said, i was having a similar problem, and i did start going to the chiropractor and i've noticed a major improvement. not only are the adjustment improving my joints (if your spine is misaligned other parts of your body will be thrown out of whack hence why my knees and hips were so bad), but it's also made me more aware of my posture. now that everything is where it should be, if i sit or stand incorrectly it's actually uncomfortable as opposed to how it was before which was that i was only comfortable when slouching and correct posture was very akward.

i definately recommend seeing a (good) chiro. i know there are mixed feelings and reviews about them but it's really been a godsend to me.

also when i asked the chiro about my concerns and that my mom is likely going to have to have her knees replaces in the next few years due to cartiledge loss (and she started out just with stiffness and cracking like i was getting) she was also able to recommend supplements that would help prevent future problems and cutting back on certain foods. in her office there is also a nutritionist who works especially with "different" diets/lifestyles, she is all about whole and raw foods. they've been trying to get me to go do some sessions with her, she will even take you grocery shopping and explain labels and show you what you are doing wrong etc. i just haven't been able to afford it yet but i plan to do this sometime. you track everything you eat for a week before you go and then they calculate what nutrients you are missing or getting too much of and how it can affect your overall health.

the reason i mention that is because i only started having joint problems when i lost weight. i became underweight (by accident not an ED or anything). and now that i'm back to a healthy weight they were still bothering me until i started at the chiro. i was really scared that it was because i was missing nutrients or because the sudden weightloss caused some loss of bone density or cartiledge or lubricant or something. so i do still want to have my diet analyzed even though my joints aren't bothering me anymore, there still may be underlying damage that could come back to bite me in later years if i don't start eating healthier now.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I have a problem with my big toe, it clicks all the time, several times in a row, it also feels very stiff. It's been going on for about 4/5 years since I injured it whilst gardening. I got an X ray done a few weeks ago, and will find out tomorrow. I'm guessing it's arthritis but I could be wrong. I suggest getting a doctors appointment before it gets any worst, as mine has slowly gotten worst to the point where I've had to start taking painkillers.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Ok, just got back looks like it is arthritis, so really just at least try and get an X ray done. I'm going to start my own thread so I don't take over yours.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.