VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been researching foods, and I read that vegan type foods from restaurants that are cooked in the same oil used to cook meat, egg, or dairy products are not Vegan. I'm curious about this because I have a deep fryer at home, but my family are omnis, and my little brothers love chicken nuggets so sometimes chicken nuggets are cooked in the oil. I have some frozen vegan french fries, but I just wanted to make sure that cooking meat in the same oil isn't vegan so I can find another way to cook them or clean out the fryer before using it to cook anything for myself.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Cooking oil is one of those veg*n gray areas that you can make your own decisions about I think, similar to products that say "May contain traces of... (insert animal product here)"

Eating vegan food cooked in the same oil doesn't contribute to the meat industry or anything, cooking your fries in the same oil as your brothers nuggets won't kill any more chickens. However there is the "ick" factor of cross contamination, if the idea grosses you out then by all means clean out the fryer and use different oil.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Cooking oil is one of those veg*n gray areas that you can make your own decisions about I think, similar to products that say "May contain traces of... (insert animal product here)"

Eating vegan food cooked in the same oil doesn't contribute to the meat industry or anything, cooking your fries in the same oil as your brothers nuggets won't kill any more chickens. However there is the "ick" factor of cross contamination, if the idea grosses you out then by all means clean out the fryer and use different oil.
Thanks for the reply! When I think about it, it does gross me out a little, and I get grossed out just seeing the box or the chicken (they only eat dino shaped nuggets, and I guess the idea of marketing eating dinosaurs or chicken disgusts me). Since I don't eat or plan on eating many fried things, I'll probably not use the fryer too often, or only use it when the oil is low or dirty and ready to be changed so I can use it before anyone else cooks with it. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing a lot of harm by using the oil because my family also had some tortilla chips earlier (and I had one) that I think might have been fried in the fryer after making their beef taquitos.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Personally I try not eat food that has been cooked on the same surface as meat. Same with oil. But I'm picky and the thought of meat touching my immaculate black bean burger makes me a tad queesy.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Have you heard of shallow frying? It's pretty much the same process as deep frying but without the deep fryer. You fill a frying pan with oil and put your food in. The oil won't be as deep as in the deep fryer, hence calling it shallow frying, so you'll have to flip your fries to cook both sides. It might be an option if you don't want to use the contaminated oil and the deep fryer doesn't need to be changed yet.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellie View Post

Have you heard of shallow frying? It's pretty much the same process as deep frying but without the deep fryer. You fill a frying pan with oil and put your food in. The oil won't be as deep as in the deep fryer, hence calling it shallow frying, so you'll have to flip your fries to cook both sides. It might be an option if you don't want to use the contaminated oil and the deep fryer doesn't need to be changed yet.
Thanks! I have heard of that, but never tried it. It seems pretty simple though, so if I need to fry anything I'll probably use this option if people have been cooking meat in our deep fryer.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Go with oven fries! I've started buying organic russet potatoes, and sliced up as fries, are delicious in the oven! All you need is a cookie sheet, you can line with foil, and spray with cooking spray. Line up the potatoe sticks, spray their tops with oil. Bake at 425F. for 15 min., turn, bake another 15 min. Or just bake frozen ones.

I admit, fries are one thing I don't always question if I'm out, hungry, and have nothing else. Usually, I avoid it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I dont really mind it... I worried at first but then I realized how it limits me when I go out.

The main thing that concerns and really gets under my skin is when I get a order and..... It has a little piece of chicken or something else mixed in from the last batch.

I dont mix stuff at home though.... My stuff has its own oil. So If i can help it, I dont allow it.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
You could tip out the "omni oil" into a container everytime you wanted to fry, and then put your own oil in. Bit of a hassle to do, but at least the cross-contamination and the meaty taste in the oil would be greatly reduced.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I wouldn't want my food cooked in pure bacon fat or in a deep fryer after a raw fish fry or something... but if the occasional processed meat item like chicken nuggets goes in the same oil, I probably wouldn't worry about it. It's a personal thing you have to decide for yourself, really.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Like someone said already, shallow frying is an option. although it isn't as easy to fry some things like tempura or fritters for example.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts