VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
American Made, Rebel Born
6,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so as all you lovely people know..i just got a new computer. give me suggestions for cool random software that isn't going to give my computer viruses or something. i.e photo editing software, graphic software, etc.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenickie View Post

so as all you lovely people know..i just got a new computer. give me suggestions for cool random software that isn't going to give my computer viruses or something. i.e photo editing software, graphic software, etc.
the gimp is good for photo editing. I think it is pretty comparable to stock photoshop (photoshop has more and better add ons but they can cost more than the software itself). If you are a heavy photoshop user you might find the interface weird. If you aren't a heavy photoshop user you can probably pick it up no problem.

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
Obviously Firefox for browsing and the OpenOffice.org suite (includes a word processor, spreadsheet, database, presentation software fairly similar to and compatible with Microsoft Office). I think I can second remilard's suggestion for the gimp for graphics/photo editing. I'm assuming you've got Windows XP, so you will need some kind of anti-virus software and anti-spyware. AdAware is supposed to be a good anti-spyware (, but I can't vouch for it since almost never use Microsoft software). One thing to look out for though, be careful just to install *one* anti-virus software since otherwise they can turn on eachother and crash your machine... Then there are various free chatting softwares. (I've used Gaim which works on many protocols including MSN, Yahoo, AIM/ICQ, IRC etc.) And you can use Skype for both chatting and talking.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I love the Gimp also, but I've also been using IrfanView as my other photo editor. It doesn't do all that much except for cropping, resizing, and quick contrast/color fixes, but that's all I need some days. In the time it takes for me to get the Gimp to be fully started, I can resize and crop the same image in IrfanView. I use AVG for virus scanning, Spybot Search and Destroy for spyware, the OpenOffice suite, and of course, Firefox.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I have a question........I am downloading Firefox, so does that mean my web browsing wont be Explorer now?

What is so much better about Firefox? My hubby told me about it, he read something, but i never followed up on it.

and i use MS Picture It for photo editing, what is better about Gimp? i see its free thats good!

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
What OS are you using Kenickie? Some of the recommendations may vary based on that.

I still like Photoshop, but I've used the Gimp as well on IS's machine, and it's sufficient. I just upgraded my MacOS, so now I've been playing around a bit with iPhoto too. Are you looking for "serious" editing/design software? Then, I'd recommend InDesign. It's a bit cumbersome at first, but not too bad once you get used to it.

Ditto to all those saying that they like Firefox. I'm going back and forth between that and Safari..both far more stable and faster than Explorer or Opera. I liked iCab as well, but with the most recent version, I've been having some trouble with web pages not being displayed properly.

wrt multimedia, I primarily use Limewire (for P2P file sharing) and iTunes (I know it's cliche, but it works well). I've Norton anti-virus software going on both machines currently..they haven't failed me in many years of computing.

Don't forget to download some games too! My current faves are pretty dorky: SolitaireTilDawn (like 40 card games), Maelstrom (arcade game), a Minesweeper knockoff, and Stella (Atari emulator).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.