VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The point of this thread is to post funny-sounding words or just words that you happen to like, and their meaning. I'll start off with these few:

snollygoster- a shrewd, unprincipled person

sneesh- alternate pronunciation of "sneeze"

gewgaw- a decorative trinket

You're all snollygosters if you don't post here!!! So post!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
My favorite word is tact,not that its a rarely used word but the definition that I learned in the Army has stuck with me...Tact...the ability to tell someone to go to hell and have them look forward to taking the trip.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I like these words:

Cretin - Another word for a fool

Antidisestablishmentarianism - The belief that the Church of England should not disestabli****self with the state. Naturally, this isn't my ideology, but it's a pretty cool word.

Magnificent - No one uses this word anymore. I've started using it

Philistine - I'm a proletarian dude about 30% of the time, not really into glamourous living. But the other half, I'm calling other people philistines, because they look at me funny when i drive past them playing Mozart at full blast on my car stereo.

Arse - After watching Back Of The Y, (Masterpiece Television) which is an insane Tv show from New Zealand, and their hilarious Face/Off parody called Arse/Off, I've been thinking how great the British slang term for a "butt" is. So I like to use it.

**** - Now some people think that **** is a bad word, but I have to disagree. there isn't a single more sophisticated word than ****. Most people use it at least once a day, and it's used in the most casual of conversations. I strongly recommend that more people start saying ****, because **** is the best thing since sliced bread. It makes a great insult, and no other word can be as diverse as ****, because **** has literally a hundred different meanings, all depending on the context is used. For instance, If I were to say that Johnny wanted to ****, it can be harmless, but the word can also be used as a noun, such as "i don't know why, but I think Johhny is a **** to be used either as an insult or as a compliment, depending on the tone of voice used. And best of all, by saying ****, you can confuse the living daylights out of people, especially on the internet, as the presence of the word **** makes people wonder what it really means. Why would there be four asterisks?? Well, you can do it to confuse people in the interent, who think that the swear filter has edited a word out, when it's actually a British humouroist confusing people by typing out four asterisks in the place of a made up word, and then waiting to see if people know what the actual word is. The aforementioned British humourist then proceeds to laugh his arse off, because all these people are wondering what **** means, when it actually has no intrinsic value, and is simply four asterisks placed next to each other.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Oh yeha, the thingy brings up another ocol word:

Shiitake - One of the few decent jokes from Austin Powers 3 was the shiitake mushrooms joke. And I guess that it's a ool word because you can use it that way, although it's started to become overused.

And another cool word:

Preposterous - This word needs to be resurrected. It's such a cool word. I don't know why no one uses it any more.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Ok ummm....

I love the meanings of both Utopia and Euphoria.

But sounding... I love "Bugger Off" - noone in australia uses it, so it sounds different.

and Bullocks... noone in Australia uses this one either, but it sounds so funny with my dad's ****ney accent. I remember I said it when I was like 9, just copying my dad, having no idea what it meant, but I soon got told to "pack it in." Hehehe.

I love confusing aussies with ****ney slang too. When we first moved here, some ppl needed a translator to understand my dad

·
Registered
412 Posts
fledermaeuse (FLAY-der-mouse-ah) - german for "bats"

julenissen (YOO-le-ni-sen) - little scandanavian christmas elves

epididymis - part of the male anatomy

mungulwar (MUNG-gul-war) - hindi for Thursday

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
This thread reminds me of a conversation I had with my friend about words we liked or disliked. He said it was pointless to discuss. I said it was fun and therefor not pointless if I got some enjoyment out of it. Erm,,,yeah I live in North Dakota, we have a lot of time on our hands

But words I like:

Erm: not really a word, but I use it a lot. Its more of a noise, like an eggagerated um.

aquiescent: willing to take orders from another, submissive.... on and on,,, I just like the way it rolls of the tounge.

pugilist: now I dislike boxing, but I love this word.

lexicon: its just cool.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts