VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to introduce veggie foods to someone who doesn't eat beans or mushrooms. Unfortunately, this wipes out almost EVERYTHING I normally cook.
All I've been making lately is pasta... do you have any other hearty suggestions that are omni-friendly?

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Is it that they don't like beans, or that they can't tolerate them? If it's a taste issue, maybe you could sneak in some lentils or chickpeas.

Seitan fajitas are a bit hit usually with my omni family/friends. Tofu-ricotta lasagna (though I know that's pasta) is popular too. What about veggie chili with some sort of mock meat instead of beans? Or:

Grilled vegetable sandwiches (with hummus) and tomato soup.
Vegetable soup with bread or maybe some rice/pasta/barley in the soup
tacos with soya "meat"
veggie burgers

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestions!

I know with mushrooms it's mostly a mental thing ("I'm not gonna eat fungus") so I'm betting it's the same with beans. He just says they're "gross."

How do you prepare your seitan for fajitas? I always end up drowning mine in sauce because my homemade stuff is kind of bland.

·
Registered
468 Posts
lol this is like cooking for my family....lil bro won't eat anything related to an onion or that he hasn't heard of before, dad won't eat anything a/ any type of nut in it, mom won't eat strawberries, squash, avocadoes etc.

how about a stir-fry?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Get some of those fake chicken burger things from frys those things are really really nice. Probably doesnt even matter what brand as they all seem good to me so far
Then make him/her a veggie chicken buger with lots of lettuce or what ever salads you like and condiments etc. easy tastie and would def go down well for someone scoffing at vegetarian/vegan food. I freaking love them and I havent been vegetarian for very long.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
i believe you are vegan so i suggest only some vegan foods i know:

aloo gobi

2-3 tbsp oil (cocnut and canola preferrably)
2 hot green chiles, stemmed, seeded ad minced
1 tbsp ginger
2 tsp cumin seeds
4 medium sized yellow potatoes, diced
1 large cauliflower head, cut into flowerets
1/4 to 3/4 cup of water
4 medium sized tomatoes quartered
1 tbsp coriander
2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp garam masala
2 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp salt

Heat oil in a large-size saucepan over medium heat.
When it is hot but not smoking, add chiles, ginger and cumin seeds, and fry until cumin seeds begin to pop, for about 5 minutes. Drop in potatoes ad cauliflower and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until vegetavles pick up a few brown spots.
Add water, tomatoes, coriander, turmeric, garam masala, brown sugar and salt. Stir well, cover, and gently cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. If vegetables stick to the pan, add more water. Stir gently to avoid mashing or breaking.

curry rice with veggies and nuts

1 onion, chopped
1 red or yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
2 tbsp water
3 tsp curry powder
1 tsp green curry paste
3 cups vegetable broth
2 cups brown basmati rice
2 cups broccoli florets
2 cups cauliflower florets
1 small carrot, peeled and cut into julienne strips
1 tbsp minced garlic
15 oz can coconut milk
1/2 cip toasted silvered almonds

Choose large skillet with a tight fitting lid. Cook the onion, pepper and water over medium-high heat for bout 5 minutes until the onion is soft
Add the curry powder, green curry paste and vegetable broth. Stir well
Add the rice. bring the mixture to a soft boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for about 30 minutes, until the rice is tender
While the rice is cooking, bring a large pot of water to boil and blanch the broccoli, cauliflower and carrot for 1 minute.
When the rice is finished cooking, stir in the garlic and coconut milk along with the blanched vegetables. Heat through, but do not bring to a boil again. Stir in the almonds just before serving.

eggplant caponata

1 large-size globe eggplant, peeled and diced (about 5 cups)
2 tsp olive oil or water
1 onion, finely chopped
3 celery stalks, finely diced
1 can (170g.) tomato paste
1 tbsp granulated sugar
1/4 cup capers, drained
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
3 cups water
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes

In a pot with a steamer basket, steam eggplant until soft, 10 to 15 min.
Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a soup pot. Saute onion and celery for about 10 minutes. Add eggplant and saute for a few minutes longer
Add tomato paste, sugar, capers, vinegar, water, salt and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until thick and flavoreful.
Remove from heat, let cool, and serve with crackers or crispy bread

pietmontese rice salad

‎2 1/2 cups vegetarian broth
1 1/2 cuos brown basmati, white basmati or long grain rice
1/2 pound fresh aspragus, cut into 1 inch pieces
4 green onions, chopped
1 (7-ounce) marinated artichoke hearts, rinsed and sliced
2 roasted red peppers, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 cup sliced green olives
2 tbsp capers
2 tbsp parsley
2 tbsp basil

Dressing:
1 head roasted garlic, squeezed out of the peels
1/2 cup chick pea or vegetarian broth
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 pepper

1/4 cup toasted pine nuts or silvered almonds

To cook the rice bring the broth to a boil in a medium saucepan with a tightly fitting lid. Slowly add the rice in a stream, bring back to a boil, cover, and reduce the heat to the lower setting. Cook white rice for 15 minutes and brown rice for 30-45 minutes. Fluf with a fork and let set a few minutes before scrapping into a large salad bowl.
Meanwhile, steam the asparagus until crisp tender, and rinse under cold running water to stop cooking. Drain very well. Prepare the other vegetables and herbs.
Blend the dressing ingredients together in a blender or mini chopper until smooth. Toss with the warm rice and add the asparagus, remaining vegetables and herbs. Cover and refrigirate for 4 hours. Serve with room temperature with nuts sprinkled on top.

galiky leek and artichoke soup

‎2 tbs polive oil
2 medium leeks, white parts chopped
9 cloves garlic, peeled
2 cups vegetable broth
2 9.9 oz jars artichoke hearts, rinsed and drained or 10 oz frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
2 medium boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
6 fresh thyme springs
2 tsp lemon huice
1 tbsp/person basil pesto

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks and garlic and sautee 5 minutes, or until leeks are softened and translucent. Add broth, artichokes, potatoes, thyme and 2 cups water; cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; season with salt and pepper, if desired; and simmer, partially covered, 20-25 minutes or until potatoes and garlic are very tender
Remove thyme springs, and srip remaining thyme leaves into soup pot. Transfer soup to blender and blend until smooth. Return to pot and stir in lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Ladle soup into bowls, and garnish each with 1 tbsp pesto

eggplant spread

‎2 tbsp salt
1 small italian eggplant, cut into slices
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 medium yellow onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp chopped parsley
1 tbsp lemon juice
hot sauce, to taste

Prepare stove-top smoker with wood chips
Sprinkle fine layer of salt on baking sheet. Place eggplant slices on salt, and salt eggplant tops. Let stand for 15 minutes
Rinse eggplant skices under cold water and pat dry. arrange eggplant slices on smoking rack. Smoke eggplant slices 25 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat, leave covered, and cool to room temperature
Meanwhile heat oil in small skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook 10 minutes, or until onion is tender and lightly browned, stirring occasionally
Chop cooled eggplant or coarsely pureed textured. Transfer to bowl, and stir in onion and garlic, parsley, lemon juice and hot sauce. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Serve immidiately, or refrigerate up to 2 days

tempeh and eggplant potpie

For Filling:
2 cups (165 g) diced eggplant (1 small globe eggplant or 2 Asian eggplants)
1 package (8 ounces, or 225 g) tempeh, cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes
2 tablespoons (30 ml) water or olive oil
1 small-size yellow onion, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 teaspoon (2 g) fennel seeds
1 to 2 tablespoons (8 to 16 g) capers, rinsed
2 tablespoons (30 ml) balsamic vinegar
1 can or jar ( 15 ounces, or 420 g) tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes or hot sauce
Salt and pepper, to taste

For Biscuit Dough:
1 2/3 cups (210 g) all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon (15 g) baking powder (look for aluminum-free)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup (160 ml) nondairy milk (soy, rice, almond, hazelnut, hemp, or oat)
1/3 cup (80 ml) canola oil or nondairy, nonhydrogenated butter (such as Earth Balance), melted

Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C, or gas mark 7). Coat 4 or 6 individual ramekins with oil, and set aside. You also can use a 9-inch (23 cm) square pan or a rectangular pan.

To make filling, steam eggplant and tempeh for 10 to 15 minutes, until eggplant is soft and translucent. At the same time, add water or oil to a large-size sauté pan and cook onion and celery until soft. Add fennel seeds, capers, and vinegar, and sauté for 1 minute. Add tomato sauce, red pepper flakes, and cooked tempeh and eggplant. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, prepare biscuit dough. Place flour, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl, and stir together. Pour in nondairy milk and butter or oil, and mix just until dry ingredients are evenly moistened. The dough should be lumpy and sticky, not smooth like cake batter.

Remove sauté pan from heat, and season filling with salt and pepper, to taste.

Divide filling evenly among prepared ramekins. Drop dough by small spoonfuls on top of each ramekin. Carefully spread dough with back of spoon so it evenly covers filling. Bake pot pies until crust is golden, about 15 minutes. Serve hot.

spicy potato wedges

4-6 potatoes, washed and unpeeled
2 tsps Cajun spice mix (garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, dried cumin, cayenne pepper, dried oregano, dried thyme)
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tbsp olive oil

Pre-heat the oven to 400F. Boil the potatoes until nearly cooked
Leaving the skins on potatoes, cut them into quarters
Place potatoes in a roasting dish and cover them evenly with the spices, salt, crushed garlic and olive oil until well coated
Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes until cooked through, crisp and golden brown. Serve hot

german style potato salad

8 oz. baby red potatoes, cut into 1- x ½-inch pieces
4 oz. green beans
2-3 tbs olive oil
3 green onions, white and pale green parts chopped (¼ cup)
2 tbs white wine or white balsamic vinegar
2 tbs chopped fresh parsley
1 tbs chopped fresh dill
3-4 cups loosely packed baby spinach leaves, very coarsely chopped

Cook potatoes in pot of boiling saled water 8 minutes, or until tender. Add green beans during the last minute of cooking.
Meanwhile, heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add green onions. Cook 3-4 minutes, or until tender but not browned. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar.
Drain potatoes and green beans. Toss with olive oil mixture, parsley, and dill. Season with salt & pepper. Add spinach and toss to coat.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
For the seitan fajitas, I use pre-made seitan as I haven't been able to make it superbly yet.
I just slice into thin strips and then add it near the end of cooking the veg. Shredded seitan makes a nice base for a BBQ sandwich too.

·
Registered
963 Posts
What about casseroles with rice or potatoes being the base then adding veggies and maybe some tvp? Add a nice salad on the side.

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
I often make 'competition style' Texas red chili (meaning no beans). I also go on week-long stretches where I eat potato and onion pierogi daily.

I guess I eat a lot of beans otherwise though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here is the hummus recipe I use, adapted from one found on Allrecipes. It is not necessarily "authentic", but it tastes amazing. I also usually quadruple the below recipe. My recipes are all measured in grams, but I converted it as close as I could, just in case you don't have a scale:

Yield is about 1 1/4 cups

Hummus
1 cup (164g) boiled garbanzo beans (about 1/2 of that before cooking)
1 TBSP (14g) raw sesame seeds, ground (or tahini)
2 tsp (9g) extra virgin olive oil
1/8 cup (28g) lemon juice
2 cloves (6g) garlic, minced
1/2 TBSP (3g) crushed red pepper
1/3 TBSP (3g) cumin, ground
1/4 tsp (0.5g) salt
1/4 tsp (0.4g) cayenne pepper

NOTES:
* If using sesame seeds, grind them into a powder or paste (I use a Krups FastTouch coffee grinder) for about 10 seconds to make powder -- paste seems unnecessary.
* Cook, drain and cool chickpeas beforehand if you are not using the canned variety. I cook mine without salt until tender, which takes an hour to an hour and a half if I soak them for 6+ hours beforehand.

1. Place garlic in a blender or food processor and mince it before adding additional ingredients.
2. Place the garbanzo beans, ground sesame seeds (or tahini), lemon juice and salt in a blender or food processor. If preferred, add olive oil at this stage, otherwise it can be drizzled on top later.
3. Blend until smooth. Transfer mixture to a serving bowl.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Will he eat refried beans? If so, you could make him some tacos with refried beans, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and whatever other taco fillings you normally use. You could throw some fake burger crumbles in there or not.

There are also the Chickpea Cutlets from Veganomicon. They have beans, but taste nothing like a bean when you get done with them. In my opinion, they're better baked rather than fried.

If you don't have the Veganomicon, you might wanna consider getting it. Lots of great recipes in there that he (and you!) might really like.

There's also stir-fry and rice. He might be used to having meat chunks in it, but you could substitute it with some fake meat of some sort or just throw some peanuts in it if he misses his protein or wants some added texture.

Love this stuff---> Orange Chicken Style Tofu

1 - 11 of 11 Posts