3/4 cup plant milk or soy creamer (or a blend of both)<br><br>
1/4 cup corn starch<br><br>
1/2 cup silken tofu<br><br>
2 tsp brown sugar, Rapidura, or other sweetener<br><br>
salt & pepper to taste<br><br><br><br>
1 Tbsp margarine<br><br>
1 large onion, chopped<br><br>
1 large tomato, chopped (or 4 romas)<br><br>
2-3 large basil leaves, chopped (or 1.5 tsp dried basil, crumbled)<br><br><br><br><br><br>
Instructions:<br><br>
------------------------------------------------------<br><br><br><br>
Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray 8 ramekins or custard cups with cooking spray or lightly oil them.<br><br><br><br>
Combine the corn, milk/creamer, cornstarch, tofu, sweetener, and salt and pepper to taste in a food processor and process to a textured puree (it will be fairly runny).<br><br><br><br>
Heat the margarine over medium-high heat in large skillet. Add the chopped onion and saute unti transclucent, about 4 minutes. Add the tomato, raise heat, and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated off. Remove from heat and stir in basil.<br><br><br><br>
Divide the tomato mixture among the ramekins and top with the corn mixture. Place in a large roasting pan, place in the oven, and fill the roasting pan with hot water about halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake for about 1 hour or until firm.<br><br><br><br>
Makes 8 servings.<br><br><br><br><br><br>
Additional comments:<br><br>
------------------------------------------------------<br><br><br><br>
This pudding is best with fresh corn cut off the ear and fresh basil, but it's still pretty good with frozen kernels and dried basil. I wouldn't advise trying it with canned tomatoes, though. It makes a nice addition to a component plate with some kind of potatoes and a green vegetable.<br><br><br><br>
The 1/2 cup of tofu it calls for is about 1/3 of a 12-oz package of Mori-Nu. The other 2/3 of the package just happens to be the amount you need for V<a href="http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=27506" target="_blank">egan Banana Bread</a>! (3/4 cup)<br><br><br><br>
I adapted this from a recipe in <i>Passionate Vegetarian</i> that originally called for 2 large eggs instead of the tofu. I've made it both ways, and the tofu version gives a softer, more pudding-y consistency, while the egg version sets up firmer and drier. But they're both good. Feel free to experiment with other egg replacers if you like.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts