VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering how i could veganize this southern cornbread recipe. any suggestions?

2 cups yellow cornmeal

1 TBS sugar

2 eggs

2 TBS cooking oil (or bacon grease)

1 ½ cup milk

3 TBS butter (or margarine) - goes in the cast iron pan and not in the batter

i notice most vegan cornbread recipes call for unbleached flour as well, is this necessary? i'm trying to make a not-so sweet, gluten free, southern style cornbread.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Try a bit of applesauce instead of the eggs, perhaps.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Use Ener-G egg replacer for the eggs, as per instructions.

Use Earth Balance or another veg margarine.

Use soy, rice, almond etc. milk for the milk (I would probably use vanilla flavored for the extra sweetness, but you say that you don't want something sweet).

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I also use a tablespoon or two of tofutti better than sour cream, the non-hydrogenated one. Makes the best cornbread!

Oh yeah, I have also used a little ground flaxseed in place of the egg. It, too, works pretty well.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Pillows View Post

i was wondering how i could veganize this southern cornbread recipe. any suggestions?

2 cups yellow cornmeal

1 TBS sugar

2 eggs

2 TBS cooking oil (or bacon grease)

1 ½ cup milk

3 TBS butter (or margarine) - goes in the cast iron pan and not in the batter

i notice most vegan cornbread recipes call for unbleached flour as well, is this necessary? i'm trying to make a not-so sweet, gluten free, southern style cornbread.
I make vegan cornbread all the time...

Sub 2 tbsp ground flaxseeds + 6 tbsp water (let soak for 15-20 min) for the eggs

Sub rice/soy milk for the milk

Sub earth balance for the butter

The recipe I use calls for both white flour and cornmeal, and I use ww pastry flour or spelt flour in place of the white.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The cornbread I grew up on is gluten free. We use no flour, only white self-rising cornmeal, which is not all that easy to find. It's some kind of regional variation on Southern-style cornbread. (It's made in a skillet and has very little sugar.) I'm from southern Indiana, but my grandmother is from Arkansas, so I'm not really sure where our cornbread recipe originates.

I've had fairly good success veganizing the cornbread with the flax-seed substitution, but of course the flax seed adds a bit of a nutty flavor. Also, I think it comes out crisper, but I'm not sure if that's due to the soymilk or the flax. I think I need to play around with it more to make it more moist. My husband actually prefers it that way, but naturally I want it to be more like what I grew up with. Cornbread is one of my favorite foods, and I'm very particular about it.

I generally just use canola oil.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what can i use in place of sugar? i'm trying to make an uber healthy cornbread, but because i omitted the sugar it had absolutely no flavor.

otherwise the texture came out great. thanks for the tips y'all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts