VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I was wondering if anyone knows how to make that corn beef stew without the meat but still give it a good flavor (i really just like the cabbage and spuds lol ^_^)

dank you

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
I made this last years and it was delicious. I added cabbage and used store bought veg sausage but you could leave it out if you prefer.

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2008/03...-sausages.html

Here's a couple that sound promising. The spices look interesting. I may give this one a try:

http://www.theveganrd.com/2009/03/ve...0%99s-day.html

one more:http://www.lapuremama.com/2011/03/ve...d-cabbage.html

I'm too lazy to bother with making the homemade "corned beef", but I'm sure it will just as tasty if you add a vegan beef flavored cube into the mix.

Hope this helps. Now I'm hungry!

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
I'd like to get a packet of the spices they put in with corned beef.
I made seitan with a teaspoon of ground fennel, thyme, sage, and garlic and that was the closest I got.
Corned beef is a taste I miss.

Field Roast apple and sage sausage is wonderful for dishes like cabbage and onions!

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVskier View Post

thanks for the recipes! The first one looks good I think ill make that one
You're welcome. Hope you enjoy.

Silva, I agree. Apple and sage is just made for cabbage and onions!

·
Registered
3 Posts
As my tastes have changed boiled cabbage (usually without the starchy potatoes) tastes delicious to me. I will probably have some potatoes to celebrate the fact that my ancestors came here a hundred and fifty years ago to escape the potato famine. I might also make some whole wheat Irish soda bread.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole94580 View Post

As my tastes have changed boiled cabbage (usually without the starchy potatoes) tastes delicious to me. I will probably have some potatoes to celebrate the fact that my ancestors came here a hundred and fifty years ago to escape the potato famine. I might also make some whole wheat Irish soda bread.
I agree. Boiled cabbage is very tasty.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
ahhhhhh! Someone gave me two recipes for corned seitan, and both called for allspice and ground cloves!
I knew better- those belong in curries, baked goods, and chai tea-not seitan! I made it anyway, and was right.
Spices to add to seitan for corned beef flavor-IMO- are:

Ground mustard
Fennel or caraway seeds, ground or whole
Garlic
Crushed juniper berries, just like 4 or 5 (first time i had them, I liked them a lot)
a little thyme
Couple drops liquid smoke
Use NO Beef boullion for broth

I bake mine instead of simmering

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

ahhhhhh! Someone gave me two recipes for corned seitan, and both called for allspice and ground cloves!
I knew better- those belong in curries, baked goods, and chai tea-not seitan! I made it anyway, and was right.
Spices to add to seitan for corned beef flavor-IMO- are:

Ground mustard
Fennel or caraway seeds, ground or whole
Garlic
Crushed juniper berries, just like 4 or 5 (first time i had them, I liked them a lot)
a little thyme
Couple drops liquid smoke
Use NO Beef boullion for broth

I bake mine instead of simmering
So, just add the spices,and how much broth? Cover and bake for about how long?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I made this a few days ago and enjoyed it. http://www.meettheshannons.net/2011/...beef-less.html
It uses Gardein Beef-less tips. It didn't specify whether they should be frozen or defrosted...I used frozen and it didn't soak up the marinade as much as I would have liked. It also states 3 tsp Braggs in the ingredients list but in the directions it refers to it as tablespoons.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I suppose it's a bit past St Pat's Day to reply to this thread, but yes, cinnamon and allspice can go in this. They are part of a standard pickling spice mix, along with bay, peppercorns, juniper berries (if available), mustard seeds, and some other things. I was seeing all those Arby's commercials for the Reuben, and got a monstrous craving. So I got some Tofurkey roast beef style slices and soaked them in salted water and pickling spices. I just googled to find out which ones to use, since I have a wide variety. I have seen a jar of pickling spice in the grocery for 79 cents, though. I have had corned beef, and as far as I could tell, this was close. And now I want a reuben!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts