VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey...

i'm taking a foods class at school, i'm the only vegetarian in the class so people are amazed by me i guess
. anyway.... we're doing cooking demos and my teacher wants be to do tofu. the thing is, i don't know how to cook it. i've attempted many times, but with no success. today i did a deep-fry with cornstarch and firm tofu and an orange glaze, that was alright... but still very bland. and i want something people will really like just to prove them wrong

so... does anyone have any suggestions on how to cook really flavorful tofu??

·
Registered
859 Posts
I like it best in puddings, but it is also good baked. You cut it into slices, arrange the slices on top of some clean folded towels, put more towels on top, and then several heavy books to press out the excess moisture. Then you marinate it for a really long time and bake it in the oven. It's yummy!

·
Registered
91 Posts
veggie lasagna is great. i have this super great recipe for cashew 'cheese' sauce if anyone wants it. maybe you could make a dessert? have you ever had jamaican food? jerk tofu is amazing!!! my partner works in a jamaican restaurant and he makes a mean tofu. anyways, you can buy jerk sauce in grocery stores and it is really good for marinating and then frying. tofu is generally better when it is well cooked.

baked tofu with a side of mashed potatoes topped with muchroom gravy is always a hit.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How about marinating your sliced tofu in tamari, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, dash of brown rice vinegar and mirin if you have.

Then dredge it in a mixture of ww flour and sesame seed then shallow fry it. forms a great crust(sesame seed crust can be fragile! ithink I only crusted one side last time )

serve on top of soba noodles, w/ sauteed celery, onion and carrots

very good

·
Registered
33 Posts
Whoa marg!
That's my signature dish! Except your marinade sounds even better than mine. (I only use the first 3 ingredients.) I'll have to try it.

I totally second this idea. It is so yummy, I remember feeding it to my total carnivore ex-bf (I mean this guy would eat roadkill, as long as he knew when it died
). And he took a bite, looked up in total shock and said, "Wow! This is delicious!"

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
marg- that is a GREAT idea! i'm trying that tonight!

try this: to make tofu taste more like "meat," freeze it, let it defrost, drain and press to make it really dense. pat it dry and saute it. add it to any stir-fry and presto! yummy food!

any with good recipes for soft/silken tofu??

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
It should be noted that there are two kinds of tofu out there that probably should be prepared differently. My attempts to fry slabs of silken tofu have been dissapointing.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wow guys, these are all great suggestions. i think i like marg's the most though, i'm probably going to use that... although i don't know what soba noodles are?? i'm guessing they're like ramen? anyway... i'd probably serve it over brown rice just for the color

thanx alot... i'll tell ya how it goes

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Silken tofu makes great desserts. I make a simple chocolate mousse by simply whirring silken tofu in the food processor with melted vegan chocolate chips and some turbinado or other sweetener to taste. The same process works with fruit, rather than (or in addition to) chocolate.

·
Registered
603 Posts
If you want something simple but yum, cook it the way the Japanese do. Fry it in sesame oil (you got to use a lot of oil). You have to turn it over a lot. It makes it tasty and crispy on the outside and soft in the middle. It's YUM.

You could also try marinating the tofu overnight before frying. I'm sure there are lots of marinate recipes on the food threads.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
if i were to make it for people who have never had tofu before i would use the freeze method to make sure the texture does not freak them out.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanx for the help everyone...

my tofu sampler turned out great.

i froze it for a few days first, then marinated it for a long time in sesame oil, ginger, soy sauce, garlic, honey, cumin, salt and pepper... then coated it in crushed and seasoned crackers for a crispier outside, and fried it.

then i served that over ramen noodles, most guys didn't like it but hey... i was serving (for the most part) ignorant 15 yr olds... so it was a success!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.