VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when you use canned beans in a recipe, do you use the liquid or do you drain your beans? a lot of recipes dont say so i just guess depending on what im making, but im just curious about this.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeezycreezy View Post

I'm a drain and rinse man all the way. Bean liquid is pretty gross.

Cheers!

TJ
Me too. I dump in a colender and rinse until the water runs clear and no icky bean liquid remains.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I always drain them.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I’m with Jeezy all the way on this one. Bean liquid is thoroughly unappetizing. Besides, if you were making a risotto with kidney beans, for example, you wouldn’t want the bean juice to color the rice red. I dump it in a colander and rinse the beans clean.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
It's my understanding that the liquid contains a lot of the vitamins, so I use it if it's appropriate for the recipe- like a soup, stew or taco filling. If the recipe specifies or it's a type of recipe where the liquid wouldn't be appropriate, I drain and rinse.

·
Registered
496 Posts
The soak water is what contains most of your fart essence.
However, the bean goop is the same stuff as if you cooked it and then put it in the fridge... it gets thick.

I use the goop as often as possible b/c it contains plenty of nutrients in there I don't want to lose. And I don't become a gassy chassy, either.

However, there are some recipes in which I cannot use the goop, like "cowboy caviar" a salsa like recipe that is composed mostly of beans. (yum!)

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
I rarely use canned beans but when I do, I rinse them because they look disGUSting with that slimy goo and it's SOO high in sodium...Give me home cooked beans ANY day.

And orapunzel is correct: The gas producing 'stuff' is mostly in the water the beans SOAK in, not the juices they're canned in.

Beans have a lot of fiber though, some people will still get gas no matter WHAT they do to their beans.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I always used canned beans and I drain and rinse. I don't like the goop. I really have never been sucessful in cooking dried beans. I would let them soak overnight, cook them for the amount of recommended time and they were still tough as heck. How in the world do all of you dry bean eaters cook them so they are soft and edible?

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
According to the bean website I was just reading, that's a sign that you may have hard water which is interfering with the cooking. Possible remedies include adding 1/8 tsp baking soda to neutralize the minerals in the water, or cooking them in bottled water.

www.centralbean.com

·
Registered
887 Posts
I'm a rinser here too!
Unless I'm using them in like a taco soup or something, then the extra liquids help to make the "soup".

Michelle

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Sunshine legal, there are several bean-cooking threads on VB, but I think Tess probably already gave you your solution - Good luck whatever method you use.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
The "goop" is probably protein and starch from the beans. I wouldn't eat canned beans unless I was starving. They are over-priced compared to dry beans, which is what they are made from.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Here's the answer......... do not put salt in the water. If you put salt in the water while cooking the beans will never cook right. No one ever tells us that but that's the secret. Season AFTER cooking.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts