VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im not sure if this is the right place for this question but anyways...

My school is entering a drama competition in a couple weeks and we are having trouble finding costumes. Finally today the director found me my costume...a leather hat and jacket...needless to say I am not comfortable with this at all...I'm pretty sure I could sew a hat that would work just as well...and probally find a different jacket, but everyone in the play loves the stuff the director picked out.

so, should I "take one for the team"? I dont really want to explain to everyone why I dont want to wear it, but most of all, the thought of wearing it makes me feel ill...

Advice would be appreciated! thx

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
that you should wear something that makes you feel uncomfortable. Not only would it be a violation of your personal ethics, but if you were up on stage, feeling weird about wearing the leather, it might affect your performance, and that wouldn't be fun.

I can also understand not wanting to be drawn into a debate about your feelings, though...so maybe you could approach the director privately, one-on-one, and explain that the costume doesn't jive with your personal ethics, but you'd love to find something similar in pleather or another non-animal material. Put it in a really positive light...maybe you could let him/her know that if you are feeling really comfortable in your non-animal gear, you think you'll be more relaxed and comfortable on stage.

Good luck. ^_^

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
If you can purchase some pleather and some sewing patterns before you go talk to your director, these might be useful persuasion aids. Let him/her know that you very much want to be a contributor to the good of the team, but you won't compromise your beliefs to do it. If you already have sewing expertise or hav someone lined up to make the costume for you, so much the better!

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Alison,

Do you want me to come over tell you funny stories while you eat breakfast to relax you before you go in and talk with your director?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts