VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm cooking for a group at church tomorrow night, and I could use critiques of my possible menu, and suggestions for alternatives.

I'm planning to make a couple of pots of soup: wild rice and mushroom (more for the adults) and either potato-corn chowder or refried bean topped with tortilla chips. Do either of the second two sound kid-friendly enough? If not, bring on the idea! I'm open to preparing something other than soup, but I want to make it tonight and reheat tomorrow. We'll be having bread and salad as well.

The group are omnis, but they will be expecting vegetarian food. I don't have any kids, so I'm not used to cooking for them. I welcome help and suggestions. Thanks!

· Registered
438 Posts
what about making one a chili, instead? the kids can dip the tortilla chips in it (which is fun, of course!)

i'm not sure about the funding, but what about a veggie tray and dip, too? that's quick and easy, but dipping, of course = fun.

· Registered
14,665 Posts
Chili, especially a vegetarian one, might have a lot of "chunks" and obvious/visible vegetables for a lot of little kids.

In my experience, most are probably going to prefer a pureed or creamy soup free of suspicious green or other-colored bits; so either of your choices would probably be fine. The bean with chips to dip would be a huge hit at my house for sure.

A simple tomato soup (maybe with alphabet pasta) is another idea, and would be fun too. Most kids like, and are familier with tomato soup.

They could top it with Goldfish crackers, croutons, shredded cheese, tortilla chips or those "oyster" crackers (small, round saltine soup crackers that have no oysters in them whatsoever).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.