VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you could live the rest of your life without having to work to earn your income, could you live a happy life? Or would you feel like your life had no purpose?

Could you get by on just reading, watching TV/movies/other entertainment, traveling, etc. and not being "productive?"

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I could go without having a job if I were traveling, but not if just sitting around the house. My husband can't wait to retire ( he's only 26) he waants to sit on his butt and drink beer and take naps.

·
Registered
278 Posts
There are ways I could be "productive", in the sense you're implying, without having a job. There are endless volunteer possibilities. Also, who knows what creative juices would flow if they weren't stiffled in an office 40 hours a week.

I would LOVE to not HAVE to work. Even working part-time would be a blessing.

My dream is to have a little portion of my in-laws land (they have quite a few acres in NC) to build a house on. Then, enjoy the small town life and see what charities and creative pursuits happen. A girl can dream.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
A girl can certainly dream as can a man... What are we waiting for

lets be creative!!...

My way of being creative is pretending I don't have a life, (actually

in reterospect that should not be too difficult).
What the hell is

work anyway???

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by veganchick

There are ways I could be "productive", in the sense you're implying, without having a job. There are endless volunteer possibilities. Also, who knows what creative juices would flow if they weren't stiffled in an office 40 hours a week.

I would LOVE to not HAVE to work. Even working part-time would be a blessing.

My dream is to have a little portion of my in-laws land (they have quite a few acres in NC) to build a house on. Then, enjoy the small town life and see what charities and creative pursuits happen. A girl can dream.
I'd definitlky do volunteer stuff too. Maybe take more pics with my camera.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hear about people who retire and then die because they weren't feeling productive. Were they insane?

Also, I know a woman who could retire from teaching and get full pension, but she won't (and she complains about the job all the time--I think she's just crazy!). She has told me that when she finally does retire in ayear or two, she will work as a real estate agent full time (and she doesn't need the money,she's loaded). Psycho!

·
Registered
0 Posts
i havent had a job for more then a week in six months. it (*#$)(#*&$ sucks and i am going crazy and feel like total **** bcuase of it. BUT i got an interview today ! w000h000, hope that pans out. sept i dont know where this guy if phoning from. stad ent. i dont even remember applying at a stad ent.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I'm not sure about that. I complain when I work because I am working too much. But I complain when I have a couple of days off becasue I feel like a lug sitting around the house. I guess it depends on what you are doing. If I have a copule of weeks off and go backbacking I always feel great. If I have a couple of weeks off and stick around the house, I get depressed. I think it depends on what you plan on doing with your life without a job.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Myself personally - I would prefer to have a job. I remember right after I finished grad school and didn't have a job yet - I felt like the biggest loser. I need the structure that comes with having a job - if I have too much open space in my day, I go crazy. My job gives me a sense of purpose and accomplishment and if nothing else, a reason to get out of bed each day. I get to interact with my two great co-workers and I never know what the day is going to bring. In fact I am nervous because I will be leaving this job soon (in June) and I hope it doesn't take me long to find something else.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I'm glad to see I'm not the only unemployed person. I haven't worked since March 1 and have been getting EI (employment insurance).

It's great to not work, if you have money. I have been living with my parents, so no rent, and now I'm on vacation in California. So that's good.

however, the money runs out. That's the only reason I want to work.

If I lived somewhere fun, then I'd love to be unemployed all the time and I'd become a naturalist. however, being unemployed in Miami Manitoba totally blows.

My mom is a teacher and she is counting down the days (3 more years) to retirement.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I would love to never have to have a job in the traditional sense (I don't want to just be idle though). I would find many things more fufillign than doing what is commonly thought of as a job.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I need to work... I thrive on the stress.

As a teacher I don't necessarily *have* to work in the summer, but I do. Last summer I ended up with only one week off. I do easier work in the summers, though -- not so much on the planning.

If I'm not stressed out about something, I stop functioning. I do enjoy a two week vacation now and then, though.

Mskedi

1 - 20 of 88 Posts